Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Question Veterans healthcare question

I received bad news tonight. I've known that my parents are financially hitting rock bottom now for awhile, and I've been helping them out in any way I can through my mother. My dad's a former, very rigid and proud marine. He'd never admit that they're on the verge of a financial collapse, he'd never ask for any type of assistance and he'll work until he's dead just so he can say "I did it without anyone helping me."

My parents are both in their 70's and my mothers medical conditions are getting worse. She's actually not keeping doctors appointments and postponing a surgery, because she knows they can't afford it. I know they have Medicare and an AARP supplemental but my father won't talk about it much.

My brother called tonight and said more or less "it's time for a family intervention." Something I suggested about three years ago but…… nevermind. I'm frantically searching through medical assistance websites because the family meeting will probably take place next weekend.

I've been looking at the VA website and links. If I'm reading it correctly, medical assistance is very limited unless you're active duty or were injured during duty. Have any of you had experience in this area? I'd sure appreciate any suggestions. My parents live in Maryland.

Is a spouse eligible for any type of VA assistance?
    If one of them would pass away. Are either of them eligible for a government paid, military burial?
    What do you think of the VA hospitals?

My father served way back in the late 1950's to early 60's. Honorable discharge.

Default Re: Veterans healthcare question

One small bit to add. If he was ever exposed to agent orange in any way, and suffers any medical condition that could have been caused by that, he possibly can get vets payments for that.

Not sure if AO was used in the early '60s. Just sayin'

(Allegheny County)

Are there any VA councilors who can outline benefit guidelines?

I think I heard there are varying levels of benefits dependent on certain criteria.

The agent orange thing is something to look into. They used it around our base and I have filled out a couple questionaires since 72 regarding my possible exposure.

Good luck and I hope things can work out to ease their financial burden.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

I was medically retired from the Navy and now receive health care from the VA. If your father has a service connected disability he may be eligible for some level of health care. I'd advise seeing a VA councilors where he lives.

As far as the quality of the VA health care system. I truly believe most of the doctors and nurses there finished last in thier class. And I've been to several VA hospitals.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    I received bad news tonight. I've known that my parents are financially hitting rock bottom now for awhile, and I've been helping them out in any way I can through my mother. My dad's a former, very rigid and proud marine. He'd never admit that they're on the verge of a financial collapse, he'd never ask for any type of assistance and he'll work until he's dead just so he can say "I did it without anyone helping me."

Because your father is not "RETIRED" military, he can apply for a Pension through the VA.

My parents are both in their 70's and my mothers medical conditions are getting worse. She's actually not keeping doctors appointments and postponing a surgery, because she knows they can't afford it. I know they have Medicare and an AARP supplemental but my father won't talk about it much.

My brother called tonight and said more or less "it's time for a family intervention." Something I suggested about three years ago but…… nevermind. I'm frantically searching through medical assistance websites because the family meeting will probably take place next weekend.
    Both your parents can recieve whatever healthcare they need today using Medicare and AARP supplement. However, whatever is not covered they would have to pay out of pocket by either taking out loans, using equity in a house, or other means.

I've been looking at the VA website and links. If I'm reading it correctly, medical assistance is very limited unless you're active duty or were injured during duty. Have any of you had experience in this area? I'd sure appreciate any suggestions. My parents live in Maryland.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"The VA uses a tier level system for treatment of Veterans. For example Tier one would be Veterans that are 100% rated disabled. Tier 2 would be those who are rated 50-90% disabled etc...and finally those who served but are not rated. Also, the VA usually will only treat those injuries and medical conditions that are related to the injury or wound recieved while in the service. However, since your father is on medicare, he can us a VA Facitliy for all of his healthcare needs. The VA will merely bill medicare for his treatments. Medications: If your father has an expensive medication that is not covered or is only minimumly covered by his insurance plans, then by all means, have him take the script to the VA to have it filled, scripts are only 8-10 dollars, very very reasonable. Please do more research on the Script info.[/COLOR]

Is a spouse eligible for any type of VA assistance? Generally speaking, NO. There are some exclusions like she is a non-remarried survivor of a killed in action service member. Obviously this doesn't apply here.
    If one of them would pass away. Are either of them eligible for a government paid, military burial? Your father is eligible for a Military Funeral and a flag. The actual cost of burial is still on the family minus a small headstone and whatever Social Security kicks in. Yes, the VA will provide a Flag and Headstone. If burial plots have not been purchased yet, consider contacting one of the national cemetaries and gather information. Arlington is reserved for special people Silver Star, Medal of Honor, Presidents, Congressman etc...Closest National Cemetary to you might be Fort IndianTown Gap National Cemetary. Your mother, if she passed first, would be eligible for burial at a National Cemetary, again, double check the info I'm providing.
    What do you think of the VA hospitals? The VA hospitals I've been treated in and have friends and fellow service members been treated in have said nothing but great things. My father uses Lebanon VA exclusively for all his medical, he's 70. However, like any other medical care Facility, it all depends on the local admin. Some are good, some are great, and some I wouldn't take my dog too. Finding a good one is hit or miss.

My father served way back in the late 1950's to early 60's. Honorable discharge.
    Your father is eligible to apply for a VA pension, apply for treatment at VA hospitals as his primary Care Facility, and if he was injured or wounded while serving, he can apply for disability benefits. Disability Benefits and VA Pension are two completely different things.

I hope this has helped you. PM me is you have detailed questions or I can be of further assistance to you.

CL

(Lancaster County)

My Dad was in the army and after his discharge he got MS. The VA took care of all his medical needs and gave him a pension when could no longer work. As far as the VA hospital He was at the one in Lebanon ,PA back then it was kind of limited in what they could do. I believe the VA hospitals are a lot better now. But My Mother and I could not get health care through the VA. My Dad was as proud as anybody the company he worked for allowed him to work a position that he could do in his wheelchair. But the rules might have changed since then. My thoughts and prayers are with your Mom & Dad. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

(Franklin County)

Wow guys, Thanks so much for your input. I feel quite a bit more at ease and the information is greatly appreciated. R+ to you all.