Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Are you happy with your Taurus Tracker?

Are you happy with your Taurus Tracker revolver? What are the good points and bad points about this revolver? Or just your general feedback on them,

Thanks, Nyman

(York County)

Default Re: Are you happy with your Taurus Tracker?

I bought a stainless steel .357 Mag with a 4" barrel when they first came out about 10-12 years ago.
    The "Ribber" grips take some getting used to. It took me quite a while to adjust to them but I like them now. They do a fine job of absorbing recoil but, IMHO, if you want the gun to roll up...well, that's not going to happen. And since the gun is ported, it's not going to roll anyway.
    The cylinder has a lock up on both ends of the crane, so full house magnum rounds aren't going to hurt this gun.
    The satin finish (rather then bright stainless) is quite attractive and the gun is well balanced.
    The trigger...well, it took a few hundred rounds to smooth out. That's pretty typical of Taurus revolvers, IMHO. I don't keep track of rounds fired, but I'd estimate it's got somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds through it. Probably 1/3rd of those were magnum, the remaining were .38 SPL.
    The porting does a good job, but there's two disadvantages to that. One, the front sight gets cruddy pretty quickly and two, this gun is loud! I've read complaints of the difficulty of cleaning the ports and debris flying out of those ports. Since I always wear safety glasses, the debris never bothered me (just unburned powder). I've never had a problem cleaning the ports either.
    All in all, the Tracker has been an exceptionally nice revolver. IMHO, this is one of the better .357 Mag revolvers available and Taurus' best product.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Erie County)

I had a stainless .41 mag for a couple of years. I liked the compact size for a .41 but I never could get used to the grips and I couldn't find any aftermarket at the time. The porting was LOUD. Indoors, the noise and muzzle blast were a bit disconcerting (extremely annoying!) for other shooters. Accuracy was fair but nothing great. It held up well to a moderate amount of shooting I did with it. No porting and different grips and I might buy another.

(Monroe County)

I bought a used 4" .357 at Cabela's for use as a truck gun. I probably have a couple hundred rounds through it. For a Taurus, it has a decent trigger and seems to actually shoot better DA then I have been able to shoot it SA. The 7 shot .357 uses the same speedloaders I use for my 7 shot S&W 686 which is convenient. I have had no issues or malfunctions with the gun, and it serves the purpose as a truck gun without risking the S&W I used to use for that purpose.

When I was looking at the Tracker, I was also looking at a Taurus Mod 85, the 5 shot snub. The fit and finish on the tracker looked way batter, and the lockup on the 85 just didn't seem right. The Tracker does not seem to have any of these issues. I think that Taurus seems to put some actual QC into the Tracker line.

AJ

(York County)

Another nice thing about the Taurus...unlike the newer S&W's, the lock has never caused the gun not to fire (as long as you don't lock the revolver and lose the key!).
    If you ever do lose a Taurus key...just drop me a line. I've still got most of them in the original boxes and never used 'em.

When I was looking at the Tracker, I was also looking at a Taurus Mod 85, the 5 shot snub. The fit and finish on the tracker looked way batter, and the lockup on the 85 just didn't seem right. The Tracker does not seem to have any of these issues. I think that Taurus seems to put some actual QC into the Tracker line.

AJ
    That's surprising...those little 85's have a really good reliability record.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Perry County)

Don't own one but I held one yesterday at Cabela's. I also held a S&W 686 Plus Combat 4" and a Ruger GP100 4". The Ruger felt the best out of all 3, followed by the S&W. I didn't particularly care for the grip on the Taurus.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for your input guys, i looked at one this past saturday at a gunstore, its the 6.5 inch barrel gun stainless, adjustable sights with scope base.
    The dealer wants $549 , is that a good price? Oh its a .44 mag which is the caliber i'm looking for.

The trigger were very nice , almost as nice as my Smith 66.

So is $549 a good price ?

Thanks, Nyman