Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to keep Blued finish looking nice!

The PT1911 I just picked up is the first blued handgun I have owned. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep her looking good? It seems like the finish is real sensitive...will it get holster burn? What about scratching? Ant tips will be appreciated.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bedford County)

Default Re: How to keep Blued finish looking nice!

Most of the Taurus 1911's I have seen were matte blued.

Matte blue will scuff easier than a polished blue finish. Best bet is to simply keep it protected with a thin coat of high quality gun oil.

I like a leather holster, but a nylon lined holster will be easier on your finish.

If it was mine, I would keep it lubed and protected, but I would also treat it like a combat weapon. Holster wear, scuffs and scratches are part of life with a carry gun. Run that bad boy till the blue is gone, then run it some more.

Later in life you could always have it hard chromed or sprayed with a finish that is more durable. Norrells' ceramic is great.

(Centre County)

Buckmark has it correct. There's not much you can do if it is in and out of a holster a lot (other than get a holster that has some type of a lining that may ease the wear on the edges. Just keep it wiped down good. All firearms are going to have the bluing, browning, or even stainless steel show wear if you use them. That is what adds character to the gun.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    Most of the Taurus 1911's I have seen were matte blued.

Matte blue will scuff easier than a polished blue finish. Best bet is to simply keep it protected with a thin coat of high quality gun oil.

I like a leather holster, but a nylon lined holster will be easier on your finish.

If it was mine, I would keep it lubed and protected, but I would also treat it like a combat weapon. Holster wear, scuffs and scratches are part of life with a carry gun. Run that bad boy till the blue is gone, then run it some more.

Later in life you could always have it hard chromed or sprayed with a finish that is more durable. Norrells' ceramic is great.
    Good advice...I do really like the looks of the old 1911's, they have that almost brown patine to them from wear. Just like a new car though, that first cherry in the door really hurts!

The PT1911s are notorious for having bad finishes. Taurus has a 1 year warranty on the finish, so if you noticed a lot of wear, you can send it back to Taurus. My advice would be to refinish it yourself with Norrells or KG Gunkote or pay a professional. I refinished my PT1911 and I couldn't be happier with the results.

(Lawrence County)

Leather lined Kydex is your friend.

Lycanaskmyeclipsethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The PT1911s are notorious for having bad finishes. Taurus has a 1 year warranty on the finish, so if you noticed a lot of wear, you can send it back to Taurus. My advice would be to refinish it yourself with Norrells or KG Gunkote or pay a professional. I refinished my PT1911 and I couldn't be happier with the results.

How did you get the logos off? Were they engraved or just silk screened? Those logo are my only pet peave with Taurus...