Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default How to choose a range?

What I'm trying to do is come up with things a newbie should think about when deciding on which range to join, and where they can look for additional information. I'm not necessarily after recommendations for myself (although I may ask that elsewhere once I have a better idea of how to judge those). Hope that makes sense!

-----------------------

I'm a newbie. What advice would you give to someone like me on choosing a range to go to or join? What factors should I take into account?

I'm lucky in that at my location there are a number of ranges available - some of these have good reputations (e.g. PMSC), but theres also Mckeesport SC, Elizabeth SC, Anthony Arms' inhouse range, etc.

Thoughts and questions:

1. location - obviously important
    2. cost - there may be a low annual cost but high "joining fee". also some clubs require minimum participation
    3. membership criteria - most clubs have some sort of membership criteria where you have to be voted in. Some have additional criteria about your level of membership
    4. suitability for your firearms - no point joining a range which only has indoor pistol ranges if you want to shoot rifle or shotgun
    5. what kind of shooting do you want to do - this is related to the previous item
    6. access - this may be an issue if you have a physical disability
    7. classes
    8. comradery - some people want to just go and shoot, some people want a more social aspect (e.g. bbq's, shoot events etc)
    9. community - does the range involve itself in the community, e.g. fundraisers for other causes, community days, etc
    10. independent recommendations - recommendations preferably from people you trust who have no "agenda" with promoting or otherwise a particular range

Having got a list, how do you then go about finding these things out? Most ranges have poor or no website. Some make it hard to find out how to join.

Is it possible to go to a range to "try it out"? Do all ranges allow this? Do you need to go with a member? Or are you committed to joining?

---
    Rob
    Last edited by R.Thompson; October 19th, 2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added preamble

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How to choose a range?

Rob,
    The best advice I would give would be in the form of questions to you that only you can answer, such as:

What do you want to do / shoot ?, Rifle, Handgun, Shotgun ?.

Then:

What is your shooting interest, Target Shooting, Plinking, Defensive Shooting, Long Range Rifle Shooting, or just makeing noise with a gun ?.

I don't think your going to find a club / range that does it all, especially Long Range Rifle Shooting sports as a lot of clubs / ranges don't have the land for it, or at least that's the way it is in my part of the country.

Once we know just what your interest is then I think someone could point you in the right direction.
    SS

(Allegheny County)

I'm not actually after recommendations for myself i.e. I don't want someone to say "go here" - but I'm trying to create a useful guide for how to make the decision on which range to go to, and where you can find useful information.

What you said about the type of shooting is partly covered by item 4, but probably worth adding as a seperate item.

Actually, recommendations is a useful part of that, so I'll add that in.

Rob

(Monroe County)

Sorry Rob,
    I thought for sure that "you" were asking where "you" could go when you asked,

"I'm a "newbie". What advice would you give to someone like "me" on choosing a range to go to or join ?"

If your trying to create a list or a guide that's fine, but it's a BIG state so you may want to do it in somewhat of an organized manner.

There are probably over a hundred clubs in PA and even more ranges. I wish you luck in finding them and listing what there primary activity is.
    SS

(Allegheny County)

I worded it that way because I am a newbie But I understand how it could be misunderstood.

What I'm trying to come up with is a guide on the kinds of questions a newbie should ask themselves (and others) when choosing a range, and places where some of that information might be available. Some things may not be obvious to those of us that lack experience of ranges. For instance the point made on what kind of shooting you want to do - not everywhere does practical shooting or offers advanced classes (e.g. tactics) for instance.

As for producing a list of all the ranges in PA... hmm interesting idea I wonder how long it would take to visit each and every one?

(Monroe County)

It would be a very interesting list indeed, and probably very helpful to a lot of shooters. I myself have shot on over 25 ranges / clubs over the past 35 / 40 years, all over PA, NY, and NJ. I was very active when I was younger and didn't mind traveling to the shoots. Now a days age has caught up with me and I don't travel much, not even sure if the clubs and ranges that I've shot at are still in operation. I still do a lot of shootin but most of it is in my back yard, about twice a year some of the younger guys I shot with over the years get me to go to a shooting event.
    SS