Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Wow. I guess I was not legal on my hikes thru Pincho then. I had my .45 in my fanny pack while hiking with my daughter.

BB

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while. I'm sure it gets read a lot though.

I would like to point out a few things from the airport domain...

No airport is "Federal." When they speak of "Federalizing" an airport they are speaking of the TSA employees or the employees that were prior contract screeners. Every airport that is in the U.S. is privately owned. (Thank God for that) Now you have 2 parts to every airport.

Landside and Air Side.

AKA Non-Sterile and Sterile side.

No airport in the State of Pennsylvania has a law stating that it is illegal to have a weapon in it. (If they did they would have to arrest eveyone that transports a weapon to and from that airport) They do have a law stating that it is illegal to transport a weapon to the "Sterile" side of the aiport. That means if you go to the check point and begin the screening process and you attempt to take a weapon through with you, you have just violated Federal law. However, it is left to the local authorities if they will prosecute. If they don't follow through you can be sure you will be hit with a 10,000 dollar minimum fine from the TSAs Civil side of the house. (I have seen fines in excess of 25,000 dollars written out. And yes they will stick, meaning you will have to pay them) You can carry Concealed or Openly in any airport in the state of PA as long as you do not breach the sterile side. (Don't go through the check point) As you all know (Or should know) the PA state Constitution has a clause that no county, city...Etc. can add more restrictions...Etc. If you follow the laws set forth by the STATE you will be fine. The only time you will run into the Federal side is if you breach that check point with a firearm. For those that do fly...If you decide to take a weapon with you, ENSURE YOU DECLARE THAT WEAPON WHEN CHECKING IN TO YOUR AIR CARRIER AND WHEN YOU TAKE YOUR BAG AND GIVE IT TO THE TSA EMPLOYEE! I cannot stress that enough. If you do not, you will face the same consequences as you would if you breach the check point with a weapon. YOU MUST DECLARE YOUR FRIEARMS WHEN YOU CHECK IN!!! I don't care what you have read on the "Net", you must declare them.

For those that question the carrying in airports for PA...Think of it like this, if it is against the law in that city to have a firearm in the airport but they let passengers check weapons in anyway, the local LEA would be in violation of their own laws for thei city. It just doesn't work like that. Kind of like saying it's okay to drive drunk just as long as you only drink beer and not whiskey.

When you check your firearms, ensure that you get a firearms declaration tag from your Air Carrier. (The Airline Company that you are flying with) I can't tell you enough the importance of this.

Another thing that I have seen/heard (More than I care to admit) is this...

I swear officer, I totally forgot my weapon was in my bag. Or, I forgot that I put my weapon in my bag. Or, I can't believe my wife/husband put that in my bag. Or, I can't remember my name half the time how am I supposed to remember where my gun is. Or, I thought it was okay to carry my weapon with me.

You ask how do I know...I've been told that crap more times than I would like to admit. Here's the thing (Personal Opinion) If you don't know that you have a weapon in your bag, you shouldn't be carrying one. (A weapon that is) If you are that complacent with a firearm, you should re-evaluate yourself. How could you not know where your weapons are? I find it laughable when I have passengers that say that crap. Just remember, it is YOUR responsibilty to be a safe and responsible firearms user.

Okay, now that I have said what I have said, don't take this as a get out of jail free card. I can't be held liable for any decisions you make based on what I have stated. Just follow the rules, laws and regulations and you will be fine.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CQB View Post
    If you don't know that you have a weapon in your bag, you shouldn't be carrying one. (A weapon that is) If you are that complacent with a firearm, you should re-evaluate yourself. How could you not know where your weapons are? I find it laughable when I have passengers that say that crap.
    Exactly. That's what I find laughable about Huckabee's son saying he "didn't know" he had a gun in his carryon. Dude...if you don't know where your firearm is, you have no right having one. This isn't a set of keys or a wallet you can just "forget". ESPECIALLY if you're going to be flying, for chrissakes. How does someone not know where they've put a firearm?

(Monroe County)

2. Elementary and Secondary schools, grounds and buildings whether the school is private or public - State statute, however there is a clause for affirmative defense for "other lawful purposes".

Is ESU a private school.. As being a school that is not public use though tax dollars?
    When you think, You think you know!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PweShay View Post
    2. Elementary and Secondary schools, grounds and buildings whether the school is private or public - State statute, however there is a clause for affirmative defense for "other lawful purposes".

Is ESU a private school.. As being a school that is not public use though tax dollars?

Are the grades taught Kindergarten through 12th grade? If so, its one of the off-limits places. If its a college - its not covered by the law. But the college could expel you for violations.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Thank You.. For your responce
    When you think, You think you know!

(Chester County)

2. Elementary and Secondary schools(K-12 grades), grounds and buildings whether the school is private or public

Another school question...
    The church I attend has a private christian school attached. In other words, it's all on the same property. Yes, it is K-12. Can I carry in church? Since this school is a "ministry" of our local church, it it still illegal to carry there during school hours?

Greg

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PweShay View Post

Universities = Private School.

(Montgomery County)

To go along the same lines as the recent school posts. Where would one find the information about the university that would be able to tell you what there legalities are when it comes to firearms and me carrying one on their property?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by natewal4430 View Post
    To go along the same lines as the recent school posts. Where would one find the information about the university that would be able to tell you what there legalities are when it comes to firearms and me carrying one on their property?
    I'm afraid I don't understand the question.
    Are you loking for info to give the school, or info backing up what the schoool can/can't do?

Page 7 of 86 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast