Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Backyard deer hunting

Provided you can safely shoot from your house and not jeopardize others, you can disregard the 50/150 yard safety zone issue IF YOU HAVE WRITTEN PERMISSION from all of those within the safety zone.

Now with that said, I wouldn't claim to be "hunting" when I shot the deer. Yes, you would be required to tag, etc. according to game law. I still wouldn't brag about it.

We get deer in our yard (sorry, no pics) that I could kill w/ a well thrown hammer.

I do have a stand in my back yard (mostly to take the kids "hunting"). I have it set up in the wooded portion of the yard facing the woods. The rule is, if the deer is in the grassy portion of the yard, it's off limits. If the deer is in the wooded portion, it's "wild" and fair game.

Yes, I realize that it's semantics. But, by the end of muzzleloader season, all the damn deer are hiding in the subdivisions. At least this way I can pretend that it's a "wild animal" and not a "Dorito bandito".
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

Haven't seen this guy for a while, thank God. He used to wake me up at sunrise on the weekend. I see deer every couple days too.

I'm in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, it's residential, but heavily wooded. I thought about hunting in the back yard, but I know my next door neighbor would not appreciate it. I could easily get a 50yd safety zone for archery, but I just haven't gotten into the whole archery thing. I'd rather goto deer camp with the guys, and not get/see anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Knowing full well that the minimum distance you can shoot a deer from your porch with a bow is 50 yds and 150 for shotgun hunting, how many of you see deer withing a stones throw of your house and have pics? ( I'm a pic kind of guy). I'm not sure if the rules change for landowners that allow closer shots.

I live in a residential area 15 miles south of Pittsburgh
    and saw this yesterday.

Must have had the flash on.

post yours.

27hand
    Have you thought about Claymores? Just a thought... I don't have the regs memorized but pretty sure the PGC doesn't specifically prohibit them.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    a no hunting ordance? how the hell?

I would contact the PGC about that... they may have a no firing guns... but no hunting? use a bow :P
    I MAY be wrong on that, but I definitely recall seeing that posted on a sign adjacent to Willow Grove JRB. Just outside the base, near the woods.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Have you thought about Claymores? Just a thought... I don't have the regs memorized but pretty sure the PGC doesn't specifically prohibit them.
    pretty sure as long as it isn't a semi auto claymore, a rimfire claymore, or any claymore with a capacity to hold more then 5 round you are good...

just remember which side goes towards the deer :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

pretty sure as long as it isn't a semi auto claymore, a rimfire claymore, or any claymore with a capacity to hold more then 5 round you are good...

Evil black semi auto assault claymores, imagine the frenzy [/idiocy]

(Delaware County)

This guy and some does visit my yard almost every night and day. We do see another buck just a little bigger than this one,just have not gotten a picture of him yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The deer that roam my yard and eat everything within sight just found out what full auto smacks on the butt from an 300FPS mp5 airsoft feels like.
    Now they dine at the neighbors.

(Wayne County)

For big game, the ball bearings must be .40 or larger. For small game they must be .40 or less.

Anything using fleschettes must have a 1" cutting surface.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    For big game, the ball bearings must be .40 or larger. For small game they must be .40 or less.

Anything using fleschettes must have a 1" cutting surface.
    and the cutting surfaces must be on the same plane... unless then aren't in which case they are still legal
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast