Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Registering home made gun...

If I understand correctly, when I make a gun I do not have to register it with any federal paperwork . (specifically an AR15 receiver made from an 80% and a KT-1911 made from a 60%)

But does anyone know about the state of Pennsylvania and more specifically Luzerne County?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Registering home made gun...

there is no registration requirement for anything but NFA firearms, either federally, or PA specific.

there is also no MARKING or serial # requirements for anything but NFA firearms, either federally, or PA specific, unless you are a Federally LICENSED manufacturer or importer of firearms.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

What Jay Bell said, Also you dont have to pay the 11% excise tax either, BATF allows you one gun tax free.

Nymax

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    What Jay Bell said, Also you dont have to pay the 11% excise tax either, BATF allows you one gun tax free.

Nymax
    RE: one gun: Actually There is no limit provided they are not made for the purpose of re-sale.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Monroe County)

Things must have changed.Great!

Nyman

(Monroe County)

Always believed that if a person has in their possession a modern "manufactured" cartridge firearm. then an identifying serial number is required. If the serial number is missing or defaced, then one can and must be applied.

Homemade guns I think are exempt from the serial number rule, at least on the Federal level. With that said, If I owned a newer vintage cartridge arm without serial #, just for legal safety purposes, some sort of number would be placed on the receiver. Then if the house catches fire or in some emergency and the authorities find the gun with no serial number on it you're covered. Don't need some over zealous cops or a hot shot DA's office lawyer trying to create a crime and make a case.

Recall finding some unused (prototype?) M1 Carbine receivers from the old United Shoe Machine Company of Beverly, Mass. They were located when cleaning out some of the old buildings. The receivers had USMC stamped on them, but no serial number at all. In compliance with BATF, we stamped serial numbers on them of 001 - 004 and built a couple of them into complete rifles.

Don't believe that there is a registration process, but do think that a number of some sort should probably be stamped or etched onto the receiver.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; October 9th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by canyonvr View Post
    If I understand correctly, when I make a gun I do not have to register it with any federal paperwork . (specifically an AR15 receiver made from an 80% and a KT-1911 made from a 60%)

But does anyone know about the state of Pennsylvania and more specifically Luzerne County?
    There is NO PA law requirement on putting serial numbers on homemade firearms, Just the Feds regulations. Local or county laws regulating firearms in any maner are illegal contrary to what the anti-gun groups says or wish, its settled law in PA.

If you remove or destroy an existing serial number that is a different story.

Since you mentioned KT ordinance you should have went to their web site for manufacturing personal firearms as determined by ATF.

http://www.ktordnance.com/kto/about.php

Requirements/Restrictions

A 60% unfinished frame is actually a "special case" with the BATF and comes under restrictions that apply to any metal castings that are used to form the basis for gun parts.

In this case, what we are talking about is a metal casting that has been "almost" completed. It was cast, and then some of the milling work was done to it... but they stopped before they cut the slide rails (or any other combo of cuts that add up to the remaining 40% of the milling steps). Because the manufacturer stopped working on the piece BEFORE it was finished.... the piece is still in a state of limbo, so to speak.... it isn't really a "Gun" but it isn't really a raw hunk of metal either.

The castings do NOT have any serial numbers or roll marks on them (normally the last step in the manufacturing process). In this form they are still considered to be just pieces of metal as far as the BATF and the Brady Bill are concerned. If the manufacturer takes them one step further... then they are subject to all the laws of the land that apply to firearms. Remember that as far as the ATF is concerned... the frame/receiver IS the firearm.... and everything else is just parts.

So it is perfectly legal to order a 60% unfinished frame/receiver from the distributor and there is no paperwork at all involved. You do not need to be an FFL dealer, anyone that wants one can just call and give their credit card number and *poof* out it goes in the mail.

Ok..... sounds really cool huh? So what's the rub?

Well the bottom line is... YOU (and only you) have to finish the final machining process on it yourself. There are no serial numbers and the firearm (once it is complete) can NEVER.... let me say that again to be sure you understand it... NEVER, EVER be sold to anyone else.... period! It would be a firearm for "personal use only" and the only other living soul that you may legally give it to would be an heir (to your son in your will for instance).

If you build your own firearm in this way, then you are acting as a firearms manufacturer which is perfectly legal as long as it is for personal use only. Much as it's legal to make all the homemade wine/beer that you want as long as it is not for resale....(well same basic idea anyway).

2009 ATF letter to MT group about Firearm Freedom Act (FFA) and federal license required to manufacture firearm for sale. Personal firearms manufactured are exemption with exceptions mentioned in ATF letter.

http://firearmsfreedomact.com/2009/0...r-re-the-mffa/

Note FFA is attempting to go around firearm stranglehold using the interstate commerce clause that the Feds claim to have over firearms, ammo, and accessories that are made and retained in a state under the 9th & 10th amendments.

If you are interested learning more about FFA with a PA bill lots of info here on what it can mean for US with "Made In PA firearms".
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...lawmakers.html