Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default How do you get your Deer out?

Just thought of something, i will be deer hunting this year for the first time, just thought of something, say i got a deer , how would i get it out of the woods by myself?

I have 2 rotated cups and a bad back problem, how would i do this by myself ? say i am a mile in and i got one.

How do you do it ?
    Should i just hunt on snowy days so i can tie it with a rope and glide it over the snow?
    Should i limit myself to a small deer?
    Or should i just stick to small game/ rabbits, turkey, birds etc.

Thanks, Nyman

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How do you get your Deer out?

Quads work well.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Somerset County)

Bone it out, bring home the meat and antlers only.

Might be a good idea to bring an ear with the tag in it also. The PGC may not consider 'boned out' as 'processed for consumption'.

Dale

(Chester County)

I guy i know is disabled, and he says that rangers or wco's will help you drag the deer if you are legitimately disabled. The cart is a nice idea, but you have to consider whether or not you are capable of getting the deer onto it. same with the quad. Also, fellow hunters might be willing to help. I have never met a hunter afield who was not willing to help another hunter.

(Monroe County)

Thanks Guys, this is something i have to look into, the cart sounds more promising, i'd hate to ride a quad into the woods that might disrupt other hunters and game. tHanks nymaz

(Schuylkill County)

First, I would take note of where I was hunting. I would try to avoid any deep ravines or anything that will make it almost impossible for someone in your situtation to get it out, even with a cart. Second, the cart is a very plausible alternative. There are many styles and sizes to choose from. I see you're from Monroe, not sure if you feel like going to Cabelas or not, but if you do, you can look at all the different ones they have first hand, and there may even be a couple out so you can try (don't hold me to that one though)

Best bet: Either A) Have someone along to help you, or call somebody near by to come and help you out. B) Get a cart, and stick to flatter/slightly hilly grounds if possible and get a cart. It will be much easier on you.

Good luck!
    III%

(Allegheny County)

find yourself a strapping young lad that doesnt have anyone else to take him hunting. Teach him what you know, make him do the grunt work.

Quote Originally Posted by ellik View Post
    find yourself a strapping young lad that doesnt have anyone else to take him hunting. Teach him what you know, make him do the grunt work.
    X2

Solves your troubles and passes along the heritage.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Bucks County)

Help is not always available. I have a drag rope w/ a nylon shoulder loop. I tie a simple loop around the neck and stick the front legs thru it too & then I stand up w/ the loop on my shoulder. Should the head and shoulders still be on the ground I wrap the cord around once to shorten it. w/ the legs/head/antlers off the ground the carcass drags alot easier and starts up over logs & rocks without that much effort. I have a short section of broomstick I'm adding this year for a handhold.

Snow always makes it easier. Some people have thin plastic 'roll up' sleds they tie the deer on/in making them slide easier; especially in the snow.

The above poster who mentioned the terraine conditions was spot on; one place we hunt on a SFL dirt road has a parkign spot on an edge overlooking an area we call the 'rock garden'. A good spot is about 1/4 mile below the truck but the north ridge meets the same ridge we park on so it is possible to drag about 3/4 of a mile on the level and only deal w/ logs VRS the 1/4 mile uphill thru the rockpile. Make note of such spots when you scout.

Dragging a deer will convince smokers that quitting is a good idea. Better to take it slow and rest often.
    Last edited by wis bang; October 7th, 2009 at 10:31 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast