Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AK vs AR

(Bucks County)

Talking AK vs AR

In light of the glock and XD showdown, I thought an AK vs. AR would only be fitting
    Lets keep it real and keep it professional.

As for me.....I feel the ak is a rugged weapon that can show the test of time and still come out kicking, the ammo is still reasonably cheap (even cheaper than firing my .45 acp), the round is a good size, there alot of mods, and it is still fairly accurate
    as for the cons, im sure AR fans can fill in the blanks there .....

As for the AR, well what can I say it is one sweet machine! From the way it looks to the way it performs. but the .223 is not that big of a round, and it is a bit higher maintenance.
    Oh well! Have fun with the thread!
    Drak
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bucks County)

having both I do not think this is a apples to apples comparision.

Get Both

(Northumberland County)

To compare them is something like this, the M16 is a rifle that was made into a machine gun, the AK is machine gun turned rifle...

The civillian versions show their origins as well as their philosophies. Under the Soviet system, simple and functional was preferred. Which translates to lower manufacturing costs and loose tolerances for both ease of assembly by state slaves er, workers. And to its reliability because of loose tolerances. This however adversely affects accuracy...

The AR on the other hand is all about precision... it is a fine rifle built by fine companies and as a consequence is much more expensive... The operating system did have some problems with reliability initially, but that was solved with the proper ammo. The precision thing also helps the AR platform become much more accurate along with the flat shooting 5.56 cartridge.

Apples to oranges, depends on what you want and how much money you have to spend...

(Montgomery County)

first let me point out that this thread is going to be a mess, the AK AR debate, 223 vs 308, the 9mm vs 45 debate, blah blah blah

I own multiple versions of AKs in several calibers, 7.62x39, .223, and 5.45
    I own an M16, and multiple AR15s, with tjhe exception of a few 9mm uppers, all are in 223.

the AR design has flaws of course, its maintenance intensive, and is too closely machined for a true combat rifle, in my opinion. This is a case where America made something TOO well, thus its sensitive to fouling and debris in its works.
    However, its a fantatstic piece of equipment, and performs well in adverse conditions if adequately maintained.
    its highly accurate, lightweight, low recoil, highly ergonomic, and easy to use.
    The round is light, and in its original design and speed(55gr ammo, 3kfps, 20" barrel), performs great as a combat round against humans, as designed, not necessarily against harder targets, as not designed.

the AK is another brilliant weapon design. Its fairly ergonomic, is easy to use, (good that, since it was made to be used by unlearned and ignorant conscript soldiers), has poorer manufacturing tolerances, which is the primary reason for its reliability. The loosely fitted parts means it takes more debris and fouling to cause a failure.
    It has a hard hitting round, similar to a 30-30 in ballistic power,has a shorter accurate range on human targets, and increased penetration on harder targets due to the bullet weight(and design, a lot of the military ammo is mild steel core), however, it also has a much higher recoil, that leads to slower aimed fire.
    It has a better gas system of course, however, its nowhere near as accurate in its common form as the m16, due not only to its coarse sights, but also the loose chamber made to take a broader military spec for 7.62x39, thus not all ammo is the same, thus the accuracy suffers.

overall, BOTH rifles have serious inadequacies that make them unfit for some duties, I myself do not have a favorite, but, with the many years of experience as I have in the AR15 system, I not only trust it with my life, but I'd take my M16 over an AK any day

further, all this 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC, etc etc...these cartridges are just trying to duplicate the 7.62x39 in ballistic power, yet still give the accuracy that American weapons are known for, without admitting that in close combat, in urban situations, the AK round is a superior cartridge.

frankly, I prefer a 308:-)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Montgomery County)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by The Drew View Post
    To compare them is something like this, the M16 is a rifle that was made into a machine gun, the AK is machine gun turned rifle...

Eugene Stoner designed the AR15 as select fire machine gun from its initial stages, so its actually a machinegun that was turned into a rifle
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bucks County)

The other apples and oranges part is: if you buy a Colt AR15, you're getting a gun made from the same factory as the mil version. When you buy an AK in this country, you're NOT getting a real AK. You're getting AK barrel and furniture on a domestic-made clone receiver.

(Beaver County)

I've owned four AR-15's and I have a little experience with the A1 version of the M-16. I owned one of the Maadi AK's, which I sold off, and recently purchased a Yugo underfolder. No experience with a true military-issue AK.

For my purposes, which means shooting various inanimate objects that don't shoot back, the AR is the superior platform. It's more accurate and has less recoil which translates into more fun.

(Bucks County)

i seemed to have posted twice by accident, ignore this post <-------

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    For my purposes, which means shooting various inanimate objects that don't shoot back, the AR is the superior platform. It's more accurate and has less recoil which translates into more fun.

for me recoil is just as much a part of the fun in shooting. the 7.62 round is not have a severe recoil, but it does give a good kick and the round is a great size. i have fired the .223 round and i am not impressed with its power, i agree it can be acurate over great distances, but to me it feels like a pee-shooter no offense, its just my preference.
    Drak[/QUOTE]

(Philadelphia County)

You know Drak has gone insane when he is quoting himself and answering to something he already wrote on the original post.

I think that fugly, fugly AK you bought is having an adverse effect on your psyche.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; September 15th, 2006 at 10:27 AM. Reason: YAAAAY! Post #200!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast