Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Carry in a Hospital?

I drive to Presbyterian Hospital in Philly once every 2 months for a 4 hour infusion. And I have filed for my LTCF.

At EVERY infusion I have fallen asleep. Something about the smell of hospital disinfectant, fluorescent lamps, and too much time in hospitals has made it impossible for me to stay awake for 5 hours in a hospital. Part of that is that the infusion makes you a little "woozy", and sleeping is the best way past it.

This makes me reluctant to carry with me. Then again, I don't like the idea of getting a flat on the side of '95 in some of the area it passes through.

Ideas and thoughts?

(also, my car is a wagon, so bolting a lockbox down would be a little more of a pain than a sedan with a closed trunk - tho I guess it could be under the passenger seat.)

Thanks,

-MT

(feel free to move the post to the Q/A forum, I was torn on where to put it)

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Carry in a Hospital?

I work in healthcare and my experience has been most Hospitals are very much so anti-gun/no guns on hospital property. Especially so for employees but in a general sense also. A few of the rougher places I worked at had gang members come into the ER to "finish the job" so you understand a bit where they are coming from.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

I would have to say that since you will be asleep during this process, I would advise not to carry. I dont like the idea of knowing theres a chance someone may find it and get ahold of it while sleeping. I would find a way to keep it in the vehicle while in the hospital for the ride there.

(Chester County)

Holleta

(Luzerne County)
    'grats on your 500th post.

Quote Originally Posted by lvfcfirefighter View Post
    I would have to say that since you will be asleep during this process, I would advise not to carry. I dont like the idea of knowing theres a chance someone may find it and get ahold of it while sleeping. I would find a way to keep it in the vehicle while in the hospital for the ride there.
    Yeah, I guess I should just find a way to lock it up. And I don't trust the lock on my glove compartment, as that's a place people look in when carhopping.
    Last edited by MTechnik; July 10th, 2007 at 08:25 PM. Reason: fix quote order

(Delaware County)

Do you change to a gown or get the procedure in your street clothes? If a gown, then I agree that the gun should stay in the car. If in your street clothes, how soundly do you sleep? I can't picture someone searching your person while you are asleep on the table, but if they did, wouldn't you wake up? In the very unlikely scenario that you do wake up and the gun is gone, call the police and report it right there. I'll bet "I fell asleep on this table with a gun in my waistband and woke up without it." would get attention from the police, AND the hospital administration.

As for the hospital being anti gun, who cares what they think? I rarely consider the political opinions of those I contract to render a service.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Do you change to a gown or get the procedure in your street clothes? If a gown, then I agree that the gun should stay in the car. If in your street clothes, how soundly do you sleep? I can't picture someone searching your person while you are asleep on the table, but if they did, wouldn't you wake up? In the very unlikely scenario that you do wake up and the gun is gone, call the police and report it right there. I'll bet "I fell asleep on this table with a gun in my waistband and woke up without it." would get attention from the police, AND the hospital administration.

As for the hospital being anti gun, who cares what they think? I rarely consider the political opinions of those I contract to render a service.

Im not going to lie, Im new to the whole gun thing but, I would be pretty pissed off and scared if someone got my gun while sleeping. And you are correct, you would get attention from the hospital and police if you woke up with a gun missing. I'm not sure I'd want that attention though.

I do agree, I also do not consider political opinions of those rendering services but this isnt about their beliefs. This is about SAFETY!!! How would you feel if someone got your gun while you were sleeping and killed someone in the hospital with your gun?
    Last edited by lvfcfirefighter; July 10th, 2007 at 08:53 PM.

(Allegheny County)

under your car seat there should be some little bars that go across the bottom of the seat to support the foam or springs. Put it up under there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post

It's in the oncology ward there. All vinyl covered la-z-boy kinda chairs, and yes in street clothes. And I don't sleep THAT deeply. I decline their offer for benadryl, as then I'd barely be able to find my car when they woke me.

The thought of it kinda makes me nervous, napping with a firearm in a public place.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't think anyone is going to be able to get at it without waking you up.

(Chester County)

I've had some talks with my local hospital's security director about guns... he seems to be relatively pro-gun, but my understanding from him is that too many of the hospital staff panic when they see a gun. He doesn't seem to have a real problem with people carrying concealed in the hospital... as long as NO ONE KNOWS about it... if it becomes an issue, he has a headache.

I'm not sure leaving it in the car is a good option, either... I'd say carry in a way that makes the gun hard for someone else to get at, and hard for it to show accidently... or secure the gun, in a lock-box, to a strong part of your car (as said, the underseat brackets are somewhat firm).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast