Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bird hunting?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wagontown, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Bird hunting?

    I'm new to PA and am wondering if there are any other forum members who are also discouraged from getting out because we are unfortunate not to have any old standing family hookups to good fields?

    Anyone else feel this way? I'm interested in hunting Dove, pheasant, grouse, whatever... Just need to meet some like minded people and figure that is what this forum should do best.

    Lee

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    37
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    332

    Cool Re: Bird hunting?

    Quote Originally Posted by lelandEOD View Post
    I'm new to PA and am wondering if there are any other forum members who are also discouraged from getting out because we are unfortunate not to have any old standing family hookups to good fields?

    Anyone else feel this way? I'm interested in hunting Dove, pheasant, grouse, whatever... Just need to meet some like minded people and figure that is what this forum should do best.

    Lee
    I take my puppy with me every year (puppy, she'll be my puppy when she's on senior food! She's 3). Every year we get more discouraged. Hillman/SGL117 (Out by Burgettstown) has been better than most.

    I've seen one pheasant out there, saw it two years ago (where I was planning to park actually, boy was I mad). Grouse is decent. Chased one all over a ridge on Saturday, but it was wet and he wasn't wanting to really say hi. I'll be back out on Fri and Saturday.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,110
    Rep Power
    290336

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    if you make it out this way sometime, i have a little hidden spot that i'll flush 20-30 grouse a day at. need a good dog though, my pup doesn't hunt to well so i end up being the dog.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    37
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    332

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    if you make it out this way sometime, i have a little hidden spot that i'll flush 20-30 grouse a day at. need a good dog though, my pup doesn't hunt to well so i end up being the dog.
    My dog is still learning. The problem is there aren't enough birds to learn in real life on. If this year doesn't go well, I'm going to take her to a farm with planted birds so we can work on refining. Right now, I don't handle much, but I don't particularly need to either.

    If they are there, she puts them up. If they come down, she will find them. She's just not like, "pro" or "trial mode". Very instinctual.

    I am a bit partial of course. :-)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Coraopolis, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    3,110
    Rep Power
    290336

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    i'm hopeing to put a buck on the ground soon so i can get into the woods for grouse and turkey
    Μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Age
    54
    Posts
    894
    Rep Power
    1093700

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    Quote Originally Posted by krystalzip View Post
    My dog is still learning. The problem is there aren't enough birds to learn in real life on. If this year doesn't go well, I'm going to take her to a farm with planted birds so we can work on refining. Right now, I don't handle much, but I don't particularly need to either.

    If they are there, she puts them up. If they come down, she will find them. She's just not like, "pro" or "trial mode". Very instinctual.

    I am a bit partial of course. :-)

    Come on down to SGL 232 just outside of Taylorstown, lots of birds and even holdovers. I would be glad to give you directions to the best fields. You can call the Southwest Regional Office at 724-238-9523 and tell them you need to speak with WCO Rich Joyce, they will take your info and number and I will return your call.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

    John F Kennedy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wagontown, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    Come on down to SGL 232 just outside of Taylorstown, lots of birds and even holdovers. I would be glad to give you directions to the best fields. You can call the Southwest Regional Office at 724-238-9523 and tell them you need to speak with WCO Rich Joyce, they will take your info and number and I will return your call.
    You, sir, are awsome.

    I don't think you could get much father away from me and still be in PA, but I may just drive out and stay for a couple days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    44
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    38151

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    if you make it out this way sometime, i have a little hidden spot that i'll flush 20-30 grouse a day at. need a good dog though, my pup doesn't hunt to well so i end up being the dog.
    I just started a couple years ago. Still havent' found the hunting equevalent of a honey hole yet. I did get a pheasant 2 years ago, a bunny last year, and a dove last year.

    I like moraine, lots of land makes me feel like maybe all the birds haven't been scared off.

    My dog is learning too. He got started late. He gets birdy, but sometimes gets a little gunshy too. I've been working with him and i'm hopeful this year.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    51
    Posts
    7,545
    Rep Power
    21474856

    Default Re: Bird hunting?

    Grouse have been on an up cycle the last few years. I flush them routinely while deer hunting.

Similar Threads

  1. Bird Hunting and Man's best friend or Not!
    By customloaded in forum Hunting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 24th, 2009, 12:54 PM
  2. One Tough Bird
    By Coops in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
  3. Hunting deer with bird
    By Kimba in forum Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops