Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: Welcome Erie County Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by Aerin328 View Post
    I have a 13 month old baby at home and work crazy hours (so time is hard to come by), but I'd definitely be up for it. As long as you don't mind potentially stupid questions , I'd be very appreciative to be shown a thing or two. Again I am admittedly a firearm "noob." Like for instance, what is the "SGL"?
    SGL.......State Game Lands........route 97 Sampson Station/Sampson Road, right at the RR tracks.

Its a public firing range with two handgun bays and 4 or 5 rifle bays.
    NO SHOTGUNS.

Not the best place on the planet for shooting, but hey, in a pinch it works.

When I do go to the SGL, I observe the folks first before taking anything out of the car. If the people are shooting safely and minding the range rules, I'll shoot; otherwise, if the people are being jackasses with guns, I'm outta there!

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    NO SHOTGUNS.
    Someone penciled in on the sign that slugs are allowed. I don't know if it was some random person, or the people who run it or what.

It might be worth trying to call and ask someone about it. lol

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    SGL.......State Game Lands........route 97 Sampson
    When I do go to the SGL, I observe the folks first before taking anything out of the car. If the people are shooting safely and minding the range rules, I'll shoot; otherwise, if the people are being jackasses with guns, I'm outta there!
    Sounds wise.

I can probably swing a Sunday afternoon sometime. Perhaps two weeks from today (7/25) might be possible. I will check w/ the other half.

S'ok if no shotguns allowed, it's the only gun I have experience with and I'd be happy to just gain exposure to handguns and/or rifles.

So I guess that brings up an interesting question... what local ranges do allow shotguns then? Last time I just went out with my father-in-law (ex-military) to a remote dump in the woods in Washington Township (near Edinboro) with a huge dirt mound to use as a backstop.

(Erie County)

Out here we just go out back and start throwing clays.........
    "We The People..."

(Erie County)

If anyone else is up for it, join GemCity. http://www.gemcitygunclub.org/
    I just did, and spent most of Sunday there shooting. They had matches in the morning, which I "observed", and talked to shooters as well as the President (the important one, NOT big-O) and the Secretary and treasurer.
    There was constable training going on, but there were open ranges also.
    Rifle, shotgun, and handgun, as well as indoor pistol ranges.
    Tonight there was trap shooting, but I didn't go.
    $50 first year, $35 thereafter. It's less than a mile from my house, and they have plenty of shoots.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Erie County)

Thanks Truckman. Looks like an extensive range. Bit far from where I live and I'll check it out if I can.

Looks like the Walnut Creek Rifle Club also has a shotgun range, and it's much closer to my home. I noticed the original poster "Doug" belonged to WCRC... does anyone else have experience there?

Michele/ Blank, let me know if a little Erie PAFOA get together (wherever) seems feasible and we'll see what we can do. Again I will appreciate any hands-on guidance the more experienced among us can give.

Like I said, I'm down for whatevers! Sundays work best for me. I can bring my ar and pistols, though I gotta get some ammo for my rifle. I'll gladly answer any questions as best I can.

Anytime, anywhere for me.

For SGL, I'll bring my AR and my handguns. I'll also bring the shotty, modified it myself.....well.....just to show it off.

As far as any of the other clubs go, I'll give them a go too. I'm a bit far from Erie's civilization (UC) but I'm willing to travel. After living up here for 3 years, Its about damn time I became a club member, even if its a bit of a distance.

(Erie County)

Keep me posted also. Usually up for a get-together, depending on prior commitments.
    SGL or wherever.
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

The shotgun range at Walnut Creek Rifle Club is a chicken wire backer set at 25 yards. It is really only good for patterning your shotgun. It is NOT intended for testing 00 buck loads on the 2X4s or water jugs etc....Not saying that this was your intent, but a LOT of damage to the club is a result of the "shotgun range".
    Jules

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast