Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Why are hunting numbers down so low?

I was looking through my annual digest the other day and was shocked at how low the numbers have dropped off since 1990.

For example, woodchuck hunting has gone down, from 1990, 1,299,647 hunters to 123,204, in 2007-08

Crows down from 355,492 in 1990 to 39,579 in 2007-08.

For some reason the digest is only listing small game numbers and not big game, but you can see the trend.

What factors are making people stop hunting?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Chester County)

Default Re: Why are hunting numbers down so low?

Many things are causing hunter numbers to drop off; Lack of huntable lands due to posting and development, the economy, The cost of licenses and then the seeming lack of game, parents who are not introducing their children to the sport because they themselves weren't introduced to it, kids just not getting into hunting because their time is occupied by other interests(ie- sports, video games, no mentors, etc). The list goes on......

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Many things are causing hunter numbers to drop off; Lack of huntable lands due to posting and development, the economy, The cost of licenses and then the seeming lack of game, parents who are not introducing their children to the sport because they themselves weren't introduced to it, kids just not getting into hunting because their time is occupied by other interests(ie- sports, video games, no mentors, etc). The list goes on......
    Bold mine. Every time I go to my favorite gun shop and see parents with their children, I smile. We need more parents to show an interest in their children, rather than putting them in front of computers or TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaA View Post
    Bold mine. Every time I go to my favorite gun shop and see parents with their children, I smile. We need more parents to show an interest in their children, rather than putting them in front of computers or TVs.
    For me it's part economy. I don't have the cash to go buy another rifle/shotgun that is 'OK' for hunting in PA. I've never hunted before and would do it, but if I cant do it with the guns I have...I'll pass.

(Washington County)

I think that another reason is that pretty much from birth it's pounded into kids heads that guns are bad and that they should never touch them. They kill people. That puts fear into them about guns. It is so much easier to instill fear into children than it is respect.

In some cases one or even both parents hunt and never expose their children to it. Maybe it's a social thing? They don't want the kids to go to school and tell their friends that mom and dad kill Bambi and Thumper.

My daughter is fascinated with wildlife and I assume that my son will be too when he gets older. I think that's step one. After that it becomes a personal thing for the kids to decide. But they will be exposed to both shooting and hunting. I refuse to push my kids. I've seen too many kids (when I was a kid) pushed so hard that they simply stopped enjoying the sport they were in. I was always told that when it stopped being fun it was time to switch. Switch either to something else or the way things are being done.

My way of thinking may not be the best way. Every parent is different and they raise their kids their own way. This is just my 2 cents.

(Monroe County)

Here are my thoughts:

1. Rifle season is very short at 2 weeks and no sunday hunting means most people either have to use vacation or they get 2 days in the woods... not nearly enough time

2. No hunting land left that isn't public

3. Army of orange pressure on land makes hunting uncomfortable for most... I would rather sit home then attempt to be in the woods with the army of orange

4. Its expensive to hunt and if you don't butcher your own it isn't really economical to hunt vs buying hamburger in the store
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Most of the places I small game hunted are now filled w/ McMansions.

I took up Turkey hunting in the spring to get more use put of my license than just deer.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    For me it's part economy. I don't have the cash to go buy another rifle/shotgun that is 'OK' for hunting in PA. I've never hunted before and would do it, but if I cant do it with the guns I have...I'll pass.
    You can roll with a mil surp rifle like I am. You can buy a good mosin nagant 91/30 for 60-90 dollars, it's long as hell and hard to miss with.

mil surp ammo runs between 3 and 7 dollars per 20 rounds depending on where you go, gun shows are cheap usually 3 or 4 dollars.

hunting qualified rounds can be bought for about 7 to 11 dollars per 20 rounds depending on the gun shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Most people are just not involved with outdoor recreation these days unless it involves wheels and gas. And those that enjoy hiking, skiing and such largely have no interest in hunting.

The current hunting population is dwindling. They're old. Younger people, even those that have grown up around hunting, just have no interest in it.
    My neighbor has two sons and neither one hunts. He introduced both and neither picked it up.

Those of us that still hunt are losing our friends that hunt. Licenses are expensive, time is at a premium, the herd is smallest in the rural areas and largest where there is no land to hunt.

I happen to enjoy just being outdoors.
    Sitting in a tree stand during a nice autumn morning up some mt. hollow seeing any wildlife just doing what they do is as much fun as bagging a nice buck.

Last year near the last couple days of bow it was sunny and warmish and a small black bear sat down about 30 yards away ate his fill of black cherries, and past out in the warm sun for an hour. How many people have ever experienced that?

Fun is where you find it. Today fun is playing video games, and twittering (whatever that is).

Sadly I see no way to reverse the trend. Even if hunting opportunities were like they were 40-50 years ago it means nothing if people choose to spend their time and money on different priorities. Look at how many people are on this forum and own many guns, but have no interest in hunting. If you can’t get gun enthusiasts to hunt than IMO it’s a lost cause. Times change.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

God's I gotta agree with you. I measure the success of my season on the amount of time spent in the woods, not the meat in the freezer.

How many people can say they've actually had a red tail hawk swoop down right past them (if I would have had my hands out I could have touched its wing) and see it grab a mouse that was scurrying around and take it up into a tree

I love being the woods, hunting season just makes that happen
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast