Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Talking My quest for a new sidearm

I have been scrimping and saving for some time now and am at the point where I can start narrowing the field of my next purchase. I own three 1911 type pistols at this time a Para single stack signal action 5", Smith & Wesson 5" with accessory rail, and a Kimber Pro CDP. I want to get something a little higher end and was thinking Wilson or Springfield Armory from the custom shop. I like the Professional with accessory rail from Springfield but was wondering about price and quality. Has anybody have any experience with ether of these or any other suggestions.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: My quest for a new sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I have been scrimping and saving for some time now and am at the point where I can start narrowing the field of my next purchase. I own three 1911 type pistols at this time a Para single stack signal action 5", Smith & Wesson 5" with accessory rail, and a Kimber Pro CDP. I want to get something a little higher end and was thinking Wilson or Springfield Armory from the custom shop. I like the Professional with accessory rail from Springfield but was wondering about price and quality. Has anybody have any experience with ether of these or any other suggestions.
    If your current guns shoot tight and run all the time......what does higher end mean?

How about a full custom from George at EGW or Gary at Gans Guns? Both are local and will be superior to your options.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

You could start with an entry level model and customize the whole thing...do a build up from the ground up.

You can take a basic model and get a sweet, custom, unique gun out of it if you're looking to spend $1500 plus.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: My quest for a new sidearm

My current guns function 100% so far and do shoot straight but the para's finish could be better the cdp is I believe 5 years old now and just was looking for something high quality. For George or Gary would I need to supply them a pistol?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    My current guns function 100% so far and do shoot straight but the para's finish could be better the cdp is I believe 5 years old now and just was looking for something high quality. For George or Gary would I need to supply them a pistol?
    EGW will build you one on your frame.

http://www.egw-guns.com/

Gans will want the parts, but will help you picking them out anyhow.

http://www.gansguns.com/

If you have questions, please call them. I've spoken to them both and they will talk to you personally and build to suit. They both also answer e mails.

I've shot the Gans guns and EGW cut my slide on my STI Edge. I really like both those shops and the guns are superior to the general semi customs for about the same price.

If you find anyting with fiber-optic sites this bright, let me know..

(Lawrence County)

Fiber optics sights vary depending on three factors. Size and length of the fiber/dot, quality of fiber and access to light.

Red and greens are brightest with yellow and orange a bit more subdued.

I prefer a small, but bright dot, so I shroom up the end of the fiber to suit my tastes...but no wider than my front sight.

I never pay money to gunshops who radically mark up fiber rod. I go here:

http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Flourescent.htm

Lycanglowthrope

(Lehigh County)

I am actually looking into getting a 1911.

I was looking at the 1911's at the Springfield Armory.

I am actually looking at the Mil Spec series. They look good and can probably customize the crap out of them.

Take at look at their collection, they have a good selection.

Can anybody tell me about their 1911's (Springfield Armory in specific) and their experience with them?

They have been recommended to me by several people.

Everyone's opinions are wlecome....

(Lawrence County)

They are good guns with the Mil Spec being reliable, but fitted a bit looser than usual Springers.

Unless, you are going for nostalgia, I don't recommend they Mil Spec as it is a bit too basic. The sights are poor and it's not always a simple drop in to change the grip safety to a high ride after you get some "hammer bite" from the Mil Spec's spurred hammer.

Lycanbetterstartergunsthrope

(Lehigh County)

Well,

I am looking for something reliable and some that i'm not gonna pay an arm and a leg for (even though I wish I could)...

I was also looking at the GI .45's

What are people's recommendations for a 1911 that is good for ccw, self defense, reliable and won't break my pocket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast