Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Lets talk about S&W 40VE...

And be adult about it.

I'm interested in opinions from current/past owner, not from someone who knew someone that have brother-in-law that dated someone who's brother owned one or anything like that.

Most review I've found so far - and there are many - bash its trigger(We all know their trigger from factory are heavy, so lets not waste our time on that), but for the most part, they give positive feed back on dependability. It seems like shoot when trigger is pulled, which is most important.
    Accuracy, seems okay, but hinder by the heavy(but smooth I was told) trigger pull.

is that pretty much accurate?
    And how about trigger job on them? I do not care for trigger job on guns unless its target/competition gun, but its trigger is heavy enough to warrent the possibility of getting one.
    I read that its rather simple - take few coils off of trigger spring would do. is that true?

Reason I'm asking is that I bought nearly new 40VE today(I can't imagine it had shot more then 100rds). I never thought that I'll get one, but it was just too cheap to walk away from it($225 OTD).
    Last edited by Mity2; October 7th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Lets talk about S&W 40VE...

I owned one for a little over a year before selling it to another member here who is also very pleased with it. Your assessment is pretty good, but I increased my own accuracy greatly with this pistol after receiving some instruction on improving my grip, so I wouldn't really say that the trigger weight has an adverse affect on the gun's accuracy.

I briefly considered getting a trigger job, but never bothered to follow through. Like you, price was a motivator in choosing this pistol, and I was not disappointed by my decision.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

I have owned one since 1996, 2nd generastion Sigma, Mine is a .40 Compact, its a good Gun, years ago i put in a Wolfe spring Kit in mine ($10) so now my trigger is lighter a nd crisper than a Glock, so i dont face the trigger problem.

Years ago when S&B ammo just started toi come into the country i had one over pressured round blew up in my Sigma at the range, it didnt even fase the Sigma.

Smith & Wesson paid Glock $3.5 milllion in a law suit settlement over this Gun, its that close to a Glock, some of the Parts will fit a Glock.
    Smith &Wesson Spent $2.5 million Dollars in R&D to design the perfect grip angle and its a superior grip angle to most of what is out there .

I can honestly say mine has never failed in any way, the Novak sights are better than Glocks far quicker pick up.

No matter how hard i try i cannot get mine to shoot better than 2 inches at 25 yards, but 2 inches is very good for a Self defense gun.

As you probably know its a contract gun , the only part of it that is maDE BY sMITH #wEsson is the Barrel , the rest is made in Houlton Maine by other contractors.
    In a life and death situation yoiu can count on a Sigma to save your life, very reliable.

Nyman

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post

As you probably know its a contract gun , the only part of it that is maDE BY sMITH #wEsson is the Barrel , the rest is made in Houlton Maine by other contractors.
    In a life and death situation yoiu can count on a Sigma to save your life, very reliable.

Nyman
    I acutally did not know that.
    Do we know who the "other" contractors are?
    Well, regardless of who the contractors are, as long as they are american owned/operated in America, I'm cool with that tho.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I acutally did not know that.
    Do we know who the "other" contractors are?
    Well, regardless of who the contractors are, as long as they are american owned/operated in America, I'm cool with that tho.
    I would ask for documentation before you bought that story.

The gun is just as accurate as other options. The trigger sucks, yeah.

The only issues I see with them are extraction issues, and some magazine feeding issues. I've see these with the M&P, too though. It's just a S&W thing, I guess.

I've seen a LOT more double feeds in them, than I have Glocks.

The pistol is ahead of the pack, at the price it sells at. But it is not up to the reliability of the Glock, or HK.

For the money, it's worth getting if you can deal with the trigger. If you have issues, S&W has good customer service...so long as you don't mind the pistol being gone for a few weeks.

(Monroe County)

I owned one in 9mm. It wasn't great and did not run reliably FTF and mag drops. It was very accurate, but now that i own two glocks I would say save my money and go with a glock. As for a cheap price point gun it fills the need in the market, but i would NEVER trust my life to it. Thats why I got rid of mine.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

I originally bought a 9mm Sigma, and found it to be a very servicable gun - but the trigger was not up to the quality of a nice Model 19, by any means. But it is a good gun. I then got a 40 and 2 more 9's, and have had Frank (the S&W rep in Texas) do trigger work on the first 9 and the 40. They came back significantly improved, and very shootable. Triggers are smooth and clean but still over 7#. I am considering the Wolff spring kit, but I am uncertain as to whether they contain the little springs that are in the trigger/sear works. I'm not going to start altering the only set of springs I have - I am going to have an original or aftermarket set on hand before I start chopping on the originals.

I have shot Bullseye for years with a 1911, and many thousands of rounds through Model 19's (but never got into IPSC, IDPA or such). The Sigma grip is an extraordinary fit for my average-sized hands, but the trigger took a bit of getting used to as the only true DA semi-auto I have a couple thousand rounds experience with to that point was the KelTec P-11, which is a small, concealment piece. The mag-release is in the right place for my grip, too.

I was impressed with the "shootability" of the Sigma, and the 40 works much more accurately to 25 yards (for me, anyway) than the 9's. It's just a real pleasure to shoot. And the price was good. And I got a pair of Fobus holsters for it (one belt-loop and one paddle model). Fobus also makes a good double-mag pouch for the Sigma mags, but so far, only in a paddle model. Next, I'm going shopping for a Serpa retention holster for belt-loop as I am convinced that the 40 will soon become my favorite auto.

That's just my story - it is economical, accurate, and I like it.

Side-benefit - - as a reloader, I don't have to travel very far afield to find all my brass. All my Sigmas seem to eject their empties all in a neat pile two paces right flank rear. My friend Dave's Glock 19 heaves them all over the township. (He says the exercise is good for us).

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Centre County)

I've had Glock, and just could not deal with the grip angle.
    They were reliable, and accurate firearm, however(I think noone in right mind would argue that).

I honestly do not know if this is good firearm or not. My limited experience with 9VE was an okay one. It shot okay, and shot everytime trigger was pulled. Trigger, while heavy, I shoot alot of DA revolver, and i see not much different then that.
    I guess, being that the I'm a Smith lover, I want to prove that Sigma aren't ugry duckling that everyone thinks it is...
    I have 3 M&P's(two 9's, and 45), and all are dependable to the T's, and never had ANY issues with them, so I tends to think very highly of S&W semiauto's

And for $225, what do I got to lose?
    Last edited by Mity2; October 7th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

I agree, theyre good guns. When you first pick them up and pull the trigger you think this is heavy for a semi....but that goes away with a couple hundred rounds down the field. They are nice guns that take a beating and keep on ticking. I would say its possibly the best truck gun out there. Well maybe an old beat up glock would be the same but it's a good gun for the money.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Mercer County)

I wanted one - but my Stoeger fit better in my hand.

I was really jonesing the Allied Forces model with the black slide, but they are harder to find.

Bud's Gun Shop has an insane deal on Sigmas right now for anyone who wants to buy one! Only $249 delivered (after $50 mail-in rebate). That's crazy cheap for anyone who wants to get into semi-auto handguns.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast