Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Talking Hey Need some advise

ok this is probably kind of a lame question but i just turned 19 and i plan on moving out and i want to get a shotgun for HD im really liking the mossberg 590A1 8+1 w/ ghost ring sights does anyone thing thats a good choice....and also is there any waiting period on a shotgun please any advise would b helpful o and any opinions on ammo mainly for 00 buck 2 3/4 and slug

thank you

Default Re: Hey Need some advise

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappi98 View Post
    ok this is probably kind of a lame question but i just turned 19 and i plan on moving out and i want to get a shotgun for HD im really liking the mossberg 590A1 8+1 w/ ghost ring sights does anyone thing thats a good choice....and also is there any waiting period on a shotgun please any advise would b helpful o and any opinions on ammo mainly for 00 buck 2 3/4 and slug

thank you
    I'm not big into shotguns or anything. But, my buddy has a Mossberg 500 for home defense and loves it. I'll have to ask him what ammo he uses.

And, I don't believe there is a wait when purchasing a shotgun (or rifle). But, I'm sure someone else will chime in and confirm this.

(Lancaster County)

Really wow. Just wow. Ok how bout a Saiga 12

(Lackawanna County)

I love my Mossbergs. It might cost more, but if you can afford it get a mariner. They're available in 500 and 590, and are all stainless steel. Mines been in the rain, shower, et cetera with no issue. It's the only gun I almost never clean. It's been about a year and a half with several hundred rounds and many times being really wet with no issue. Realize, though, that they cost about $130 more than the standard version.

As far as ammo, it would depend on the construction of your house. Slugs are kind of pointless in a HD shotgun. You lose the spread and gain penetration and range which are downsides indoors in a residential area. As far as buck, if you're house is a newer house with drywall and all of that, 000 is better as it doesn't overpenetrate and offers less risk of injuring innocent people outside. If you're in a less densely populated area then 00 offers better knockdown power, albeit less rounds to hit your target.

Mossberg 590 Mariner:

Edit: I've never had any waiting period for any guns, including long guns under the age of 21.
    Last edited by nepawolf; October 20th, 2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Forgot a question

(York County)

Buying from a retail store you will need to pass a backround check, which is based on this:

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...sfer-firearms/

there will not be more than a 10(+/-) minute wait.

Its a pass/fail unless they put you in "research", I can't help you much as to why you would be put in research. Internet loore says that too many firearms in too short a time will throw this flag, among other things. I must not be buying enough guns for that then.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lancaster County)

Question Re: Hey Need some advise

A background check for a shottie ???? This is news to me !!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Armed_in_Lancity View Post
    A background check for a shottie ???? This is news to me !!!
    PICS...........
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Buying from a retail store you will need to pass a backround check, which is based on this:

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...sfer-firearms/

there will not be more than a 10(+/-) minute wait.

Its a pass/fail unless they put you in "research", I can't help you much as to why you would be put in research. Internet loore says that too many firearms in too short a time will throw this flag, among other things. I must not be buying enough guns for that then.
    Huh, me too. I guess 5 handguns, 2 assault rifles, 1 shotgun, and a semi auto submachine gun in a week aren't enough for them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    Huh, me too. I guess 5 handguns, 2 assault rifles, 1 shotgun, and a semi auto submachine gun in a week aren't enough for them.
    Cripes......I thought I was buying alot (well thats what my wife thinks anyway)

Carry on sir!
    Ayn Rand

(Schuylkill County)

buying a lot in a week just makes PICS or dealer (NOT YOU) fill out a form and send it to the ATF so they know..
    I wonder how many you really have to buy for them to notice/ show up/ call??
    I know i have purchased 3 handguns and 2 rifles in a week with transfer/ trade another 2-3 ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast