Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Upgrading my AR-15 - advice wanted

Hi All,
    This is my first official post...I just stumbled onto the website today while trying to do some research and figured maybe I could get some good feedback.

Here's the situation...
    I purchased a Bushmaster M4A1 (fixed handle) right after the election amid the gun craze, just so I could at least have one. Well, things are calming down now, and I'd like to upgrade it to a model with a flat-top receiver. I have never shot the rifle (I know, sacrilege, because I anticipated I might sell/trade up).

I'm not a gunsmith, and don't feel comfortable messing around (yet), so the idea of buying a flat-top and installing is out, especially since Bushmaster wants $190 for the flat-top plus $116 for the handle. So I'm just looking to get a model that I want.

Here are my parameters: this will be recreation shooting, plinking, and kept in the gun safe in case of anarchy or zombies, whichever comes first (I keep the Remington as a closet gun). I'm looking to trade-in, and spend an extra $100-$200...probably nothing over a thousand unless a good deal appears. I'd like to hold on to some money to accessorize (doesn't that sound girly??), ie quad rail, upgrade stock, extra mags, tac light, forward grip, etc.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? I've heard good things about Stag, DPMS, RRA. I'd even consider Colt or S&Wfor a good price. Again, I'm not looking to spend $1300 or more. What about warranties? Bushmaster doesn't have a lifetime warranty that I know of, which I'd like to have. Any other manufacturers that I might consider? There are a few gun shows coming up and I'd like to be prepared. Also, any idea on what I should ask for on an un-fired Bushmaster M4A1???

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the rambling!!!

Happy shooting!!!

Default Re: Upgrading my AR-15 - advice wanted

Here is a Rock River that may fit your request. it has sights plus it can convert to a flattop. I've seen them priced for about $1,000 purent.jpg

G&R Tactical has complete Bravo Company Mid Length AR's for a little over $1100. It's probably the best bang for the buck you'll get. You could also check out Daniel Defense AR's at AIM surplus. There are good deals to be had. Check out m4carbine.net forums for info on the bravo company mid lenth. If I were buying another AR, that's the one I'd get. Top notch quality and good prices. It's not as well known as the Bushmaster, Stag, RR brands, but the quality is right up there with a colt for less $$.

(Allegheny County)

I have no idea one what a "trade-in" value would be for your bushy. My suggestion:

Sell the bushy outright. Say you get $900 for it, add $200 to it ($1100). With that much you can almost buy whatever you want. Add another $100 and you can definitely buy a very nice rifle such as a Colt, LMT, BCM, and Denial Defense. Other ones to look at would be Stags and Rock River Arms.

All those manufacturers have rifles that fit your requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Luzerne County)

I'm a big fan of DPMS - Broad choice of calibers (Ten in all - .204 Ruger to .338 Federal), good pricing, and phenomenal accuracy on standard models.

I got turned on to DPMS when shooting in Service Rifle matches out in Nebraska, and a lot of guys getting real good scores were shooting DPMS in 5.56 and .308.

(Chester County)

The Colt 6920's at ~$1100 are one of the best deals, currently.

Don't get beat up more than maybe $200 on the rifle. You can convert it into a flat-top for about that.

I wouldn't get a carry handle for any rifle you purchase. If I bought a 6920, I'd put it up for sale online, and buy a DD or Larue rear sight. You only need a sighting device, not a "carry handle".

Did your budget ($1300) include all of the goodies, or the best gun possible, prior to add-on's?

I would honestly recommend you shoot the gun a lot before you go dropping money on accessories. Different preferences for stock weight vs features...having a VFG (or nor) and what length....length, width and weight on a rail system...light output range, mounting location, and switch type.... etc.

Develop your tastes, preferences, and abilities before you go spending money on stuff you'll only want to sell later. Just my advice, having seen too many people make the same mistakes.

What Syn said & every Zombie rifle needs a good sling!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo Whiskey View Post
    What Syn said & every Zombie rifle needs a good sling!
    You mean like the BFG VCAS?

(Lackawanna County)

Just a suggestion, but perhaps Grant at G&R could help you modify your Bushmaster upper to the flattop configuration? At the very least, he'll properly stake the gas key cap screws and receiver extension nut for you. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. Depending on how much you're planning to spend on extras, he might be able to save you some money and you'll still end up with a rock solid AR tailored to your needs.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnOfMyFate View Post
    Just a suggestion, but perhaps Grant at G&R could help you modify your Bushmaster upper to the flattop configuration? At the very least, he'll properly stake the gas key cap screws and receiver extension nut for you. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. Depending on how much you're planning to spend on extras, he might be able to save you some money and you'll still end up with a rock solid AR tailored to your needs.
    Yeah, but he'll still have a commercial receiver extension, carbine buffer, AR carrier, BM bolt, and 1:9 bbl.

Depending on how much that stuff matters to him, now might be the best time to unload it...before it gets shot, especially if it can be sold and the cost of going to the 6920 is less than the cost to upgrade the BM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast