Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Exclamation Suggestions for new deer rifle wanted

I have just started hunting( woodchucks) with my furture father in law. It looks like I will bee deer hunting with him too. I am looking to putchase a new rifle for deer hunting since my chuck gun is WAY to heavy. I have a lot of gun experience but almost none of it is in hunting type rifles.

I was considering a Mossberg 4x4 package with scope in .270 win.

I am looking for additional suggestions. I'm looking for something that is a good value with the least recoil possible. I prefer synthetic/ matte stainless type setup.

any other makes and calibers sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get as much shooting in before the season as possible
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Suggestions for new deer rifle wanted

I just got a Winchester Model 70, Featherweight in .300 WSM Winchester Short Magnum which I really like. But the .300 WSM may not fit with "least recoil possible".

Check out the Savage. A friend of my just got one its it shoots well. The price was unbelievably low.

If you want the least amount of recoil for hunting in PA...the best caliber would be the .243 Winchester. You can hunt ground hogs to whitetail. I use the 75gr Hornady V max for ground hogs with devastating results. For PA whitetail, anything above 95 grs will work. Try the Sierra 100gr GameKing.

The .270 is a great caliber, but the recoil is heavy compared to the .243 Winchester. The .308 would also be a good caliber choice. Lots of good factory ammo to choose from.

As far as rifles that are light and accurate, I'd go with a Tikka T3 Lite. The very best action you will find in a factory rifle. The Savage line are very accurate, but the action is horrible. You may also want to look at a Howa rifle as well. Well balanced, accurate, and a smooth action.

(Luzerne County)

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions for new deer rifle wanted

thanks Aubie

I have a HOWA, unfortunatly it is a heavy barrel varmint with thumbhole stock. It shoots great and i got it at a great price slightly used. Unfortunately its a 22-250 and its heavy like a refrigerator. I've considered .243 and also 7mm-08. I have a vey limited budget so a lot of things I would like to buy are out of my price range in the time frame I am looking to buy.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Luzerne County)

A 7mm-08 is a superb choice, mild recoil, knockdown power to spare (including use on Bear) and the ability to reach out to 300+ yds quite easily and accurately. Check out the Savage combo packages, they are priced very reasonable, usually come with gun/scope/mounts/sling and are one of the most accurate out of the box guns you will find-regardless of price.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Susquehanna County)

For Pennsylvania to get along with the silly "manual operation" only rule. You might consider a Browning BLR in .243 Win or .308 Win. It's a nice lever action, with a detachable box magazine so pointed bullets are no problem and you get full ballistic benefit. Or if you prefer bolt action, take a look at Savage (believe it or not Savage rifles are among the most accurate "out-of-the-box" you can buy) or CZ for a really fine Mauser action at reasonable cost.

In any event, have fun shopping!

I was thinking about selling my Savage .243, so PM me if you are interested.

(Franklin County)

I have never shot a 243. My Brother has one and he says that he loves it. However he said that you pretty much have to have a heart shot to take them down. The 270 have a great reach on it as well withmore knockdown power.Oh a 30-06 is satndard here in pa. It has a great knockdown, I been told that the variety of bulltes are greater and is much more versitle gun due to that. I would go with a 270.
    In God We Trust............................

(Franklin County)

In God We Trust............................

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepbluePA View Post
    ...I've considered .243 and also 7mm-08. I have a vey limited budget so a lot of things I would like to buy are out of my price range in the time frame I am looking to buy.
    If you're going to be hunting up in the northeast where you are and have a limited budget, consider a Marlin 336 lever action in .30-30. You should be able to find one for less than $350 and the .30-30 doesn't have much recoil.

The only bad thing about a .30-30 is it won't have the reach that some of the other calibers mentioned above will have. If you think you'll be taking a shot beyond 150 yards, then the .270, .243, or 7mm-08 would be better. Personally, I'd go for the 7mm-08 because it'll have a little more knock down power than the .243 and a little less recoil than the .270

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast