Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can someone explain a 1-7 twist barrel please?(ar-15 .223)

Can someone explain what the hell this is for, I've been doing a lot of bullet research, manufacturing recommendations, mathematical equations and nothing warrants a 1-7 twist barrel. At most a 1-8. I think a 1-7 would be for a 80+ grain bullet...which from reloading experience is too damn long for a AR 15 with a magazine.

input?
    Last edited by Franky4Fingers; June 22nd, 2011 at 08:44 PM.
    [account deactivated]

(York County)

Default Re: Can someone explain a 1-7 twist barrel please?(ar-15 .223)

I have 1-7 in an lmt upper and it shoots 62 grain rounds really well, the lower twist will shoot a heavier grain bullet and I think lately many uppers are made in 1-7 twist...I love mine.

(Chester County)

There's much on the web about this. 1:7 is supposed to be better for stabilizing heavy bullets. 1:9 stabilizes 55 gr and 62 gr bullets fine. 1:7 for greater than 70 gr bullets that long range match shooters use.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky4Fingers View Post
    Can someone explain what the hell this is for, I've been doing a lot of bullet research, manufacturing recommendations, mathematical equations and nothing warrants a 1-7 twist barrel. At most a 1-8. I think a 1-7 would be for a 80+ grain bullet...which from reloading experience is too damn long for a AR 15 with a magazine.

input?
    I do not disagree with you sir. I will not go into all of the logarithms, trigonometry, geometry, and algebraic equations that are involved in what you are asking, but simply say that my 1 in 9 twist barrel will put 72 gr. bullets in a one inch hole at 200 yards off of a rest. I think that the bullets are being stabilized. Never have I seen an oblong bullet hole in a target. I can't do tons of equations, but I can experiment with different weight bullets out of the same barrel and can say that from 55 to 72 gr, I do not see any difference in accuracy out to 200yds. That is good enough for me. I can see where a heavy bullet like an 80 grain would need to spin a little faster to go straight, but like you said, too, the bullet would start to get too long. I know guys at my range that shoot tons of 55gr out of a 1 in 7 barrel and never have problems. I believe certain types of fragmenting bullets may need to be more matched to a specific twist rate, but for general purpose bullets, I do not see hardly any difference in performance, and I am no guru, but I try to observe this as much as possible, with cold, warm, and hot barrels. I am not convinced, myself. Good question that I wish could answer better or had the knowledge to answer better.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

The short answer is that the 1 in 7 twist is the Military Specification. Why? I don't know. It could have just as easily been a 1 in 8.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Erie County)

Smile Re: Can someone explain a 1-7 twist barrel please?(ar-15 .223)

I dont know if this is what you are asking but 1in7 refers to to the rifling making one full twist in 7 inches.

(Westmoreland County)

Your exactly spot on a 1:7 is more than needed in most situations and bullets fired most 1:9 will be fine with a 69 and even a 75/77 gr. Same situation occurs with most 30 cal rifles being made these days with a 1:10 twist who the heck is still shooting a 220 gr. RN bullet these days ? a 1:14 is fine for a 168 1:12 for the 175, if these fast twist rates are so great why are the BR guys using a slow as possible twist they can get away with! Why because thats where the accuracy is.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Your exactly spot on a 1:7 is more than needed in most situations and bullets fired most 1:9 will be fine with a 69 and even a 75/77 gr. Same situation occurs with most 30 cal rifles being made these days with a 1:10 twist who the heck is still shooting a 220 gr. RN bullet these days ? a 1:14 is fine for a 168 1:12 for the 175, if these fast twist rates are so great why are the BR guys using a slow as possible twist they can get away with! Why because thats where the accuracy is.
    Velocity and bullet length are the factors. The faster the twist, the more torque on the barrel and receiver. Faster twists also cause more resistance and friction.

With the longer barrels that bench rest folks use they can gain a few extra hundred feet per second. That added velocity means they may not need a faster twist with the same length of bullet shooting from a shorter barrel at lower velocities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Velocity and bullet length are the factors. The faster the twist, the more torque on the barrel and receiver. Faster twists also cause more resistance and friction.

With the longer barrels that bench rest folks use they can gain a few extra hundred feet per second. That added velocity means they may not need a faster twist with the same length of bullet shooting from a shorter barrel at lower velocities.
    That's pretty much it-
    The tighter 1-7 twist is needed to stabilize LONGER, not heavier bullets. The military went to 1-7 to stabilize the longer nato tracer ammunition.

All things being equal, the tighter twist barrels do not appear to last as long as the slower twist barrels.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

My SAM-R has a 1-8. My Noveske has a 1-7. My 700 SPS has a 1-9. I'm happy with all of them. They all shoot well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast