Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Anyone going out for duck tomorrow a.m. (10/10/09)?

I've got my dry-bag packed, the kayak is tied on top of the jeep and my new Stoeger side x side 12 guage is sitting by the door whimpering to go outside!

I was kicking myself in the butt all season about not practicing w/ the bow enough so I benched myself this archery season. Ends up, I always say I want to get back into duck hunting more than I normally do. This year I actually get to do it. For some reason, although I enjoy waterfowl hunting more than anything else, I always focus on big game more.

I almost feel bad for all the poor suckers who aren't going to be sitting in the rain with me at O-dark-thirty tomorrow.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Anyone going out for duck tomorrow a.m. (10/10/09)?

I'll be out sometime in the AM...not getting all excited.. my 2 buddies that normally hunt ducks with me have some things they have to do tomorrow and can not make it out...

I'm just going to take the dog for a walk about 1.5 miles from the parking lot along a very well known creek but always over looked by the other local waterfowl hunters and see if I can fill my bag with a limit of woodies!

Good Luck, Be Safe and hope you fill your bag to your liking!

(Perry County)

My work schedule won't let me get out until next Friday morning but I'll be out then and Saturday. Just wait till late season we'll be out in force then.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

Good luck guys! We come in Halloween morning here in central Illinois. We're geting a bit nervous cause we've already seen a decent push come through.

(Wayne County)

Well, except for not having had even one shot today, it was a pretty cool day!

It started out at 0530 with me following a porcupine for about 200+ feet down the middle of the road. Little bugger just wouldn't move. So I crawled along after him until he decided he wanted to go somewhere else.

Next, I paddled the kayak out, set my dekes and hunkered down in the brush surrounding a small island in the middle of Gouldsboro Lake. Well, my choice of hunker down spots apparently pissed off a beaver. This goofy bastard swam back an forth in a line about 50 yards long, about 25 yards out from me tail slapping the water every 2 to 3 minutes! He kept this up for an hour! I must have been sitting right where he wanted to haul out on the island to munch on aspens or birch. Persistant little cuss.

I went back out this afternoon/evening. Wasn't sitting for 20 minutes before I heard a noise like none I've heard before. Ends up it was 2 ravens playing grab-ass with one another. Not fighting, just playing.

And lastly, I heard some small critter rustling in the bushes behind me. I figure its a mouse or shrew or similar. I turn slowly and wait to see what it is. I see an eyeball and some gray/brown fur. I'm thinking "squirrel." Nope. I'll be damned! Not 4 foot away from me was an ermine! I got to watch him for almost 10 seconds. Pretty little guy, too. Brown fur. Black tail. I think that's only the third one I've ever seen.

Not a bad day considering that after the cold front came through around 0800, I didn't see one damn duck. Boy that wind was HOWLING!

ETA: Belay my last! Ends up it wasn't an ermine. It was a mink. That makes more sense next to water. I just didn't realize they had black fur on the tail also.
    Last edited by Sandcut; October 10th, 2009 at 08:49 PM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus