Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 69 of 86 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

You are correct in that my license does list it as "Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms' but rather than nitpick we all know that without that license we cannot carry concealed and therefore most of us rather than use the term PLTCF we simplify it to CCP. And fact is one cannot open carry in some Pa cities without that same license.
    I have no idea of what I said that you consider BS so might you clarify? I am always eager to learn being an ole lady who has owned guns since before I was married.

It IS LEGAL to carry concealed into a bar and/or restaurant in Penn.

To expand: arrested for a DUI is a criminal act and if found with a loaded weapon that I was told is grounds to lose your license to carry if convicted. I may have been misinformed but I accept that as a possibility.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: READ FIRST: Where you CAN and CANNOT Carry weapons in the State of Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by DianeL View Post
    And fact is one cannot open carry in some Pa cities without that same license.
    Not quite.

PA statute imposes that requirement on "cities of the first class." That means, population over 1,000,000. Currently, only Philadelphia meets that standard, with Pittsburgh being the next closest, but FAR from that number. So while it's possibly that some day "cities" could be accurate, today, and for the foreseeable future it is not.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by DianeL View Post
    To expand: arrested for a DUI is a criminal act and if found with a loaded weapon that I was told is grounds to lose your license to carry if convicted. I may have been misinformed but I accept that as a possibility.
    Getting a DUI in and of itself is far from being considered grounds for revocation. Whether a firearm is in the vehicle is immaterial. Multiple DUIs, however, can lead to a revocation.

When in doubt, one should always read the applicable statute. In this particular instance, the applicable statute is 18 Pa. C.S. § 6109 (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...1.009.000..HTM).

Subsection (i) of the aforementioned statute section reads, in part:

(i) Revocation.--A license to carry firearms may be revoked by the issuing authority for good cause. A license to carry firearms shall be revoked by the issuing authority for any reason stated in subsection (e)(1) which occurs during the term of the permit.
    The first sentence states an LTCF may be revoked for "good cause." What, exactly, is "good cause?" That's a good question, and one subject to interpretation. We all know that anything exceeding sneezing in public in Philadelphia would be grounds for revocation due to their interpretation of the term. Elsewhere? It takes a few more outlandish acts.

The second sentence states an LTCF will be revoked for any of the things mentioned earlier in subsection (e)(1), which are those items that will prevent a person from getting an LTCF in the first place. These items are:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L.233, No.64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    A single DUI conviction, whether a firearm was or was not present, is not listed as a disqualifying "criminal act" under either subsubsections (i) thru (ix), inclusive, nor is it listed under Section 6105 referenced in subsubsection (iii) or (iv).

Please consider your having been misinformed an error on someone else's part. Again, when in doubt about what the law is, it helps to read the law (where possible).

P.S. You stated you were "an ole lady who has owned guns since before I was married." May I presume to understand that to mean that you've been married for some time? If so, I just hit the 40-year mark. If your number is higher, then I've got some way to go to catch up to you. If your number is lower, then you've got a goal to meet.

(Juniata County)

That only applies to open carry does it not but not for those that have a legal PLCF? As far as I know I can carry concealed in Philly and actually have done so on numerous occassions, even while eating dinner and having a glass of wine. Might I have been in violation somehow?

(Juniata County)

@Statkowski,
    I did know of one person who lost his permit after his 2nd DUI. Actually the sheriff would not renew the original.

My husband has been deceased now for 8 years and we were together since 1976.
    I like your display. I have a similar one hanging on my living room wall alongside the flag given to me at the veterans cemetary. He was awarded 5 bronze stars (one with a 'v' and another with an arrowhead) and the purple heart having served in Korea.
    Bill Plaques 1.jpg

(Warren County)

The law is silent on booze consumption, and gun toting, so no worries.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Not quite.

PA statute imposes that requirement on "cities of the first class." That means, population over 1,000,000. Currently, only Philadelphia meets that standard, with Pittsburgh being the next closest, but FAR from that number. So while it's possibly that some day "cities" could be accurate, today, and for the foreseeable future it is not.
    Does the avatar you use have something to do with law enforcement? My wife saw it today and was wondering what it means.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(York County)

Hi everyone. I'm looking for clarification on carrying in or within 1000' of a school. Wednesday I will be picking up my granddaughters from their elementary school for the first time.

At daycare, I secured my pistol in my truck and went in with my holster exposed, as my work shirt is too snug to cover without printing.

Is this OK at an actual school, or should I leave the holster in the vehicle as well.

Thanks,
    Dan

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkaterDan View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm looking for clarification on carrying in or within 1000' of a school. Wednesday I will be picking up my granddaughters from their elementary school for the first time.

At daycare, I secured my pistol in my truck and went in with my holster exposed, as my work shirt is too snug to cover without printing.

Is this OK at an actual school, or should I leave the holster in the vehicle as well.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Although you fail to state it, I assume you have an LTCF. Also assuming that the school is an elementary school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary parochial school.

If you park you truck on the school grounds with the firearm inside you are arguably in violation of 18 Pa CS 912. Similarly, but with lessened certainty, you are providing conveyance to/from a school and may violate a separate provision of the same law.

§ 912. Possession of weapon on school property.
    (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon"
    in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime),
    "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be
    limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-
    chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool,
    instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily
    injury.

(b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the
    first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on
    the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to
    or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational
    institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed
    by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary
    parochial school.

(c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is
    possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised
    school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
    purpose.
    Reliance on the 'other lawful purpose' defense is not well established.

The 1000' exclusion is a Federal law (18 USC 9822(q)) but, with an LTCF, you qualify for an exemption in Pa.

There are no legal restrictions on where you can wear an empty holster - 'legal' doesn't necessary imply 'prudent'.
    IANAL

(York County)

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the "conveyance..." part.

Looks like I'll be traveling unarmed for the first time since I got my LTCF

Page 69 of 86 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast