Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non resident license question

Hi everyone!
    New member here, born in PA but grew up and live in Ohio. I know this topic has been covered and I've read numerous threads on the subject but was hoping to get some clarification.
    I'm an Ohio resident but I carry on a non resident license from another state, this is completely legal in Ohio. I do it as a political statement since I do not agree with a good portion of our CCW laws, I actually testified in favor of permitless carry before it was passed. I don't go to PA too often these days so it's never been an issue.
    In addition to numerous threads I've read the actual law as well and from what I understand my non resident license allows me to transport and have a loaded firearm in my vehicle, I just can't carry outside of my vehicle. Am I correct on this?
    I almost want to give in and get my Ohio CCW just so I'm good when I need to go to PA. Unfortunately I won't be able to do that by tomorrow.
    I have a funeral to attend tomorrow morning so I wanted to see what the consensus was. If I was going by myself I'd leave everything at home just to play it safe but if it is indeed legal for me to have a firearm in my vehicle I would prefer to bring it since my family is coming with me.
    Also, has anyone had any issues keeping a firearm in their vehicle with a non resident license? I know alot of people from New Jersey and New York went this route once non resident licenses were removed from reciprocity.
    I'm thinking if it is legal I should probably have a copy of the law on hand just to cover myself further.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Non resident license question

You are correct that any license covers you in a vehicle (per §(6106(b)(11)). The non-resident license does not permit you to conceal on your person outside of the vehicle, but PA is an unlicensed open carry state* (I understand it's unlikely you would do this while attending a funeral).

If you'd like to print out the statute containing the exception noted above, you can find it here: https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L...1.006.000..HTM

*Unlicensed open carry is not permitted in Philadelphia, or state-wide during a declared state of emergency, which we are not currently experiencing.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Non resident license question

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure I was correct before I went ahead and did it. I'm just happy I can have it in my car, and while I prefer to keep everything concealed I probably would open carry if I was doing something else.
    If I was going by myself I'd probably leave it at home anyway but bringing my family I'd much rather have it with me.
    I had to go to work so I probably won't have time to print it out now but I'll have it ready and accessible on my phone.
    I think it's about time I give in and get my Ohio license, I refused for a long time out of principle but I'd like to spend more time in PA and be able to visit my family a little more.