Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default ar15 stripped lower specs

Here are the specs:

Our lowers are hammer forged and precision machined from 7076 T6 aluminum alloy forgings. The A2 designed lowers are reinforced around the front pivot pin and receiver extension area. Hard Anodize mil. spec. AB625, type III, class II finish with a black Teflon final seal coat to protect against corrosion. Raised ridge around mag. Release catch button.

I'm an AR noobie. How does this lower sound? Any concerns?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: ar15 stripped lower specs

Sounds good to me. Who is the manufacture? What they say on a website might not be the real life experience had with them. Keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Sounds good to me. Who is the manufacture? What they say on a website might not be the real life experience had with them. Keep that in mind.
    Yeah, I was more wondering about the specs listed. I'm not sure who the mfg is. I'll look into it but does it really matter as long as those are the actual specs?

Is this lower an OK lower, average, good, great, or superb? I'm not sure what makes a good lower and what makes an awesome one.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not completely up to speed on all the "Mil-spec" specs, but IMHO the lower is the last important part of the build. As long as it's in spec, then it's GTG.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I'm not completely up to speed on all the "Mil-spec" specs, but IMHO the lower is the last important part of the build. As long as it's in spec, then it's GTG.
    That's whata I was thinking. These stripped lowers are going for $65 a piece too... pretty damn good price.

(Philadelphia County)

GSE lowers are not ubiquitous, but I haven't heard complaints about them either. As long as they are in specs, they are just as good as any receivers. Their complete ARs though supposedly have chi-com parts: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=461037

Al

(Susquehanna County)

Ah, good call. gunsmoke enterprises is the mfg.

Based on the specs above, would you buy one? It sounds good but I don't know what other mfgs use for materials, etc.

Would it be worth saving for a RRA or would a $65 lower be just as good? (I think I'm over thinking things )

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Ah, good call. gunsmoke enterprises is the mfg.

Based on the specs above, would you buy one? It sounds good but I don't know what other mfgs use for materials, etc.

Would it be worth saving for a RRA or would a $65 lower be just as good? (I think I'm over thinking things )
    I think most other companies use 7076 T6 as well. Sun Devil, my favorite company right now, makes their stuff out of 6061 and some people think it's "soft" because 7076 is harder. However, here's another opinion from a gunsmith: "6061 aluminum has some significant advantages over 7076. While 7076 is "harder" than 6061, it is more brittle. 6061 has a lot more "give" and resilience. 6061 is also more corrosion resistant."

Gut feeling is that you get what you pay for. I don't know how many you want to build, but if you are going to build just one or 2, why not get a lower you really want, RRA, Sun Devil.

Al

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I think most other companies use 7076 T6 as well. Sun Devil, my favorite company right now, makes their stuff out of 6061 and some people think it's "soft" because 7076 is harder. However, here's another opinion from a gunsmith: "6061 aluminum has some significant advantages over 7076. While 7076 is "harder" than 6061, it is more brittle. 6061 has a lot more "give" and resilience. 6061 is also more corrosion resistant."

Gut feeling is that you get what you pay for. I don't know how many you want to build, but if you are going to build just one or 2, why not get a lower you really want, RRA, Sun Devil.

Al
    Cost.
    I also saw one with 7075. Any idea bout that or do you think it was a misprint?

Any ideas what RRA and the other higher end lowers are made of?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Cost.
    I also saw one with 7075. Any idea bout that or do you think it was a misprint?

Any ideas what RRA and the other higher end lowers are made of?
    "Why not" was rhetorical

RRA are also 7076, like most other manufacturers of forged lowers (http://www.topgunsupply.com/long-guns-rock-river-arms/). I don't consider RRA to be "higher end", but rather just typical (like DPMS, Grizzly, EA, Stag, Spike, etc.). As a matter of fact, RRA is my least favorite lower in terms of finish. The fit is just fine, but finish is the least attractive of all the ones I have (the others are Essential Arms, DPMS, Sun Devil). I recommend Sun Devil highly. It's reinforced (extra materials added at some spots) and has a tension screw that allows for you to mate with any upper as tight as you want.

Al

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast