Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Comments on the S&W M&P 9mm

All,

Frenchy had asked me some questions about my M&P in the Chatroom, and I didn't get a chance to respond to him before he had to leave. So, instead of using a PM, I figured I'd post answers to the forum in case anyone else had similar questions regarding the M&P.

Note that I haven't fired the gun yet, hoping to do that in the near future, although I'm not sure when.

If anyone else has additional questions regrading the M&P, feel free to post them to this thread and I'll answer as much as I can. Also, I have pics of the gun posted to this thread if anyone's interested:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...e-m-p-9mm.html

Q: i prefer that to my Sigma, how was the price?

A: I like it better than the Sigma as well. I'm a lefty, and out of all the guns I looked at, none seemed as well suited to lefties as the M&P. Surprisingly, although some are claiming it's a re-vamped Sigma (because of the similar, but not the same, trigger), according to S&W there's not single interchangeable part between the Sigma and the M&P. A completely ground-up design.

Price wasn't bad, just under 5 bills. Cheaper than the comparable XDs, which I was considering. And, it's 100% American Made; this isn't the end-all-be-all for me, but I like to buy American when I can, especially when I feel I'm getting a top-quality product for a price as good or better.

Q: how do you like changing the back of the grip?

A: Messed with changing the grip last night. Super easy to do it, hardest part is getting the "tool" in the back of the grip removed the first time. Once it was done one time though, it came out relatively easy without feeling loose our like it was going to fall out. I tried all 3 grips; Large was WAY too big. I liked the feel of both the Medium and Small, and I'm going to try both when shooting to see which works best.

(Northampton County)

These S&W M&P's seem very very nice. I think Im going to get one in 40.
    For $369 it seems like a great deal!
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

(Philadelphia County)

For 369 it IS a GREAT!!!deal.

They are IMO great firearms. I have the 40...love it it handles and feels great. I usde the large grips and they provide both r and l handed firing.

(Berks County)

Yeah, $369 is an amazing price. I definitely paid more than that

(Allegheny County)

Default S&W M&Ps

Well Lady Luck blessed me over the weekend to win a S&W revolver. I'm going to be trading it for a 9mm M&P. I'll look forward to competing with it in IDPA and USPSA.

BTW, there's a PA gunsmith from Altoona area that does a sweet trigger job and other work on the M&P's - Dan Burwell. He showed me his M&P and I loved the trigger pull. Can't wait to get mine and have him do the trigger job and install a fiber optic front sight.

He hangs out at the M&P forum. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php and you can check out the section Burwell Gunsmithing. Dan's a nice guy that will also give you info on taking care of your MP and answer questions.

RP

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlibra View Post
    Well Lady Luck blessed me over the weekend to win a S&W revolver. I'm going to be trading it for a 9mm M&P. I'll look forward to competing with it in IDPA and USPSA.

BTW, there's a PA gunsmith from Altoona area that does a sweet trigger job and other work on the M&P's - Dan Burwell. He showed me his M&P and I loved the trigger pull. Can't wait to get mine and have him do the trigger job and install a fiber optic front sight.

He hangs out at the M&P forum. http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php and you can check out the section Burwell Gunsmithing. Dan's a nice guy that will also give you info on taking care of your MP and answer questions.

RP
    I've seen mention of him in my lurking on the M&P forum, didn't realize he was in PA. May have to talk to him if/when I get night sights for mine.

Default Re: Comments on the S&W M&P 9mm

Think I would have kept the revolver and bought an M&P. Bought one this weekend at the Richmond Gun show ($40 above Bud's). By the time I would have gotten it here, the price would have been about the same. This is my first 9mm. I never liked any I've fired. I've only had time to put a couple of hundred rounds through it. Like the feel, like the sights. Changing the grip is a snap. Field stripping is a snap.

The pistol shot good groups. The only problem was they were about 4" low and an inch left at 12 yards. After another 250 or so rounds, it may go back to S&W if I can can eliminate the shooter from the error. The left was constant with three shooters. The low was 2 out of 3. Fixing left is easy.

Like the gun, seems to be fun to shoot and I believe it will do for what I bought it for.

CR I saw the gunsmith for the M&P the other night...his trigger jobs are only $50, which is cheap compared to the $100+ for the XD's. Sounds like M&Ps are notorious for shooting low...which is a shame...the recoil on those pistols are nice. I'd give him a call or email him and ask him what he recommends for NS.

(Blair County)

Aubie515,
    There has been a thread going over on the M&P forum about this "shooting low" phenomena:
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=888
    It is my opinion most of this is due to operator error as I have yet to test fire one that does this low left business. I think the pistol does somewhat contribute to this with the over-travel that is present as it leaves the factory. Having said that the over travel is no more than any other polymer gun.

CR,
    as far as night sight go the only option right now is the factory route and at $175 they really aren't much of an option. I am working on some other options right now and will know more later.

Dan

I'm not sure if it's operator error when a pistol is shooting 7-8" low at 7 yards...but if that's what you want to believe...by all means.

What makes the M&P so special that it cost $175 (double what other night sights are running?
    Last edited by aubie515; November 8th, 2006 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Trying to be PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast