Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pistol

(Cumberland County)

Default Pocket Pistol

I'm sure it's been talked about a lot in past threads, but I am looking to add the smallest and lightest pistol possible to my collection. I want something that can be slipped into my front pocket with ease, is reliable, and decent punch. I have come down to the Ruger LCP. I was looking at that and the Kel-Tec, but the Kel-Tec just looks so cheap - lol. Any better thoughts/suggestions ? Ruger is going for $ 297 new from my local gunshop, and then $ 150 for a crimson if I feel like adding it - don't see any better choices.
    Thanks !

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Pocket Pistol

learn to sew and make pockets to hold a DE .50

what is you minimum caliber, capacity, auto/wheel

for me it was 9mm and i went with the keltec pf9, fits in most of my pockets but i like using a iwb holster most times. not a pretty display gun but it does its job. theres also many others out there that fit better in the pocket but it depends on how small you want to go and how few rounds you want to have... but theres always other pockets for back up mags.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.jpg

(Lackawanna County)

They're only suggestions, but there's also the Beretta Tomcat (admittedly a bit heavier as it has an aluminium frame as opposed to polymer), or... If money (and obscenely long wait times) is (are) no object... A Seecamp, which has all stainless construction but doesn't weigh signifigantly more.

To its credit, the Tomcat does have the benefit of a tip-up barrel, if that's a factor in your decision. If, on the other hand, something lightweight is paramount, I do hear that Kel-Tec's customer service is admirable and that their pistols can be quite reliable. I can't say much about the LCP due to lack of experience with them, however.
    Last edited by CapnOfMyFate; October 8th, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Misspelling

(Montgomery County)

Take a good hard look at the Smith and Wesson 442 and 642. I pocket carry a 642 and it works quite good for me. The .38 special is a good round and the 642 weighs 15 ounces.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

Smallest and lightest prize goes to the LCP. Really nice little gun! It makes a great vest pocket BUG too, btw.
    When I pocket carry, I do prefer a lightweight snubby .38. DAO or shrouded hammer models are easier to draw and no exposed hammer to wear the pocket cloth.
    As I wrote, the LCP goes to...but it's in my vest pocket or occasionally a breast pocket.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Bucks County)

Kahr PM9 is nice though much pricier than Ruger or Kel-Tec (I didn't see a price range). I can carry in jeans or cargo short pockets with no problems with a pocket holster. I also do IWB under a t-shirt.

PM380 is even smaller.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by CapnOfMyFate View Post
    They're only suggestions, but there's also the Beretta Tomcat (admittedly a bit heavier as it has an aluminium frame as opposed to polymer), or... If money (and obscenely long wait times) is (are) no object... A Seecamp, which has all stainless construction but doesn't weigh signifigantly more.

To its credit, the Tomcat does have the benefit of a tip-up barrel, if that's a factor in your decision. If, on the other hand, something lightweight is paramount, I do hear that Kel-Tec's customer service is admirable and that their pistols can be quite reliable. I can't say much about the LCP due to lack of experience with them, however.
    Be careful of the Tomcats as they have frame cracking issues and Berettas only have a 3 year warranty. The blued versions have a thinner slide which moves faster than the heavier, wider Inox slide which is the cause of the cracked frames. The theory is the thinner slide does not absorb the recoil which causes the frame cracks. I have been there done that now I own the Kel-Tec P32 and PF9. They have proven to be very dependable guns with lifetime waranties. Not too mention 2 guns can be had for just a few dollars more than just 1 Tomcat.
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

(Delaware County)

I picked up a Ruger LCP a couple of weeks ago after comparing it with the P3AT at the shop. The best I can describe it is the LCP is a bit more "finished". the feel my hand was much better, the grip on the P3AT is a bit rough. In the end the extra $ for the ruger was worth it to me after hearing from some who had to deal with Ruger Customer service.

I am very satisfied.

Add a nemesis pocket holster and after a day or two you will not even feel it. If you carry in a front pocket keep everything else out of the pocket (this takes some getting used to esp if it is on the strong side)

Honestly whatever you are comfortable with is the right weapon.

I have not added the crimson trace laser yet since this is my BUG and if I need to go to it I am thinking it will not be for shooting at any significant distance.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    Be careful of the Tomcats as they have frame cracking issues and Berettas only have a 3 year warranty. The blued versions have a thinner slide which moves faster than the heavier, wider Inox slide which is the cause of the cracked frames. The theory is the thinner slide does not absorb the recoil which causes the frame cracks. I have been there done that now I own the Kel-Tec P32 and PF9. They have proven to be very dependable guns with lifetime waranties. Not too mention 2 guns can be had for just a few dollars more than just 1 Tomcat.
    Hello. I'm glad you brought up the frame cracking issues with the Beretta Tomcat. I've heard of them and was curious just how common it is. Though I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I've also never seen one develop cracks in its frame. I wonder if slide mass (as you mentioned) in addition to poor metallurgy and/or repeated stress in some weaker areas of the frame is the culprit.

Just out of curiosity, what areas of your old Tomcat developed cracks, and what was the round count at which it manifested? I'm not doubting you, I was just interested in learning more from someone who has owned one and experienced it firsthand.

I also agree that Kel-Tecs are a good value. Best, COMF.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 5711-Marine View Post
    I picked up a Ruger LCP a couple of weeks ago after comparing it with the P3AT at the shop. The best I can describe it is the LCP is a bit more "finished". the feel my hand was much better, the grip on the P3AT is a bit rough. In the end the extra $ for the ruger was worth it to me after hearing from some who had to deal with Ruger Customer service.

I am very satisfied.

Add a nemesis pocket holster and after a day or two you will not even feel it. If you carry in a front pocket keep everything else out of the pocket (this takes some getting used to esp if it is on the strong side)

Honestly whatever you are comfortable with is the right weapon.

I have not added the crimson trace laser yet since this is my BUG and if I need to go to it I am thinking it will not be for shooting at any significant distance.
    A Handall Jr. slip on gives a great grip. Nemesis in rear pocket for me. It just works much better, for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast