Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Handgun training courses

Are there any handgun training courses held in or very close to Harrisburg?
    I'd like to take like a basic handgun course, mainly for instruction on stance, grip, etc. I've been shooting guns for a long time but never had formal training. I'm fairly decent, but I'm sure I could be much better with proper training or someone to show me what I might be doing wrong.

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Handgun training courses

I took the General Defensive Handgun course from Insights at Lewisberry. I highly recommend it.

(Perry County)

I don't see any PA dates listed or am I looking in the wrong spot? It shows all Washington dates through 2010.

I guess it would be good to do all of the stuff in that class, but I don't know that I want to do all of that at this point, especially for $350. that is expensive.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; October 17th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    I don't see any PA dates listed or am I looking in the wrong spot? It shows all Washington dates through 2010.

I guess it would be good to do all of the stuff in that class, but I don't know that I want to do all of that at this point, especially for $350. that is expensive.
    They teach at WSSA all the time. $350 is average/low for weekend class rates. Figure in the cost of ammo, too...

I think Insights has one of the best values in their training, too.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    They teach at WSSA all the time. $350 is average/low for weekend class rates. Figure in the cost of ammo, too...

I think Insights has one of the best values in their training, too.
    Can you point me to a site that shows their upcoming training courses for PA because I can't find it on their site.

Another question: Is this fast paced training? For instance, if I were to have trouble with a concept or something, will they take the time to help you out with it or is it one of those things where if you don't get it right away, too bad, we have to keep the class going?
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; October 17th, 2009 at 11:03 AM.

(Northampton County)

Another question: Is this fast paced training? For instance, if I were to have trouble with a concept or something, will they take the time to help you out with it or is it one of those things where if you don't get it right away, too bad, we have to keep the class going?
    Both. They will certainly help you, and the instructor/coach to student ratio is high. They watch everyone and coach people as the shooting goes. If anybody has a a more difficult problem, one of the coaches will work with you. They helped me immensely. But on the other hand, unless you are better than me (which is not a stretch), you will not perfect everything they teach during the class. You will, however, learn everything. You will have to practice when you get home.

The livefire drills are not 100% clear in the coursebook. During the course, have them review what's in the book with what you've done so you can mark up the live fire drills in the coursebook. Or, contact them after the course if there is confusion. Or contact me.

(Chester County)

The instructor to student ratio is typically very good. My buddy coaches for them, they typically have a number of coaches there to help out if a student is struggling with a concept. The last carbine class he did with them, they had so many coaches and instructors there...he pretty much just shot like a student...everything was under control.

http://www.insightstraining.com/Imag...tSched2009.PDF

It looks like Sept was their last one in 2009. I don't see their 2010 schedule yet. I'll try to remember to post it once it goes up...my buddy usually emails it to me as it get finalized.

You can try calling them up...they might know when the next few are, they might not have finished scheduling the whole season, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about being "left behind". 3 of my friends just went though Intensive Handgun a couple weeks ago...all at different skill levels. All of them raved about how much each of them learned.

(Bucks County)

Click on East Coast schedule:

http://www.insightstraining.com/eastCoast.asp

That's actually a very reasonable price for a full weekend course. The "training is too expensive" mental block is something everyone has to overcome for himself. The value-add for your own self defense of a course is infinitely more than just using that money to buy another gun.

However, if for now you just want some low key one-day thing, check out the range that hosts the Insights group; maybe that range brings in more modest courses:

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

(Bucks County)

Can you point me to a site that shows their upcoming training courses for PA because I can't find it on their site.

In my opinion, prior to taking the course you should have safe gun handling and range skills, this is may not be a good course for someone that just purchased their first firearm. That said, they teach you in a step-by-step method that builds upon each skill. For example, learning proper grip and trigger pull/reset mechanics, with one shot, then two shots. They'll build on this all the way through proper draw, scanning, holstering, verbal commands, tactical and speed reloads while moving.

We had a small but diverse group and everyone was able to keep up. We were also lucky to have only 6 students with 2 instructors and one 'helper' so we received a great deal of personal interaction.

In all honesty, my buddy and I felt we got our money's worth by the end of day 1! I'll take more classes from them in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast