Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Backyard deer hunting

Knowing full well that the minimum distance you can shoot a deer from your porch with a bow is 50 yds and 150 for shotgun hunting, how many of you see deer withing a stones throw of your house and have pics? ( I'm a pic kind of guy). I'm not sure if the rules change for landowners that allow closer shots.

I live in a residential area 15 miles south of Pittsburgh
    and saw this yesterday.

Must have had the flash on.

post yours.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Backyard deer hunting

If you live in an area were you are the only house within 150 yardsof the deer and your house.... you could shoot from your porch...all you have to do is give yourself permission to hunt on your own property!

But, seeing your in an Residental Area.. if your Bow hunting and those other houses are Further then 50 yards from Your House and deer ...you would be legal aswell!

and whats with the Shotgun Referance? Didn't you mean Firearms?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodywoodduck View Post
    If you live in an area were you are the only house within 150 yardsof the deer and your house.... you could shoot from your porch...all you have to do is give yourself permission to hunt on your own property!

But, seeing your in an Residental Area.. if your Bow hunting and those other houses and deer are Further then 50 yards from Your House...you would be legal aswell!

and whats with the Shotgun Referance? Didn't you mean Firearms?
    Special regs area 2B reference.. I'm in Allegheny county. Shotgun only for longarms.

27hand

(Dauphin County)

OK...But you do understand that you could hunt them from your own property if the other houses were further then 50 yards with a bow from your house and the deer and also with the Shotgun aslong as the other houses were further then 150 yards from your house and the deer!

If it is because you been told that you can not discharge a firearm or shoot a bow in the pittsburgh area...

Just Refer to Duff VS Northampton...

It is posted on HuntingPA Forum....

As long as you abide by the safe zone laws, FO Laws and Season laws, a city can not stop you from shooting

You can still bow hunt closer than 50yds, with the owner/tenants permission.

(Monroe County)

I would wait till very late in the late season and only if I was in need of the meat but yes that would be a legal kill as long as you could track it without trespassing and no neighbors are within 50 yards.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodywoodduck View Post
    OK...But you do understand that you could hunt them from your own property if the other houses were further then 50 yards with a bow from your house and the deer and also with the Shotgun aslong as the other houses were further then 150 yards from your house and the deer!

If it is because you been told that you can not discharge a firearm or shoot a bow in the pittsburgh area...

Just Refer to Duff VS Northampton...

It is posted on HuntingPA Forum....

As long as you abide by the safe zone laws, FO Laws and Season laws, a city can not stop you from shooting
    yes sir, I understand that local ordinances do not supercede Pa Game law. and regardless of their local ordinances, a SG can be used IF I get the owners permission.

The Upper St Clair policeman who hunted about 150 feet from my stand has never questioned me.

I could possibly make the 150 yd(longarm) but it is so close, I wouldn't want to take the chance so I have archery hunted only in my backyard (50+ yds from my neighbors houses with no permission granted to hunt closer).

I have probably taken 8 or 9 deer till the property was sold and posted 2 years ago.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Knowing full well that the minimum distance you can shoot a deer from your porch with a bow is 50 yds and 150 for shotgun hunting,
    That applies to other peoples structures.

It does not apply to your buildings or buildings you have permission from the owner.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Backyard deer hunting

Let me try a new twist on the same question: Let us say that you are a member of a Church, and there are deer on the property. If you obtain permission form the Appointed Leaders (Pastor and Deacon board) of the Church are you ok to hunt? Now place that Church property inside the township of ,oh let's say Horsham township, and they have a "No Hunting" ordinance. How about now? Not that I am thinking of shooting a deer that I may have seen this evening after church service, and said deer had a HUGE rack. Not saying that at all.

(Monroe County)

a no hunting ordance? how the hell?

I would contact the PGC about that... they may have a no firing guns... but no hunting? use a bow :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast