Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default New to Monroe/Wayne

Hi all. I just bought 8.72 acres on Rt 196. About 75% of the property is in Monroe and the other 25% is in Wayne. I lived all my life in NYC and this past summer I bought some pre 1900 pistols and a 9mm rifle in NC and decided I really liked recreational shooting. The plan was I was going to legally keep the firearms in upstate NY until I got the required legal permits and licensing for NYC. When I discovered the amount of red tap and expense I would have to go through to enjoy my 2nd amendment right, I decided I needed a new home. I was in the market to buy a house anyway and decided NYC did not deserve my money. I decided to put it into PA instead which is more gun friendly. I spent all day yesterday at my property shooting at targets like a "free citizen". I am very happy to be here. It was awesome that soon after I started shooting, my neighbors around me started shooting. I could not see them, but I felt like I was being welcomed... unless I'm naive and they were shooting at me :P

Please feel free to give me any tips or things I should know relative to this area.

Note: I am posting in both Monroe and Wayne area since my property covers both areas.
    Last edited by tsafa; October 11th, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New to Monroe/Wayne

Welcome
    Always Carry, Never Tell

(Monroe County)

Welcome! Area is still pretty good, you'll find the folks around here are alot like those in upstate ny. However a criminal element from ny/nj does exist and is growing exponentially. I recommend obtaining your LTCF asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Luzerne County)

Did you make sure you could legally fire your weapons on the property before you bought it?

Just because you own the property, doesn't mean you can recreationally shoot on it. Many cities, towns, boroughs and townships have laws against the discharge of a weapon unless its for self-defense or hunting.

Just pointing this out to avoid any potential interactions with the police.

The same goes for your neighbors. I don't know the laws in your neck of the woods so you and all your neighbors may be 100% legal, but you might want to check anyway.......and not rely on the fact that, "well....they were doing it, so I did it."

(Monroe County)

AFAIK Monroe country you can shoot on your property as much as you want.

That's what the cops have told me in two seperate encounters.

As long as you're not in close quarters and disturbing other people at unreasonable hours you're good to go.

It appears this guy has a ton of property so I'm sure he'll be fine.
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    AFAIK Monroe country you can shoot on your property as much as you want.

That's what the cops have told me in two seperate encounters.

As long as you're not in close quarters and disturbing other people at unreasonable hours you're good to go.

It appears this guy has a ton of property so I'm sure he'll be fine.
    Wouldn't that be a town law and not a county law? I am in Stroud Twp but have never inquired about it. I would also have to think that you would need a little property to shoot on also. Do you know of a minimum property size to shoot in in Monroe County?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Wouldn't that be a town law and not a county law? I am in Stroud Twp but have never inquired about it. I would also have to think that you would need a little property to shoot on also. Do you know of a minimum property size to shoot in in Monroe County?
    Sure, but there arent many towns the size of stroudsburg/east stroudsburg in monroe county, they are in fact the biggest. I am sure there is a no discharging firearms ordinance in strouds/east stroud but the majority of monroe county is rural and afaik not under any ordinances. If they are, I don't think it's enforced. You cant expect state troopers to know every townships ordinances and enforce them. I've been all over the county and people are shooting their guns day and night.

(Monroe County)

wooo hooo! another transplant from NY. You'll fit in great where you are... everyone around you is from NY too.

Shooting on your own property will most likely depend on your neighbors and also how much of a backstop you have
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

I explained to my R/E agent that the most important thing was that I be able to legally shoot on my property. He looked into that for me. I am in an isolated area. I also now have an 8 foot high backstop from all the trees they cut and piled up to make room for the house. I spoke with my neighbor, he seems ok as long as I am shooting in a safe direction. I other neighbors shooting too, so I don't think I will have a problem.

Can you guys give me any tips on obtaining a concealed carry license in this area. Can I get one with just the deed to the property or do I have to wait till the house is built and I have a utility-bill. I get the impression from reading some posts in the Carry area that the first thing I need is a PA drivers license. Not sure how to prove residency before I get my electric installed and I get a bill other then the deed to the property.

Thanks for the welcome too.
    Last edited by tsafa; October 11th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.

(Monroe County)

Indeed you need to be a resident of your county for atleast 60 days.

So if you don't have a house built, you can't be living here.

Unless you have proof you've spent the last 2 months living in a local hotel or had all necessary papers forwarded to a friends house you're staying at.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast