Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Semi-auto 7.62 Rifle Tactics : Rhodesian Cover ('Drake') Shooting

Posted for those with NATO style rifles.

http://smallwarsjournal.com/document...e-shooting.pdf

Also known as Drake Shooting, Rhodesian Cover Shooting may be defined as the shooting
    technique employed to quickly kill concealed insurgents through the various phases of close
    quarter combat in the African savanna and jesse bush. The method did not replace "fire and
    movement" procedures, but was rather the primary activity of them. Cover shooting has also
    been described as a "flushing" action, but this is not strictly accurate. While flushing terrorists
    from their concealment has obvious advantages, particularly when working with close helicopter
    support, the first objective of cover shooting was to kill the enemy without the need to see him or
    locate his exact position first. Likewise the method should not be confused with other foreign
    practises such as walking suppression fire directed "at the jungle." Cover shooting was not a
    random spraying of bullets, but a deliberate and methodical routine designed to elicit maximum
    effect for the least expenditure of ammunition.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Semi-auto 7.62 Rifle Tactics : Rhodesian Cover ('Drake') Shooting

good article ... thanks for posting it
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Blair County)

Thank you for posting that. It's very interesting to have seen some of the TTPs that came before that (like the Project B-52 SOPs) and what is still in unit's combat SOPs today.

The "Drake Firing" is what I learned as "known and likely." Basically, you're in contact or in a free fire area, so you start firing into "known and likely" enemy positions.

Not so much a "recon by fire," but more of a logical elimination of where the bad guys can't be hiding, and you shoot into what you haven't eliminated. In his first book, Paul Howe talks about doing the same thing in a urban setting in Somalia.

I'm surprised he mentions, but doesn't discuss the Fireforce concept, which I think could have been applied successfully to some of our recent experiences.

Basically, SAS, Selous Scouts, and small RLI elemets would patrol and try to make contact. This follows the idea that if you make initial contact with the smallest possible element, it gives you the most maneuver options.

When they made a contact that indicated the presence of a larger terrorist force, there were RLI elements that were effectively on "strip alert", and they would start to insert, either by helo or parachute, as close to the contact as possible, and immediately start maneuvering on the opposition. They would continue to pour forces in as required to get the maximum exploitation out of the contact.

Part of this was made possible by the fact (mentioned in the article) that the better trained and more disciplined SAS, Selous Scouts, RLI, and RAR were all more than a match for equivalent numbers of enemy forces. The hard part was making the contact and actually maintaining the contact until you could get enough forces into the fight, then keeping contact long enough that they could inflict the maximum damage.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    Thank you for posting that. It's very interesting to have seen some of the TTPs that came before that (like the Project B-52 SOPs) and what is still in unit's combat SOPs today.

The "Drake Firing" is what I learned as "known and likely." Basically, you're in contact or in a free fire area, so you start firing into "known and likely" enemy positions.

Not so much a "recon by fire," but more of a logical elimination of where the bad guys can't be hiding, and you shoot into what you haven't eliminated. In his first book, Paul Howe talks about doing the same thing in a urban setting in Somalia.

I'm surprised he mentions, but doesn't discuss the Fireforce concept, which I think could have been applied successfully to some of our recent experiences.
    Are you referring to the passages where he talked about rotating through all the windows and shadows, and putting a round into them "to keep people honest"?

I left my copy with some of my buddies from GA, so I don't have it in front of me...I need to pickup another copy. Have you read his second book?

this seems like pretty standard patrol and reaction to fire operations. i'm guessing the DOD read this at one time, too. pretty close to Army and Marine Corps infanry tactics i was trained.

good article, though.

shoot through cover!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Are you referring to the passages where he talked about rotating through all the windows and shadows, and putting a round into them "to keep people honest"?

I left my copy with some of my buddies from GA, so I don't have it in front of me...I need to pickup another copy. Have you read his second book?
    Yes. Same thing, different environment.

The second book is worth reading, but the subject matter is a lot more dry, and it takes a lot more effort to get through it.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Montgomery County)

I guess this is what it looks like on the other side of such fire...

It gets good at the 43 second point:

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

That's hilarious as long as your not the one messed with. The Japanese game shows get weirder and weirder.