Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Great experience at Monroe County Courthouse yesterday.

Being from NJ, the concept of walking into a courthouse with a firearm would normally be quite foreign to me. However, yesterday changed all that.

I had to go out to PA to meet my friend and get my bow tuned up in Stroudsburg for archery season. Whenever I get over the border into PA, I always become "PA 2A compliant". That's the term I use (lol).He had indicated that he wanted to apply for his LTCF, and wanted to go to the courthouse to see what the procedure was. So, after I took care of my hunting equipment items, off we went to the courthouse in Stroudsburg. He goes in first, checks his items, no probs. I ask politely if there is a locker where I may store my firearm. The older S.O. says "Yeah, sure. Give us a minute." Otherwise I'd have gone back out to my car. So I proceed through the metal detector, and another friendly S.O. brings me over to the locker. He asks me to make the pistol safe, and politely tells the civilians walking through the detector area to stay back for a moment. My friend is really intrigued by the whole process at this point, and jokes with the older S.O. that he's glad the detector works. So, the younger S.O. asks me for my LTCF, and I tell him I'm a nonresident from NJ, but have my nonres permits. And I give him the stack. He says the Florida one looks good to go, and starts on the paperwork, while I put my knife, and two extra magazines in the locker. He then secures the locker, and we proceed to complete the paperwork. At this point the conversation moves to football, and how the Jets sucked on Sunday. I really could not believe how nonchalant these guys were about the whole thing. We go into the office, talk to the other SO at the desk, get the paperwork, and go right out. The older SO says thanks for coming by, and good luck this season.

Now somehow my NJ FID card is in with the CCW's, and the younger SO actually thought it was a NJ CCW. I decided not to press the issue, but he asks me why I am "armed to the teeth", and inquired as to my NRA instructor status. We joke a little on that, and then he says he wished that Obama would understand the importance of the 2nd amendment, and the right for people to protect themselves, WHEREVER they are. I retrieve my items, and holster back up. At this point, it felt surreal. I couldn't believe how friendly, and PROFESSIONAL and totally pro 2A these men were to me. Coming from PRNJ, I thought I'd be met with some scorn and derision for going CCW to the courthouse, but all in all it was a great experience, and I can only hope that someday it will be like this in NJ. I know it's a long shot, but if we keep trying, eventually it will happen. So, hats off to Monroe County Sheriff's Office!!!!
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Great experience at Monroe County Courthouse yesterday.

That is awesome. I can only hope my experience at Northampton County Courthouse goes half as well as this. I should be going in on the 30th... If it doesn't go well you guys will hear all about it.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

Good story, those guys working the entrance are pretty laid back.
    When I carried in there the first time I was pretty nervous but it went smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Jerseytactical, Pa had a slogan a few years ago "America starts here" and you experienced that.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankie View Post
    Jerseytactical, Pa had a slogan a few years ago "America starts here" and you experienced that.

I would love that to be posted at the borders of the state.

Glad you had a smooth time at the courthouse.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    I would love that to be posted at the borders of the state.

Glad you had a smooth time at the courthouse.
    i think it actually was at one point many years ago...coming through the Delaware Water Gap toll bridge but i could be mistaken.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    i think it actually was at one point many years ago...coming through the Delaware Water Gap toll bridge but i could be mistaken.
    I believe you are correct sirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I believe you are correct sirs.
    Yes they are correct but NJ got real upset about it and "made" PA take it down.
    S S