Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Potter County

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Potter County

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    Tell us all about the Card Creek Monster... Please?
    I found this: Oddities, Legends and Ghosts of Potter County

The Tale of the Card Creek Monster

In the hills of Potter County, many years ago, the people lived a fruitful, prosperous living. The land provided wood, railroad, wildlife and now they suspected oil! Things were great! The town of Keating Summit was overflowing with prosperity. People were relocating to the area in order to find a better way of life.

They picked an area where oil was suspected. They began the construction of the workers shacks, so they could stay there and work during the weekdays and travel back home to spend the weekends with their families. Most of the workers were poor single men with no families. They lived life on the wild side, late nights out tossing back the gin and occasionally traveling to Austin to spend some of their hard earned money on a few hours of pleasure.

Many nights the men would hear noises and would blame it on the gin. After being out on the town for several hours all but two of the men decided to go back to their shanties and get a reasonable nights sleep before the next busy day. The boss was a little angered at them when they were late rising in the morning, The men could not afford to lose their jobs, especially one that paid as well as this one did. The other men stayed out until the bar closed it's doors. The night was damp and cool. The moon was full, giving a eerie glow to everything.

When they got back their shanties were dark and more quiet than usual. The other workers and the boss was nowhere around. They saw a strange glowing light deep in the woods and could hear a "thump, thump, thump," like a heart beat echoing through the hills. The Noise would stop only briefly for a long forceful gasping wail. The two men were terrified. At first they though their fellow workers were playing a trick on them for staying out so late. When they got closer to one of the shanties, they could see that one of the walls were completely ripped from the remaining structure, The other men's things were still there, undisturbed; yet there was no sign of human life. The other shack was in worse condition, it was barely standing. The oil derrick had been literally picked up and tossed to the ground. The men stood there for a moment In amazement, then ran for their lives and never returned to Card Creek again. None knows what happened to those men that night. The men were never seen or heard from again. You'll not find any evidence that it happened at all, unless you go to Card Creek. But If you go.... stay a good distance from the swamp, it is said that the spirits still sleep there. So go, but go quietly and don't forget The Card Creek Monster makes the rules in Card Creek.

(yes, Google is my friend ...)

I can honestly say that I've never seen CC monster while hunting the CC area.......or did I......
    FUCK BIDEN

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Highlander View Post
    I found this:
    The Tale of the Card Creek Monster

In the hills of Potter County, many years ago, the people lived a fruitful, prosperous living...
    That is it in a nutshell. I have been there and let me tell you I would not be staying the night. I have seen the destroyed shacks and the swamp. Odd place, the woods are strangely silent, not a bird, not a squirrel. The trees are old and tall, keeping the forest floor dark. Tall rocks in strange formations and if you look at them close enough you can see strange patterns inside and under the moss. Beyond them and the swamp is a wall of thorns, that is as far as I have ever gone.

As it got darker and it got harder to see that is when we started to hear noises. Just outside of earshot and far enough into the darkness that you can't see it. It would start with a high whine and then move to almost a deep cackle. Then it is gone, it returns eventually but always from a new angle, usually from behind you. We didn't stick around to let it get closer.

Finding the right place is hard, but you know it when you find it. Another story I was told was about two teenagers who went up there to... well you know. When the guy got out to take a leak he never came back. He took the keys with him leaving his girlfriend alone in the car all night and into the next day until someone came upon her.

The man never was seen again. The woman said that she heard all sorts of strange sounds and once or twice something large bumped into the car. You know how it is on a dark night in Potter County, can't see the nose on your face. As far as I know no one has ever seen the Card Creek monster, at least no one that has lived to tell the tale.

All I know is that if you find the place, stay away from it when night falls.
    Last edited by AKross; July 6th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Question Re: Potter County

Hi!

I am looking for the Glovers who are associated with the Glover Farm you spoke of in your post. My father was in a single engine aircraft accident in September 1965 and the plane came down on their farm. The pilot and my dad both survived (miraculously) and I am looking for the story of what happened that day. If you could point me to any of the Glover Family it would be appreciated! I can be reached at freelancekara@hotmail.com. Please put something like "plane accident" or "Glover Farm" in the subject so I don't think it's spam.

Thank you!

Kara

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    Hi!

I am looking for the Glovers who are associated with the Glover Farm you spoke of in your post. My father was in a single engine aircraft accident in September 1965 and the plane came down on their farm. The pilot and my dad both survived (miraculously) and I am looking for the story of what happened that day. If you could point me to any of the Glover Family it would be appreciated! I can be reached at freelancekara@hotmail.com. Please put something like "plane accident" or "Glover Farm" in the subject so I don't think it's spam.

Thank you!

Kara
    Wow necro thread. I wish you luck, but this thread was started a decade ago, with the post prior to yours over half a score ago.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Wow necro thread. I wish you luck, but this thread was started a decade ago, with the post prior to yours over half a score ago.
    Medic, the system worked. I got an email when she posted and was able to offer some info to her. It's kinda cool that a decade had passed. It makes you think about what you post. eh?

(Chester County)

It's cool seeing an old thread come back to life.

Here are some pics from my last Potter trip.

I knew the thread was old, but sometimes you just have to go for it!

Now I have some neat pics and neat stories! Thank you!

(Lackawanna County)

Potter county is where the elk are right? I've wanted to do see them so many times.

(Forest County)

I believe this story/legend originated from Potter County, Texas.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast