Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Snub Nose Revolvers

Allglock is selling a 442 here on our forum:

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/73...-lock-nib.html
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by buster2209 View Post
    I know this has been probably been hashed out a couple million times, but I am interested in people's opinions and experiences.

I will be eligible for a LCTC permit in a couple of months and have been looking at possible concealed carry guns.

I own a Ruger SR-9 but it's too heavy and big, especially in the summertime when I wear shorts and t-shirts.

I have narrowed my choice down too a snub nose revolver as opposed to a semi-auto as no semi-auto is 100% free of jamming whereas revolvers are. I want something as 100% reliable as possible + revolvers have a lot less moving parts, safety devices, you don't have to worry about chambering a round, etc, etc. These are things I don't want to have to deal with if I have to use it or everytime I make the weapon safe.

To that end, the logical choice seems to be a s&w j-frame or a Ruger LCR.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between all the j-frames?
    360, 337, 342, 640, etc.

Is the LCR any good?

I have had a look around the net wanting to know the opinion of the LCR vs a j-frame but there doesn't seem much too cut it except that the LCR is newer so hasn't really been tested yet.

Any ideas and (especially) experiences will be helpful!!
    I only carry autos, and for one reason. Revolvers DO jam, and usually at a really bad time. Don't let anybody tell you they don't jam. It only takes a little bit of pocket lint to RUIN your day. In my case it was a small piece of web gear 'rope'. I swore I would never again trust my life to a revolver. An auto, in the same instance, I would have been able to clear. That revolver was nothing but added weight from the time it jammed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Allglock is selling a 442 here on our forum:
    Here's one for $432 delivered.

You liked the LCR better?
    Yes. And as noted elsewhere here, the trigger on the LCR is very good.

(Berks County)

A lot of people will bash the snubbies for many reasons. I used to be one of them. As of now thats all I carry. I've fixed all the reasons why I didnt like them. For example, I couldnt hit shit with them. So i practiced and practiced and practiced. Now I can shoot 15 yards rapid fire all into a head size target everytime with either hand. Why either hand??? Cuz I carry two snubbies, one in each pocket. Why??? Solves the low capacity problem and the reloading problem. Also to boot I shoot all my other guns better because I have mastered the snubbie!!!! Just wanted to throw something positive out for the snubbies for you to think about.

I carry an SR-9 concealed with shorts and T-shirts all the time. In fact 90% of my wardrobe is T-shirts. I generally have no problems concealing when worn at about 2:30. At 3:00 the grip does stick out a little, depending on where I wear my pants.

I will say a GOOD belt will make a huge difference.

As far as a revolver, I have no first hand advice, but I think the LCR is butt-ugly. While that has no bearing on its performance, I have held and fired a J-Frame S&W in .357. Its a handful with full power .357 ammo. But given the choice between stinging hands and serious bodily damage, I'll take the stinging palms every time.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Jefferson County)

I carry a S&W 640 every day. It's a .357mag that fits in my pocket (with a holster, of course). I have spent a lot of time practicing with it to become a good shot with it. Luckily, the triggers on S&W revolvers are pretty outstanding. It has quite a bit of recoil, but it's a heavier J-frame being all stainless. I didn't really want to shoot a .357 with an aluminum frame, as I've heard there can be problems with extended use--plus the extra weight of the stainless frame helps manage recoil.

If you do go with a .357 magnum, I recommend practicing with .38 special for a while until you get proficient, then move up to the higher power ammo. It will be a lot less expensive to practice, and be easier to get the feel of the gun with the lighter loads.

The only thing about my revolver I don't like is that it only carries 5 shots. But it is a relatively short range weapon, and those 5 rounds are .357 magnum... and I typically have a Ruger LCP as a backup gun on my ankle.

(Montgomery County)

Speaking of the LCR, why the heck didn't Ruger just make an SP-101 with an aluminum frame??? Methinks they wanted to put Polymer into something to create "buzz."
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

Check out the light weight Taurus snubbies too. I carried a Multi-Alloy (aluminum frame, titanium cylinder/barrel shroud) Model 85 for ten years.I still carry it occasionally. I bought a titanium Model 851 (Taurus) a couple years ago. This one is all titanium and has a shrouded hammer (easier to draw and less wear (from an exposed hammer which the 85 had) on the clothing). The only reason I bought the 851 was for the shrouded hammer.

These are really nice guns, every bit as nice as S&W's. Taurus used to have a poor reputation for reliability. The 85 (and it's progeny) never suffered from that reputation. Now, if you do a search on PAFOA, THR and others, you'll read about S&W's quality problems.

Both the guns I wrote about are 15 oz or less (unloaded) and make fine pocket carry handguns.

BTW, I would really like to check out that LCR...the only reason I don't is I have those two fine little guns now.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; October 14th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: Snub Nose Revolvers

I know this has been probably been hashed out a couple million times, but I am interested in people's opinions and experiences.

I will be eligible for a LCTC permit in a couple of months and have been looking at possible concealed carry guns.

I own a Ruger SR-9 but it's too heavy and big, especially in the summertime when I wear shorts and t-shirts.

I have narrowed my choice down too a snub nose revolver as opposed to a semi-auto as no semi-auto is 100% free of jamming whereas revolvers are. I want something as 100% reliable as possible + revolvers have a lot less moving parts, safety devices, you don't have to worry about chambering a round, etc, etc. These are things I don't want to have to deal with if I have to use it or everytime I make the weapon safe.

To that end, the logical choice seems to be a s&w j-frame or a Ruger LCR.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between all the j-frames?
    360, 337, 342, 640, etc.

Is the LCR any good?

I have had a look around the net wanting to know the opinion of the LCR vs a j-frame but there doesn't seem much too cut it except that the LCR is newer so hasn't really been tested yet.

Any ideas and (especially) experiences will be helpful!!
    I would go with a S&W J-frame over all other snubnose revolvers... I carry a S&W 37-2 everywhere I go.

ETA: I'm thinking about switching to a hammerless S&W, because the hammer on my 37-2 keeps getting caught on my jacket. Just something to remember.
    Last edited by MEH; October 14th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast