Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Snub Nose Revolvers

Why switch to another revolver when a gunsmith can bob your hammer for less then 50 bucks???
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Check out the light weight Taurus snubbies too. I carried a Multi-Alloy (aluminum frame, titanium cylinder/barrel shroud) Model 85 for ten years.I still carry it occasionally. I bought a titanium Model 851 (Taurus) a couple years ago. This one is all titanium and has a shrouded hammer (easier to draw and less wear (from an exposed hammer which the 85 had) on the clothing). The only reason I bought the 851 was for the shrouded hammer.

These are really nice guns, every bit as nice as S&W's. Taurus used to have a poor reputation for reliability. The 85 (and it's progeny) never suffered from that reputation. Now, if you do a search on PAFOA, THR and others, you'll read about S&W's quality problems.

Both the guns I wrote about are 15 oz or less (unloaded) and make fine pocket carry handguns.

BTW, I would really like to check out that LCR...the only reason I don't is I have those two fine little guns now.
    I concur with your statement .
    Last edited by rotten97; October 27th, 2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: word

(Chester County)

Thanks for all the replies. I'm gunna head to a gun shop/range and try out the LCR vs the x42

The LCR gets raves reviews but the S&Ws have been around forever. Saying that though, my SR-9 is a new design and is a fantastic gun.

I'll have to try them both out. They both come with Crimson grips too which is the add-on I most want - every bit helps in a defensive shoot moment!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I favor small sized revolvers (like the J frame) myself and perhaps I can help you with a few of your questions.

With Smith and Wesson Revolvers the first number of the model number designates what material the frame is made out of.
    3 = lightweight Scandium alloy
    4 = lightweight aluminum in black
    5 = carbon steel blued
    6 = stainless (or aluminum and stainless, varies)

For example the 642 has a stainless cylinder, aluminum frame and is of a silver color. BTW, I highly recommend the Smith 642 as it is my personal favorite deep concealment revolver.

If I did not address a question, let me know.
    What is the difference between the x42 and x38?

Do s&w j-frames come in ;

1. can't see the hammer - DAO
    2. shrouded hammer - DA/SA
    3. see the hammer - DA/SA
    Last edited by buster2209; October 16th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    What is the difference between the x42 and x38?

Do s&w j-frames come in ;

1. can't see the hammer - DAO
    2. shrouded hammer - DA/SA
    3. see the hammer - DA/SA
    The 638 looks like this:

The x38 has a shrouded hammer, yet the hammer is still able to be cocked for a single action shot.

The 642 looks like this:

The x42 has a fully enclosed hammer and is DAO.

The 637 looks like this:

The x37 has a fully exposed hammer and can be cocked for single action shooting.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Understand the physics of your firearm. The lighter the weapon, the more you must practice and focus on returning to target.

Related to the above, try the grips for fit. Some grips only allow you to grab your first 3 fingers.

I really like my .38 snubby, BTW.

(Chester County)

Steve_NEPhila, thanks for the info (and pics) of the different types of j-frames.

Rep sent

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karl der Grosse View Post
    Understand the physics of your firearm. The lighter the weapon, the more you must practice and focus on returning to target.

Related to the above, try the grips for fit. Some grips only allow you to grab your first 3 fingers.
    I'm ex-army so I understand the physics very well but I am new to America and come from England, where private gun ownership has been banned since 1997, so I don't know about the nuances between models yet.

Please don't confuse my lack of knowledge of makes and models for lack of knowledge about firearms.

(Bucks County)

Hey Buster, where in Levittown are you? I'm right up the road in Yardley. We are both the same age also. I carry a S&W 637 when I can and it fits perfect in the front pocket of a pair of shorts. I carry it in a nemesis holster to protect the trigger. No one can tell you have it on you. I'm now carrying it in an ankle holster out of nessecity. Great gun. If you want to try some guns out, head up to classic pistol in southampton, I'm sure they have what you need and can try it. PM me if anything.

Dan

(Montgomery County)

FWIW - my wife has been interested in a small revolver to carry. We both fired the lightweight S&W J Frames at our local shope (French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville). The first time I fired the scandium J Frame I emptied the cylinder rapid fire to see what it would feel like.

Very unpleasant. Hard to imagine I'd want to shoot it enough to get / stay proficient.

FCO also had the Ruger which my wife had expressed interest in. It is much softer shooting, (to me anyway) probably due to the flex inherent in the plymer frame and the Hogue Recoil Tamer grips it is supplied with. I did like the trigger, which is smooth and feels much lighter than its published weight, probably due to the cam design.

Remember, snubbies have their limitations. They are intended for use at close range. (Arms length to perhaps 10 feet.) Their sights are limited and consistency at 10-15 yards will take some skill building.

YMMV of course.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast