Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

It's company property. I'm guessing it's prohibitive, but since you can go to someplace like IKEA or Target for examples and they have no weapons policies but can't really keep you from having one in the vehicle I was thinking I could get away with it. It's an auto repair chain so the lot although private property is open to the public and there are no visible signs on the property. I can't see why they would be searching my car anyway but just for the hell of it I'd like to know what the law was here. I know that in some states it's considered your home, but here you need a permit to carry in a car I think at least you do in Philly.
    I may just park next door. Quitting isn't an option at the moment. I just picked up and moved my entire life to take care of my mom since my father passed in June, and I got this job because of it being significantly closer by about 2 hours of commute time per day, on a good day. I suspect that a different company would be the same boat anyway. I'm a master auto technician but I'm almost 50 and my back hurts etc so I thought it might be an opportunity to get into a large company so I could move laterally into management when my body gives me the finger.
    Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

I have difficulty seeing how they can arbitrarily search your private vehicle without some legal cause. If the firearm is locked in a secure vault (and it should be) out of sight, hiw xan they enter your vehicle without your consent, or other legal predisposition? IANAL, and maybe my supposition proves that. Would like to hear what actual law says on this. I believe there was a case pending on this very question, but never heard the outcome. Can an employee's car be searched at the employers behest without a legal reason. Pretty sure the cops wouldn't /couldn't unless they had a legal reason to, other than the employers request.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    I have difficulty seeing how they can arbitrarily search your private vehicle without some legal cause. If the firearm is locked in a secure vault (and it should be) out of sight, hiw xan they enter your vehicle without your consent, or other legal predisposition? IANAL, and maybe my supposition proves that. Would like to hear what actual law says on this. I believe there was a case pending on this very question, but never heard the outcome. Can an employee's car be searched at the employers behest without a legal reason. Pretty sure the cops wouldn't /couldn't unless they had a legal reason to, other than the employers request.
    Employers aren't the police and don't need legal reason, then need only assert property powers and conditions of employment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Yes, as a condition of employment. Just a fancy way for saying I don't need to work there anymore. If Ive given them cause and they feel they need to try this step, it's past time for me to go anyhow. Making it stick is a rougher road than actually saying it. I've seen the results from many similar actions tried by the company. They aren't in any rush to start searching vehicles, trust me.

(Montgomery County)

If they decide to search my car I'll quit anyway. Regardless I forgot all about this and carried all day as usual LOL. Meanwhile I found an empty casing from a 45ACP sitting on the top of the alignment rack controls today. Makes you wonder.
    I appreciate picking your collective brains, thank you. Mosseater pretty much nailed it for me.

(York County)

"Mosseater pretty much nailed it for me."
    That's a first! Lol.

Part of the rules and regulations I signed off on when I was hired forced me to submit to vehicle searches as the employer sees fit basically. Been here 10 years and no one has ever had it done. But the point is I had to sign off on it when I was hired.

(Northampton County)

Is there a particular place where a "GUNS PROHIBITED" sign must be placed. Doors? I have yet to see one, but I've only lived in PA about 7 weeks.

Any well-known stores/chains that don't allow guns?

thanks

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Is there a particular place where a "GUNS PROHIBITED" sign must be placed. Doors? I have yet to see one, but I've only lived in PA about 7 weeks.

Any well-known stores/chains that don't allow guns?

thanks
    There are no legal specifications required in regards to size, specific wording, location, etc.

Buffalo Wild Wings is one chain that immediately comes to mind.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Keep your eyes out on this forum and other places where the phrase "signs have force of law" comes up. In PA, firearm and/or criminal statutes do not refer to signage outside of already prohibited places (i.e. courthouses, post offices, etc.). You can be trespassed for failure to leave, but mere existence in one of these places does not violate firearm statutes.

In TX, however, the required 30.06 (No CC) and 30.07 (No OC) signs actually refer to the section of the statutes that define the signage requirements for places that with to ban you. IOW, they don't place the sign, you can't be charged with a weapons violation, but if they do, you can.

Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast