Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to PA - Perry County few Questions

I have been looking a this forum for a few weeks. Some good information on here about firearms and Pa in general.

My wife and I relocated to lovely Perry County a few months ago. Now things are starting to set down and I am getting a little free time. I wanted some advice about gun shows/shops/clubs. It seems like there were more gun shops in VA than around here.

1.) Are there any good local gun shops (besides the big guys Bass Pro/Gander) around Perry/Juniata counties?
    2.) Where are good places to get transfers done should I buy something off an auction site?
    3.) I see there is a gun show in Harrisburg the middle of December and one the week after in King of Prussia. Are either of these good gun shows for modern firearms? Are these pretty large shows and how are the prices? Are there other gun shows I should consider?
    4.) Can you recommend any local clubs. I belong to a very nice club with some great folks in VA and wonder which are recommended up here. I like to shoot pistol & skeet (not to well at this point) for fun.

Thanks for the information. Have a great day.

(Perry County)

Default Re: New to PA - Perry County few Questions

Hey, I live in Duncannon and am a member of the Duncannon Sportsman's Association. They have very basic amenities - outdoor ranges, block building for meetings, etc., and they have regular block shoots, turkey shoots, etc. Membership is only $10/year.

There is also a free state range down off Rt 34 north of Carlisle, and one in Dauphin County on Rt 325 heading up by Dehart Dam.

As far as gun shops go, there is a guy out by Newport that I've dealt with and like. Can't remember the name of the shop, but it is a sports/outdoors shop and he deals w/ new and used guns. I've dealt with him a few times for small things and like him - seems honest, good prices, willing to chat without pressure to buy, etc... I think it is called Hawk's Warehouse or something?

Welcome to Perry County and PAFOA!

Also, I had a transfer done by the guy on Rt 849 right by the stone bridge over the Juniata. It is a small shop, with odd hours, and it almost always looks closed. It looks pretty shady from the outside, but again he seems like a pretty good guy and I think his transfer fee was $20 or $25. Reeser's Gun Shop is that guy's place...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Hey, I live in Duncannon and am a member of the Duncannon Sportsman's Association. They have very basic amenities - outdoor ranges, block building for meetings, etc., and they have regular block shoots, turkey shoots, etc. Membership is only $10/year.

There is also a free state range down off Rt 34 north of Carlisle, and one in Dauphin County on Rt 325 heading up by Dehart Dam.

As far as gun shops go, there is a guy out by Newport that I've dealt with and like. Can't remember the name of the shop, but it is a sports/outdoors shop and he deals w/ new and used guns. I've dealt with him a few times for small things and like him - seems honest, good prices, willing to chat without pressure to buy, etc... I think it is called Hawk's Warehouse or something?

Welcome to Perry County and PAFOA!

Also, I had a transfer done by the guy on Rt 849 right by the stone bridge over the Juniata. It is a small shop, with odd hours, and it almost always looks closed. It looks pretty shady from the outside, but again he seems like a pretty good guy and I think his transfer fee was $20 or $25. Reeser's Gun Shop is that guy's place...

Hey imp81318,

I'm a Perry County Boy.....grew up in Marysville....1 of the many Boyers of Marysville and Duncannon....

twhman---Take imp81318's advice on the Duncannon Sportsmens Club....... I know a few guys who are members there... you can not beat that club for what all they have for thier members!!!! I'm a Member at Marysville Sportsmens Club... like to shoot at the range but we as members are to restricted in amount of ammo allowed in the firearms at a time and we can ONLY Shoot 5 shots at a time...you have a mag that holds 10+ rounds, FORGET IT, You only better be loading 5 and shooting 5 at a time....to much coddling to the home owners that built thier homes LONG AFTER the Club was built and the Club Officers feel they need to Coddle those home owners instead of standing up for the Clubs Rights!!

The SGL Ranges in Dauphin and Cumberland counties are not bad, but if you use them READ the Posted Regulations... you can only have certain amounts of ammo in your firearms at a time and there are other range regulations that if you do not follow, could end you up with a nice little donation paper to the PGC!

As for stores... Hawks is a good 1... trophy quest sporting goods (Someone might need to help me out on this, they may have changed thier name, when they moved)
    There is a new store in Marysville, West Shore Sporting Goods or Gun Shop (Have not been to it yet, but there is a sign along 11&15 right before marysville on the southend)
    The little store in Shermansdale beside the Shermansdale Strip mall.....

Many of the smaller shops will help you out on things that you need, even if they do not have it, they will get it for you, all you normally have to do is ASK.....

As for the Gun Shows, never been to 1....but from what I've heard from some buddies that have gone to them, you can find some very good deals at them, all you have to do is look around!

Welcome to Perry County....Now, seeing you moved into the County, You now have to go to the Perry County Court House and Request an Application to become Citizens a Perry County!

I drive past that shop by the bridge all the time ... I have never stopped since it looks like it has been closed for a while. I will stop today and look at the hours - may be he will be open.

I will join the Duncannon Club since it is only a few miles away and for 10 buck you cannot beat that.

Thanks for the information on the gun shops. Hopefully, we can get feedback on some gun shows.

(Perry County)

I live in Newport. Reesers is the shop at the bridge in Duncannon. Only open a few days a week it seems and they don't have much. Prices seem a bit high too.

Haven't been to Hawks in years. Don't know much about their prices or their stock these days.

I've bought several guns from Kell Bros. in Elizabethville, but thats outside of Perry County.

I'm a member of the New Bloomfield Sportsmens Club. Very small range, only 3 tables - 2 at 100 yds and 1 at 50. It's been pretty quiet there lately. I guess it picks up a lot around deer season. Only $10 a year though.

(Perry County)

Welcome to Perry County. I don't belong to any ranges but I have shot at Ickesburg and Duncannon and New Bloomfield. Duncannon is nice.

As for gunshops...

Chestnut's Sporting Goods in Sherman's Dale.
    Book's Market in Blain.
    Perry County Firearms in Elliottsburg http://www.pcfirearms.com/
    Hawk's Warehouse in Millerstown.
    There is a place on SR850 west of SR34. I can't remember the name.

I like Book's and Chestnut's. I've never been to Perry County Firearms, not my type of guns, however, there has been more than one celebrity that visited there. Hawk's is OK but the prices are higher and transfer fees are high.

Hey, thanks for those gunshop leads. I was at Hawks for fishing stuff in the ?Spring - he had very little but was a nice guy to bs with. I will check out Chestnuts and PCF. Thanks.

I will be joining Duncannon. Have heard about that verbally to.

Thanks

sounds like you have the shops and clubs covered around you and now off to the gun shows...The harrisburg gun show is a nice size show to start with and you should be able to find anything that you are looking for, the prices at the show well that's a different story. ever since the big O took office, prices on everything has risen and not just at this show. the downside of the Hburg show is they take $8 for you to park and another $8 or so to get into the show. Some have parked across the street at the closed government building and walked over....

as for the valley forge show, I haven't been there myself, but I have heard others stating that it is pricey to get into it, somewhere around the $15 per day, too steep if you ask me.

[QUOTE=Woodywoodduck;936089]Hey imp81318,

t like to shoot at the range but we as members are to restricted in amount of ammo allowed in the firearms at a time and we can ONLY Shoot 5 shots at a time...you have a mag that holds 10+ rounds, FORGET IT, You only better be loading 5 and shooting 5 at a time....to much coddling to the home owners that built thier homes LONG AFTER the Club was built and the Club Officers feel they need to Coddle those home owners instead of standing up for the Clubs Rights![quote]

That would be enough of a deterrent to not even sign up for that club and if I was a member and they threw those rules out, I'd be gone in a day. better to let that club fade away if it can't stand up for the rights of it members. what's next, nothing over .22lr subsonic ammo allowed?

(Dauphin County)

[QUOTE=schmol;937111][QUOTE=Woodywoodduck;936089]Hey imp81318,

t like to shoot at the range but we as members are to restricted in amount of ammo allowed in the firearms at a time and we can ONLY Shoot 5 shots at a time...you have a mag that holds 10+ rounds, FORGET IT, You only better be loading 5 and shooting 5 at a time....to much coddling to the home owners that built thier homes LONG AFTER the Club was built and the Club Officers feel they need to Coddle those home owners instead of standing up for the Clubs Rights!

That would be enough of a deterrent to not even sign up for that club and if I was a member and they threw those rules out, I'd be gone in a day. better to let that club fade away if it can't stand up for the rights of it members. what's next, nothing over .22lr subsonic ammo allowed?
    I sat down back in August and Sent a Letter to the Secretary about some issues....
    Here is the Letter I wrote to Ed...(If anyone on here is a Member at Marysville Sportsmens Club and Feel we Members should NOT have to abide by the limited loaded ammo Rules of the Club, PLEASE Set down and write a letter to them!)

Not trying to high jack this thread but would like for you guys in perry county to see what I wrote up and to understand what is going on!

To: Ed

Ed, I need to ask of your help in getting some information to a Club Meeting.

I am not able at this time to make meetings so I’ll put in what I would like addressed at a meeting and ask you to please relay it at a meeting.

I just sat and read over my last news letter I received a few weeks ago again and need to bring these issues to the attention of the officers and members!

What I would like for the Officers to Address and to please take some sort of action on what has always been printed many times over in each news letter.

Shooting!
    Taken straight from the News Letter
    “25,50,100 &200 yard shooting Ranges- All Members are to be reminded that the association’s by-laws state that “All Shooting Must be conducted from a Designated Firing Points to proper Designated Targets.”

Ok, This Really does need Addressed and looked at for a way to change some things at the 25 yard shooting location ONLY.
    Pistol Shooting. In the Past, I’ll admit, I’m guilty of this and I KNOW a Few Other Members are also Guilty of doing this. There are many members that have taken up Pistol Shooting, be it for Hunting or for Personal/Home Defense!

We wish to practice with our pistols, we need to be able to shoot at a firing point of 5, 10, 15, 20 and then 25 yards, the ONLY Way to do this is to set up at the 25 yard target and pace off or measure off the 5, 10, 15, 20 yards from the target back toward the shooting bench and shoot, which by the By-laws is a violation of which should not be!
    I know a few who are armed guards that need to practice at these distances also and also we have Police Officers that are members that need to practice at these distances…Pistol Shooting can NOT Always be done at just 25 yards!

I have come up with a way for the club to Solve this little “Snaff Foo” of the By-Laws and to make it that we who shoot pistols do not violate the Club’s By-Laws.

At the 25 yard bench or the 25 yard shotgun location, place a target that is not held by 4X4s..make it that there is rebar in the ground at 5, 10, 15, 20 yards(painted Bright Orange so they are seen)(or make the rebar attacked to the bottom of the target holder so it can easily be pushed down into the ground at the 5, 10,15, 20 yard distances. Have the target holder made out of the old style that used to be used at the club, hollow metal tubes that can be easily lifted UP and off the rebar and then moved to 5, 10, 15, 20 and shot at from the bench or the 25 yard shotgun location. This will be very helpful to those of us who wish to be able to shoot our pistols at closer distances then 25 yards and then would not violate the Club‘s By-laws, we would be shooting from the bench location or shotgun location but the target would be at the distances we need that are closer then 25 yards!
    !
    Get the ok and I’ll do the measuring 1 day and put in the rebar or taget, I have plenty of rebar that I can use and the club would not have to pay for it if the ok would be for rebar placed at 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards to place the target holder on.
    Have it that when the shooter is done shooting, the target holder is taken and placed near 1 of the 25 yard shooting stations so that it does not interfere with the 25 yard target!

Second, from the news letter
    “Continuous Rapid Fire Shooting of Firearms”
    This is Always in each News Letter, someone who built a house up on Fanteane’s Field in the New Development, just Complains, Complains, Complains.
    WHEN is the Club going to get an Attorney that has done what the Attorney for Duncannon Sportsmen’s Club did when all the development started around Duncannon’s Club Grounds?
    Duncannon does not Face what Marysville is Facing!
    The Marysville Sportsmen’s Club has sat in the location it is at since when, 1930’s? 1940’s?
    When is the Club going to Act apone our rights as a Club and stop things were it needs stopped?
    Enough is enough!
    When the Building started across the creek in the field, things should have been handled then, not hope that the people who built the house KNEW there was a shooting range right across the creek from them and there would be shooting many times throughout the year!
    I have been told, and I do not know if it is true or just a rumor but what I was told from a few members was that many of the older members who were officers talked with Roger Barrick and asked him to make sure that the people buying land there and building KNEW about the club and shooting…It was said that the Officers then and Roger Barrick did a “Gentlemen’s” Hand Shake and he was to have told those buying and building about the club and shooting.
    We have to remember, the “Gentlemen’s Handshake” Went out the door basically back in the late 1950s to late 1960s!
    We as a club need to hire an attorney and stop the complaints NOW before we loose our club to the Anti Gun Folks that are in Marysville!
    The Club would be Grandfathered in since it was there LONG BEFORE Any of those homes were Built and even thought of being built! If the Marysville Borough Council made some sort of ordinance about shooting in the past years, an Attorney can get things fix that the Club is listed as a Grandfather Clause and remain that way and nothing can be done to the club for rapid shooting!
    The time is now if it has not been started to take action to Stop the members of the Club from having to Bow Down to those who complain!
    The Club was there LONG Before they bought and built their homes! They now need to deal with it!
    The action needs to be taken with an Attorney!

Third, I spoke with you about this 1 day a few years ago while talking to you on the phone.
    The Archery Targets.
    How do we go about making it ok to use a portable climber to shoot from at the targets? Or how do we go about building a shooting platform to shoot from and elevated height?
    I’d like to be able to work on keeping the archery targets useable and see that those who wish to practice can do so either from the ground or from a above shooting station.
    My Dad before he died, took the time to take care of the archery targets, he mowed the grass, fixed up the target hay bale location and a few shot at it, I’d like to be able to use the archery range and also help take care of it.
    How do we go about keeping the archery location up and running and adding to it for height shooting?

I look forward to a reply from you and the officers of the Club.
    What I have addressed in this letter, really does need addressed and fixed, the rapid fire complaints, is 1 that should be first and foremost to be addressed! If not, we may soon see our club go the way of the passenger pigeon! Extinct and only a fishing location along fishing creek!

Thank You

The Officers have Agreed to changing the By-Laws so that those of us who have handguns CAN Shoot from a shorter distance...

BUT, they REFUSE to even attempt to secure an Attorney and STOP the Complaining by the House Owners that are around the club!

I have had a few members ask me to start attending meetins and push to run for President of the Club.. I've told them, I will not do that, Those in Power Now could not handle me being an officer in there for I would NEVER Bow down to those who complain about our Club Members shooting!!

I have also had some members state that they feel the Club is on the Edge of Falling off a Cliff into becoming Nothing but a Fishing Club that Holds Trout Derbies for the kids each summer and stocks the local creek....Thjey see what I have been seeing with this Coddling of the Home Owners that have NOT Been there longer then the Club!

Please, those of you posting in here from Perry County....How about writting a letter of Support for the Members of the Club and showing that the Officers NEED to Take Action for Us Members so we do not loose out Shooting Rights at the Club Grounds?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast