Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Derry Rod & Gun Club

Does anyone belong to the Derry Rod & Gun Club? I hear it is open to new memberships, but I don't know anyone to sponsor me. I'd love to join, it is fairly close to my house and would be convenient to visit the range and lake! Any information would be appreciated...

I have friends in the Burrell Club, but it is a pretty good haul to shoot there.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Derry Rod & Gun Club

Looks like I'm too late...membership is closed. I will be joining the Burrell Club in Blacklick, PA. It is further from my house, but it does have indoor archery and pistol range! Also outdoor ranges up to 300 yards! (Private stocked lake, also!) Sometimes the best decision get made for you!

(York County)

Smile Re: Derry Rod & Gun Club

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Looks like I'm too late...membership is closed. I will be joining the Burrell Club in Blacklick, PA. It is further from my house, but it does have indoor archery and pistol range! Also outdoor ranges up to 300 yards! (Private stocked lake, also!) Sometimes the best decision get made for you!
    I had a chance to go to the Burrell Club as a guest but ran out of time while visiting over the Thanksgiving break. I would like to know what you think of it. I have a friend who has gone also as a guest and he said that he was very impressed. If I heard him right the yearly membership was very reasonable.

I shot at derry rod and gun over the thanksgiving break. It was quite a ride up to the top of the hill and it had a pretty good pistol range. The biggest downside was that the pistol range was right next to the rifle range and on the day we were shooting there were a few people sighting in there rifles for the first day of deer season. Everyone there was fine but I had to think that all the gunfire from 3 pistols had to be nerve racking for those trying to concentrate on sighting in there rifles.

(Westmoreland County)

I actually never ended up joining Burrell. My neighbor keeps promising me membership in Derry Rod & Gun, which is close to me. Burrell is really nice, but it is about 40 minutes from me. I love the indoor pistol range and out door range, but the drive will limit my chances to visit. I'm still holding out for Derry...LOL

(Westmoreland County)

Greensburg Sportsman's club is only 10 miles away.
    The pistol range is really rustic,but we have a roofed 100 yard benchrest range,a 500 yard range,2 trap setups,one Skeet and a sporting clays tower.
    An archery range with 3d targets,a 3 acre fishing pond,a couple roofed pavilions that can be rented,400 club-owned acres that you can hunt deer and pheasants on.
    We need some homeland defense rifle expertise to advise us old farts on getting ready for the upcoming Liberal Fascist regime in D.C.
    Last edited by manyplews; December 7th, 2008 at 10:06 PM.
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by manyplews View Post
    Greensburg Sportsman's club is only 10 miles away.
    The pistol range is really rustic,but we have a roofed 100 yard benchrest range,a 500 yard range,2 trap setups,one Skeet and a sporting clays tower.
    An archery range with 3d targets,a 3 acre fishing pond,a couple roofed pavilions that can be rented,400 club-owned acres that you can hunt deer and pheasants on.
    We need some homeland defense rifle expertise to advise us old farts on getting ready for the upcoming Liberal Fascist regime in D.C.
    Haha...I might have to check it out! Where is the club? I haven't heard of it before...

(Westmoreland County)

Its a damn shame how a regular guy like my self can in no way join their club. I have tried, but I dont know anyone who frequents their bar. What a crime it is not to know some guy, whos uncle got him in, whos ass is glued to a barstool day and night. My money is green, my blood is red, and dare I say my skin is white. And hence, if you have moved to derry, with no family here, Dont think for a second that youll get into that "society" without a struggle.

(Westmoreland County)

Rocketfoot and pjj342, Try Loydsville sportsmans. Don't know much about it but my customers that belong there seem to like it. I have been a member at Burrell for 5 or so years and really enjoy the club. Most of the time I'm the only one at the rifle benches.

Alan
    Lock Stock and Barrel, Inc.

(Indiana County)

I am trying to get into the Burrell rod and gun club. Is there POC or someone that can get me in?

I live one mile away.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jrwoodley15 View Post
    I am trying to get into the Burrell rod and gun club. Is there POC or someone that can get me in?

I live one mile away.
    I shot at Burrell years ago but don't know anyone there now...Nice club!