Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Anyone else own an HDTV?

I've been set on buying a 22 inch HDTV thats a Samsung, the picture just seems better. However I got to play with a Sony Bravia, and I think it blows the Samsung away. The Samsung has 3watt speakers, the Sony has 8watts per speaker. A few better features, more HDMI hookups ect.

Anyone else own an HDTV?

I've been checking into the Sony Bravia 26 inch. The bigger models are a beast, so I think this little one should be ok.

I really dont want to buy to buy a new tv. My current tv a few years old (a samsung), I can be watching it and the sound will go out, I'll have to either A slap it, or B turn it off then on to get the sound to work, and that doesnt always work. or just one speaker is working. Then if I am watching something that has a white screen, the part that is white turns green.

Time for a new tv i think.

For those that own an HDTV, how do you like it?

I thought our cable company would screw us over, but they dont. $4 a month for the box, and 5.95$ a month for the service for "HD Basic" which is all our channels, plus like a few more in HD. I'll just need a blu ray player and I'll be set.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Anyone else own an HDTV?

What do you watch on it? Is this your primary TV? Do you want surround sound, are you thinking about a dvd player/sound system? Do you have space issues? How big is the room? Do you use a cable box? Do you need over the air reception?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    What do you watch on it? Is this your primary TV? Do you want surround sound, are you thinking about a dvd player/sound system? Do you have space issues? How big is the room? Do you use a cable box? Do you need over the air reception?
    I have some surround sound speakers I could hook up if I want to. This would be a bedroom tv. DVD player, I'd be getting a blu-ray player. No space issues. The cable company has to give us a box for it, and no over the air needed.

I'd be using it for TV ( can't wait to watch house in HD....), Movies, my Xbox 360.

The Sony it's listed for $450, but I am pretty sure I'll pay much less, so that is a reason why I am getting it over the samsung as well. For the price of the 22inch, I can get the 26inch for the same price.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; October 30th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

You'll love HD channels on an HD TV, but if you watch a lot of standard def channels, you may not like the HDTV! Not to discourage though...I love mine! I havent been to a movie theater since I got mine! LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    You'll love HD channels on an HD TV, but if you watch a lot of standard def channels, you may not like the HDTV! Not to discourage though...I love mine! I havent been to a movie theater since I got mine! LOL
    Haha yeah, like the cable company we have we get all the local channels in HD, Discovery (mythbusters, storm chasers ect), TBS, TNT, FX, USA. I mainly watch all those channels so I don't think I'd have any issues.

I found some nice HDMI cables on Amazon that are on sale. I figure I'd have to buy two, one for the cable box, and one for the blu ray player.

(York County)

just picked up a 52" Sony Bravia a few months back and love it so far. The picture on it is amazing and since I never owned a bigger screen tv all my life it was a nice adjustment. Playing the Xbox 360 on it I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe how good it looked. I noticed that I can actually read the small disclaimer print at the bottom of the screen on commercials. In the few short months that I had the Bravia I did have a few problems which seemed to go away by them selves. I had to switch the cable boxes hdmi in from where it was to a 2nd input because for a little while the tv said no signal when it was plugged in to the first hdmi slot even though the cable box was on. A few weeks later I changed it back to the original hdmi slot and it has been working so far without the same problem. One day I turned on the tv and the picture was purple, this happened on every channel and in the setup menu for the tv. Turned it off and back on and the problem went away. Besides these two problems I am happy with it. Since the tv is so damn big and because it is sitting on a pretty tall tv stand, the top of the tv is actually resting against the roof of my house. I noticed there are some vents up there and am unsure if these problems are because it is so close to the ceiling. Another thing you may be concerned with is I havent really experienced a flat screen tv that had decent speakers. The speakers in the Bravia are moderate but I noticed the speakers rattling a little when turned up halfway and a deep bass note hits. You may want to consider hooking it up to a surroud sound system with seperate subs if you are looking for good sound quality. A neat feautre of the Bravia is that it has sync technology and you should be able to control other Sony branded items ps3, receivers, dvd ect with the tv.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Allegheny County)

I have two HDTV, both Samsung, one 36 inch and one 46 inch. Once you start watching channels in HD, you'll hate won't want to watch them any other way.

(Washington County)

One bit of advice... check out Visio. They have good product at good prices. One big thing about them is that they dont ship out tons of stock, so product line problems arent widespread.

If you want real good qulaity, stay away from Philips, Magnavox or Poloaroid. Do look at Pioneer sets.

And do your eyes a favor, go at least 26 or 32. Anything smaller cant really give you full 1080 HD, and trust me, I work on (2) 22" screens all day, and they arent all that great for media watching unless you are about 3-5 feet away.

Also, dont be tricked into HD packages on your cable. check out what you can get locally through an antenna. My fox and normal stations comes in full 1080 without a hitch.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    I have some surround sound speakers I could hook up if I want to. This would be a bedroom tv. DVD player, I'd be getting a blu-ray player. No space issues. The cable company has to give us a box for it, and no over the air needed.

I'd be using it for TV ( can't wait to watch house in HD....), Movies, my Xbox 360.

The Sony it's listed for $450, but I am pretty sure I'll pay much less, so that is a reason why I am getting it over the samsung as well. For the price of the 22inch, I can get the 26inch for the same price.
    If this isn't a primary viewing setup, then you probably don't need to worry about sound quality as much. If this were your main viewing TV, it'd be more important. And granted, this is all personal choice. But I'd rather spend some money on a good speaker/amplifier (some have 5.1 speaker systems, some have wireless speakers, some have the "surround by the front speaker only" options) - this is your choice and you can change it without changing the TV.

If you don't watch sports on it, then you won't need the 120hz or 240hz features as much. And I believe they do some overdriving of the LCD and can shorten age a bit (not much.)

Also, for color quality, if your main TV already has that covered, get the cheap TV.

That said, the sony bravia is nice too.

(Washington County)

And dont pay store prices for HDMI!!!!!!!

www.monoprice.com

They sell good stuff for tons less than the crap that is sold at most stores with the tvs.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast