Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Jared Jewelers threatens "arrest" of anyone carrying firearms

I found a post on The High Road indicating that Jared Jewelers has a strictly anti-firearm policy. Out of curiosity, I sent an e-mail to them asking them to clarify. This is the response I received:

On 7/12/07, jaredcr@jewels.com <jaredcr@jewels.com> wrote:Your customer service representative is:Emily Myers
    Summary: Merchandise at Jared

Dear Mr. [jkp1187],

As part of corporate policy, Jared reserves the right to prohibit the carrying of firearms/weapons or dangerous ordinance of any kind, concealed or otherwise, on company property. The security personnel provided in our Jared stores, as a prerequisite of employment with Jared, have gone through extensive training and background checks. Any attempt to bring firearms/weapons or dangerous ordinance will result in arrest by the appropriate authorities and possible prosecution.

This policy was adopted to help provide a safe environment for our customers and our employees.

Sincerely,

Emily Myers
    Customer Relations

Interesting....I had no idea that Jared was going to conduct a citizens' arrest for someone legally possessing a firearm.

For the record, this is the email I sent to them earlier:

I am currently in the market for a gift for my fiancee for our upcoming wedding. However, it has recently come to my attention that Jared has a policy banning individuals from carrying firearms into their stores -- even if these weapons are carried legally in accordance with a state-issued concealed carry permit.

If this is indeed Jared's policy, then I will have to remove Jared from the list of jewelry stores that I regularly patronize. Certainly, no one carrying a firearm with malicious intent will be deterred from such a policy, but instead, ordinary law-abiding citizens who are respectful of such requests will be the only ones penalized. And, in this case, the potential penalty (-ies) for complying with such a policy -- risking grievous bodily harm and/or death -- are far too high to contemplate.

Please clarify your policy to me at your earliest possible convenience.

Very truly yours,

[JKP1187]

For what it's worth, I think Bluenile.com is a great way to go for purchases of such merchandise....and my fiancee does, too! Free shipping and 30-day return policy -- can't beat that.
    Last edited by Johannes_Paulsen; July 12th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Jared Jewelers threatens "arrest" of anyone carrying firearms

I wonder if they are using metal detectors or strip searches? How would they know if you are CC'ing?

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(York County)

I'm curios...

Is it possible that if they posted a sign prohibiting the entry of anyone possessing a weapon then you would be trespassing? What I mean is if it is clear that an armed person is not allowed in the store then if you enter it carrying a firearm are you not then trespassing? Maybe it's a stretch but I have to ask...

(Erie County)

I've seen a sign that says to the affect "members only, trespassers with be charged with defiant tresspass [cites statute]" I've only seen it twice and both place were members places and are the most detailed as compared to a simple sign. The property was also not open to the public as Jared's is. I dunno if those signs hold any weight, let alone some little no gun sign outside of Jareds.

Do Jareds actually have security guards?

Found this --

http://members.aol.com/statutesPA/18.Cp.35.html

§ 3503. Criminal trespass.

(b) Defiant trespasser.--
    1. A person commits an offense if, knowing that he is not licensed or privileged to do so, he enters or remains in any place as to which notice against trespass is given by:
      (i)actual communication to the actor;
      (ii)posting in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders;
      (iii)fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to exclude intruders;
      (iv)notices posted in a manner prescribed by law or reasonably likely to come to the person's attention at each entrance of school grounds that visitors are prohibited without authorization from a designated school, center or program official; or
      (v)an actual communication to the actor to leave school grounds as communicated by a school, center or program official, employee or agent or a law enforcement officer.
    2. Except as provided in paragraph (1)(v), an offense under this subsection constitutes a misdemeanor of the third degree if the offender defies an order to leave personally communicated to him by the owner of the premises or other authorized person. An offense under paragraph (1)(v) constitutes a misdemeanor of the first degree. Otherwise it is a summary offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I wonder if they are using metal detectors or strip searches? How would they know if you are CC'ing?
    They probably wouldn't. Still, no reason to give them any of my money if they're going to act in this manner.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    They probably wouldn't. Still, no reason to give them any of my money if they're going to act in this manner.
    Agreed, we should start a thread of anti-gun business's so we can all boycott them!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Agreed, we should start a thread of anti-gun business's so we can all boycott them!
    I think that is a good idea...

A sticky thread that shows what groups are trying to violate our rights and what businesses that support the anti-gunners.

There may already be a link or something that exists on the NRA or GOA sites.

The only thing I think that having a thread like that here is it would be more local and not national...
    Last edited by crazyyankee; July 16th, 2007 at 10:33 AM. Reason: additional comments

(York County)

the nra-ila has a fact sheet that lists some corporations (along with organizations and individuals)...

http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    I found a post on The High Road indicating that Jared Jewelers has a strictly anti-firearm policy. Out of curiosity, I sent an e-mail to them asking them to clarify. This is the response I received:

On 7/12/07, jaredcr@jewels.com <jaredcr@jewels.com> wrote:Your customer service representative is:Emily Myers
    Summary: Merchandise at Jared

Dear Mr. [jkp1187],

As part of corporate policy, Jared reserves the right to prohibit the carrying of firearms/weapons or dangerous ordinance of any kind, concealed or otherwise, on company property. The security personnel provided in our Jared stores, as a prerequisite of employment with Jared, have gone through extensive training and background checks. Any attempt to bring firearms/weapons or dangerous ordinance will result in arrest by the appropriate authorities and possible prosecution.

This policy was adopted to help provide a safe environment for our customers and our employees.

Sincerely,

Emily Myers
    Customer Relations

Interesting....I had no idea that Jared was going to conduct a citizens' arrest for someone legally possessing a firearm.
    "by the appropriate authorities" is the key phrase there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast