Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default How did Jefferson Know??

How did Jefferson Know??

It has been said the greatest volume of sheer brainpower in one place occurred when Jefferson dined alone...

Especially read the last quote from 1802.

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe,
    we shall become as corrupt as Europe .Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those
    who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes.
    A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
    government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.. Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered..'

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have...' Thomas Jefferson

(York County)

Default Re: How did Jefferson Know??

How did he know? Easy.

1) This has all happened before. What's going on right now in the U.S. is not unique.
    2) Jefferson, like all wise folks, was a student of history.
    3) Human behavior is predictable.
    4) Lastly, he and a small group of miscreants were determined not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Put those together and it almost seems like common sense. What made it uncommon then are the same reasons it is not common today. Not all are students of history, not all are determined to avoid the mistakes of the past, and, some are so determined to go "their" way, they are willing to ignore those lessons even when they are aware of them.

You know, in the name of progress.

Just my take on it anyway. YMMV

P.S. Ah luvs me some Jefferson!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Great quotes from a great man! It is a shame that so many have a limited knowledge of U.S. history. IMO, I don't think you can truly appreciate all that was done by our forefathers until you reach a certain age/point in your life.

(Bucks County)

We are doomed !! And our grandchildren are F%$#@!ED !!

(Chester County)

He knew what they were escaping from!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Great quotes from a great man! It is a shame that so many have a limited knowledge of U.S. history. IMO, I don't think you can truly appreciate all that was done by our forefathers until you reach a certain age/point in your life.
    Absolutely, in the same breath, my hope is that just as I have awakened, so will countless others as they mature.

It is a pet peeve of mine when older generations lump younger ones together by saying things like, "kids these days" or "things used to be better" blah blah blah. Your (no-one in particular) parents said things like that, just as thier parents said the same thing, just as I think things like that about mine. Teach them the basics and they will get it eventually.

My thoughts are that parents ought to let kids fall flat on there faces (metaphorically speaking), just shy of the bottom of the pit, instead of "helping" them when the slightest whiff of hardship appears.

sorry for the rant.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand