Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Rifle Cleaning Procedure

Sorry for the DUMB question, but what is the proper way to clean a rifle?
    All my rifles (except the 22 can be cleaned from the chamber end). So, I'm guessing that I should use a chamber rod guide. Start w/ a wet patch, send it down, follow w/ brush. Send brush all the way thru (exits muzzle end) before pulling back out. Brush ten times or so. Send dry patch thru. Send we clean patch thru. If clean send dry patch thru. If dirty, back the the brush. Repeat until patch comes out clean. Is this correct?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rifle Cleaning Procedure

There's many many web articles about cleaning, written by people smarter than me. Here's my $.02:

Clean from breech end if the rifle's design will allow (bolt action) Else, buy a muzzle-mounting cleaning rod bore guide. I got a Tipton carbon fiber rod to lessen the wear & tear whilst cleaning.

I do: soaking wet patch of Hoppes #9, wait 10 minutes (to let Hoppes loosen gunk), new wet patch, then right away a few drops onto brush then in-out only 4 or 5 X, new wet patch, right away another new wet patch, wait 10 minutes (for Cu removal), new wet patch (should have blue on it this time), dry patch, dry patch, dry patch (should have practically no dirt on it now) Soak one last patch-this time with CLP-and push it through to coat barrel for storage up to a month.

The easiest way to ruin the accuracy of a rifle is improper cleaning. Even a minuscule scratch in the rifling at the muzzle or chamber end of the barrel will screw it up.

As stated above, use a bore guide & a good cleaning rod, (I use one piece rods available from Midway, etc.) The aluminum screw together rods that come with generic cleaning kits aren't a good choice. The bore guide keeps the rod centered when entering the bore, & keeps the rod & brush/jag fittings from damaging the rifling.

Everything else you're doing sounds about right. Repeat as necessary.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northampton County)

For my .22's, I tend to use a bore snake. Actually, I have 2. one that I put the solvent on and one that I put Rem-oil on.

I use break-free on the first snake, then I send it down with a clean patch wrapped around the brass bristles.

Once the bore is clean, I run the snake with REM-oil through it last to give the barrel a light coating.

YMMV.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Chester County)

I thought some more about your question. Perhaps a good response might be "What cleaning procedure, if I saw someone doing it, would I say 'Stop that!' "

That would be watching someone go in from the muzzle end on a bolt-action rifle (no excuse) using a 3-piece screw-together steel rod, without a bore guide, nailing the edge of the crown with the rod on each stroke, and running the brush back & forth violently fifty times, and dipping the dirty brush into the bottle of Hoppes.

For my semi-auto & lever .22s I love the boresnake. I even hand wash the snake with dishwashing detergent after every 3 or 4 rifle cleanings. Get it wet, squirt dishwashing soap on it, ball it up in your hand and squeeze til it suds up. Rinse/squeeze and watch the blackened water come out (beware of squeezing the copper barbs into your hand).

(Somerset County)

When I clean (I don't clean every time I shoot) I pretty much do the same as everyone has already listed. I use Shooters Choice instead of Hoppes and usually run 3 wet patches then the brush then 2 wet then dry. Repeat if neccessary. Do not leave the Shooters in the bore overnight but a few minutes is OK. I use Hoppes or one of the foaming bore cleaners if I feel the need for overnight.

Dale

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    I thought some more about your question. Perhaps a good response might be "What cleaning procedure, if I saw someone doing it, would I say 'Stop that!' "

That would be watching someone go in from the muzzle end on a bolt-action rifle (no excuse) using a 3-piece screw-together steel rod, without a bore guide, nailing the edge of the crown with the rod on each stroke, and running the brush back & forth violently fifty times, and dipping the dirty brush into the bottle of Hoppes.
    That's funny!!! I read it when you first posted but must not have appreciated the humor at the time.
    Last edited by MMH; November 19th, 2009 at 09:10 PM.