Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Role Players Needed for FOF Training Course

As is announced elsewhere, the F.I.R.E. Institute is running a two day personal tactics course on Saturday October 31 and Sunday November 1. This course includes putting people into scenarios which involve a number of people who are to play out various roles.

For example: A scenario might involve an aggressive panhandler, who becomes abusive and starts mauling a woman as the student and a friend walk by on the street. In this scenario, there has to be the two students, the scenario referee (an instructor), the panhandler, the victim, and, preferably, other bystanders who may or may not be instructed to intervene or interfere, and an arriving police officer. Someone also videotapes the entire scenario for each set of students who run through it.

Scenarios are indoors and outdoors, and involve street scenes and situations in and around cars. A typical scenario plays out in about two minutes. THERE ARE NO REAL FIREARMS OR LIVE AMMUNITION INVOLVED – OR EVEN PERMITTED ON THE PREMISES DURING THESE SCENARIOS. Simulated munitions are used in many scenarios, but these are not firearms. There is no chance, in other words, of getting shot while playing these roles. (If there were, I would not be there.)

That means four or five people are involved, in addition to the students and instructor. The more people we have working most scenarios the better the experience for the students.

This requires some manpower, and we need volunteers.

The commitment of volunteers is to show up for one entire day (or both if you want), and be prepared to play roles. It is great for aspiring actors or natural hams.

The F.I.R.E. Institute will provide you with instructions on what to do, safety equipment, and lunch. We will also give volunteers future consideration when it comes time they want to enroll in a course.

Volunteering in these capacities is quite educational, as the role players see first hand how things play out in different scenarios with different people. They also observe the debriefings and participate in the discussion about what happened, what they were thinking, etc.

For someone who wants to see force-on-force training, but can't afford to take the course at present, this is a good deal. We also very much appreciate the help.

One does NOT need to be trained in any shooting discipline to volunteer in this capacity. In fact, totally untrained people often make better role players, because their reactions are not informed by any perceived tactical considerations. Therefore, buddies, wives and girlfriends are very welcome additions to the crew.

If you have an interest in participating on either day (or both days) please send me an IM or call me at (412) 381-8035.

PeteG

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Role Players Needed for FOF Training Course

You've got an IM.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by eXceLon View Post
    You've got an IM.
    cool

I know "Dagny" and "GuyMontag" said they would be there as well.

I have had a few complications with my schedule, but it looks like I can do Saturday at least and maybe the evening session Sunday.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    cool

I know "Dagny" and "GuyMontag" said they would be there as well.

I have had a few complications with my schedule, but it looks like I can do Saturday at least and maybe the evening session Sunday.
    Too bad about the schedule. Rats.

Would your wife be interested in playing roles? We always need females who kick and scream and swoon and then shoot you.

(Allegheny County)

not volunteering for the whole day, but if i am around and can help out for a couple of hours i will, if thats ok with you.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWhiteGuy View Post
    not volunteering for the whole day, but if i am around and can help out for a couple of hours i will, if thats ok with you.
    We appreciate the offer, but it would not work to have people dropping in and out. Once these scenarios start running, it would be very distracting to try and keep track of people coming and going, or briefing new people on what is transpiring. The volunteer crew is an important part of the scenarios themselves, and there is some time that must be invested giving people thier roles and working things out between the different characters.

If you just want to observe, however, you are welcome. Just check in with me when you get on site, and we will put you in a spot where it is safe to observe.

Peter

(Allegheny County)

Hey Pete
    I sent a PM in PMSC.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Hey Pete
    I sent a PM in PMSC.
    No receipt. Please try again.

(Allegheny County)

Pete, count me in for Sunday if you have a roll that doesn't include being thrown around, still trying to get over this damn head/neck injury from January.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Too bad you're on the wrong side of the state.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast