Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Thank you for the response, Knight. The particular point of confusion I had was mostly cleared up in the revised Gun Rights pamphlet, specifically -

Transporting within PA: Long guns MUST be unloaded
    (clear chamber and no magazine in weapon) and for magazine
    fed weapons any loaded magazines must be in a separate
    container
    in order to be transported in vehicles within PA.
    Handguns may be loaded while in a vehicle only if the person
    in possession holds a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from
    any other state.

The confusion was over 'magazine fed weapons.' The original pamphlet was a bit confusing as to whether it referred to all magazines or only to long gun magazines. I am assuming that 'weapons' are long guns as opposed to 'firearms' (hand guns) in which case I'm good to put the mags in the case with the AR pistol. In any case thanks again for the response and for putting together the pamphlet.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Univ of Saigon 68 View Post
    Thank you for the response, Knight. The particular point of confusion I had was mostly cleared up in the revised Gun Rights pamphlet, specifically -

Transporting within PA: Long guns MUST be unloaded
    (clear chamber and no magazine in weapon) and for magazine
    fed weapons any loaded magazines must be in a separate
    container
    in order to be transported in vehicles within PA.
    Handguns may be loaded while in a vehicle only if the person
    in possession holds a valid PA LTCF or a carry license from
    any other state.

The confusion was over 'magazine fed weapons.' The original pamphlet was a bit confusing as to whether it referred to all magazines or only to long gun magazines. I am assuming that 'weapons' are long guns as opposed to 'firearms' (hand guns) in which case I'm good to put the mags in the case with the AR pistol. In any case thanks again for the response and for putting together the pamphlet.

Here is the present legal definition of "Loaded". This definition was altered a little since the original writing of the pamphlet that was distributed by PAFOA's members.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Here is the present legal definition of "Loaded". This definition was altered a little since the original writing of the pamphlet that was distributed by PAFOA's members.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102
    § 6102. Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    so it does not have to be racked in order to be considered loaded?
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    Thats what I read.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog46 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Thats what I read.
    A firearm is considered loaded if there is ammunition in the chamber(s), or in a magazine. With firearms that use DETACHABLE magazines, if any loaded magazines are present in the vehicle - they must be in a separate enclosure.

HOWEVER, if the gun is a "firearm" (handgun, SBS, SBR, or anything under 26" OAL) and you have your LTCF - you can have your "firearm" loaded.

So, what this means is - if the gun is a rifle or shotgun, or if you are transporting a "firearm" without a LTCF to certain exempted locations - the gun has to be unloaded(nothing IN the gun, no loaded non-detachable mags, and any loaded detachable mags must be in separate container).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Maybe I missed it, but does the separate container have to be separate from the container the gun is kept in? IE, case or holster with a separate place to secure the magazine separately from the gun? Sounds like they're saying if the gun carrier has a separate compartment which fully encases the ammo contained in the magazine, then the compartment is legal even if is physically part of the entire case or holster.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by mosseater View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but does the separate container have to be separate from the container the gun is kept in? IE, case or holster with a separate place to secure the magazine separately from the gun? Sounds like they're saying if the gun carrier has a separate compartment which fully encases the ammo contained in the magazine, then the compartment is legal even if is physically part of the entire case or holster.
    As long it is a separate enclosure it is a separate container. As with the soft bags used to carry an AR-15 that have pockets on the outside of the bag to carry the mags either loaded or unloaded. your good to go.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Montgomery County)

I'm sure this has been answered 100 times but I can't make heads or tails of the search function. I just got a new job where they don't want you to carry (I have permit) but also say they restrict you keeping it in your car UNLESS their "right to restrict such storage is specifically prohibited by law".
    Is this the case in Pennsylvania? Specifically Philly I know it shouldn't make a damn difference but just wanted to be clear. Also looking for options for a vehicle safe since it seems I'll not be pocket carrying my LCP now unless I feel like being fired. No mace either if you can believe it. Seems I have already committed two fireable offenses on my first day. Oops..
    Thanks

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene View Post
    I'm sure this has been answered 100 times but I can't make heads or tails of the search function. I just got a new job where they don't want you to carry (I have permit) but also say they restrict you keeping it in your car UNLESS their "right to restrict such storage is specifically prohibited by law".
    Is this the case in Pennsylvania? Specifically Philly I know it shouldn't make a damn difference but just wanted to be clear. Also looking for options for a vehicle safe since it seems I'll not be pocket carrying my LCP now unless I feel like being fired. No mace either if you can believe it. Seems I have already committed two fireable offenses on my first day. Oops..
    Thanks
    Are you parking on company property, or in a public lot/parking garage?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by dgreene View Post
    Thanks
    I’d quit.
    Bazinga

Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3070767778798081828384 ... LastLast