Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Blind Resident Obtaining LTCF

Hi everyone

I am brand new to the group, and I hope there are people here that can give some accurate feedback on my inquiry.

Completely aside from a conversation of why, I would like to determine if there are any current laws, federal, state, or local that would not allow a blind (described as a person with diminished sight to be legally identified as visually impaired) from registering a handgun, and obtaining a license to carry firearm (LTCF).

I reside in PA, in Montgomery county, and yes I use a white cane.

I spent a long time reviewing the PA firearms legislature online (link and notes below). I did not find anything that indicates a blind individual cannot be awarded a LTCF.

I have also read through some the forum threads where my searches yielded results. some of the most interesting threads were from 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2013. So that information may be out of date. I have also read a post that says a totally blind friend in Harrisburg did not have a problem getting a LTCF. And just read a follow-up (Feb. 2013) from that same person saying the renewal process was not a problem and he had his white cane in use at the court house. Appears I can locate the documents online, complete them prior to going in.

I do not know if the other inquiring individuals were successful or not.

So, if I were to solely go off of the forum posts, it appears that blind residents of PA can obtain a LTCF. Anything different since 2013?

I am posting the links and notes below, mostly to aid anyone else in their research, and to show I have attempted to put in a solid effort for determining the answer myself prior to posting.

Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act of 1995
    (It appears that all amendments have been applied to this posting.)
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61
    § 6105. *Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms.
    (c) *Other persons.
    This subsection is where I would have thought something would indicate if diminished sight would exclude a person from being able to own a firearm. Nothing here indicates that though.

§ 6109. *Licenses.
    (c) *Form of application and content.
    I am pasting in the portion that is mandatory to appear on the license application in the state of PA. Nothing specifically indicates a physical requirement.

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have
    never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and
    belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his
    designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents
    relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms,
    I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.

(d) *Sheriff to conduct investigation
    Nothing here indicates vision is a portion of the determinant process.

Thanks for your time, if you got to reading this far. And I appreciate any responses.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Blind Resident Obtaining LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by BackInTheGame View Post
    Hi everyone

I am brand new to the group, and I hope there are people here that can give some accurate feedback on my inquiry.

Completely aside from a conversation of why, I would like to determine if there are any current laws, federal, state, or local that would not allow a blind (described as a person with diminished sight to be legally identified as visually impaired) from registering a handgun, and obtaining a license to carry firearm (LTCF).

I reside in PA, in Montgomery county, and yes I use a white cane.

I spent a long time reviewing the PA firearms legislature online (link and notes below). I did not find anything that indicates a blind individual cannot be awarded a LTCF.

I have also read through some the forum threads where my searches yielded results. some of the most interesting threads were from 2007, 2009, 2012 and 2013. So that information may be out of date. I have also read a post that says a totally blind friend in Harrisburg did not have a problem getting a LTCF. And just read a follow-up (Feb. 2013) from that same person saying the renewal process was not a problem and he had his white cane in use at the court house. Appears I can locate the documents online, complete them prior to going in.

I do not know if the other inquiring individuals were successful or not.

So, if I were to solely go off of the forum posts, it appears that blind residents of PA can obtain a LTCF. Anything different since 2013?

I am posting the links and notes below, mostly to aid anyone else in their research, and to show I have attempted to put in a solid effort for determining the answer myself prior to posting.

Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act of 1995
    (It appears that all amendments have been applied to this posting.)
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61
    § 6105. *Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms.
    (c) *Other persons.
    This subsection is where I would have thought something would indicate if diminished sight would exclude a person from being able to own a firearm. Nothing here indicates that though.

§ 6109. *Licenses.
    (c) *Form of application and content.
    I am pasting in the portion that is mandatory to appear on the license application in the state of PA. Nothing specifically indicates a physical requirement.

I have never been convicted of a crime that prohibits me from possessing or acquiring a firearm under Federal or State law. I am of sound mind and have
    never been committed to a mental institution. I hereby certify that the statements contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and
    belief. I understand that, if I knowingly make any false statements herein, I am subject to penalties prescribed by law. I authorize the sheriff, or his
    designee, or, in the case of first class cities, the chief or head of the police department, or his designee, to inspect only those records or documents
    relevant to information required for this application. If I am issued a license and knowingly become ineligible to legally possess or acquire firearms,
    I will promptly notify the sheriff of the county in which I reside or, if I reside in a city of the first class, the chief of police of that city.

(d) *Sheriff to conduct investigation
    Nothing here indicates vision is a portion of the determinant process.

Thanks for your time, if you got to reading this far. And I appreciate any responses.
    From what I have found out, there has never been a LTCF issued to a legally blind person, but there doesn't appear to be any legislation prohibiting it. But, isn't drivers license needed to obtain one?

Here's a news article about it:

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/201309100178

(Montgomery County)

There's nothing in the law that would prohibit someone who is blind from purchasing a firearm or obtaining a PA LTCF. I hope you don't have an issue, and doubt you will. If for whatever reason the deputy at the office starts asking questions, politely say you don't want to discuss your medical history. You won't be lying on the form as you pretty much know already.

I've thought about this before. Yes sight is the primary sense used for shooting a firearm, but pulling a J-frame revolver out of your pocket for a contact shot if someone is on top of you trying to kill you doesn't require much sight. I'm sure you're aware of your limitations and will carry responsibly.

Good luck to you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    From what I have found out, there has never been a LTCF issued to a legally blind person, but there doesn't appear to be any legislation prohibiting it. But, isn't drivers license needed to obtain one?

Here's a news article about it:

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/201309100178
    Fuck the author of that article.

You need a state issued ID - not necessarily a driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

He would be horrified to know that there is a 100% blind gun store owner who has one of the largest collections of firearms out there.

www.YouTube.com/c/MishacoOBA/videos

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

That asshole has a VERY long history of snarky anti-gun opinion pieces.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I certainly wouldn't call the sheriff and ask if you can get your LTCF.
    Giving them that info up front could give them the time to come up with a reason to deny.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BackInTheGame View Post

I imagine some here are hesitant to clarify the issue, due to a lack of widespread journalistic integrity.

Imagine the headline, "PA Issues 'Concealed Gun Permits,' to Blind People!"

Fortunately, the 2A is loathe to discriminate. PA seems to be limping along. Hopefully, others will chime-in to affirm that, "sighted," is not a requirement to keeping and bearing arms.

(Allegheny County)

I think you should apply, without telling them you're blind. They will never see it coming.

Ok, ok... (;

Seriously though. There is no question on the form about sight. You should proceed as anyone else would, show up to hand over your form and pay your money and go from there.

(Franklin County)

Just one minor point of clarification from the OP: There is no "registration" of firearms in PA. While the PSP does illegally maintain certain records of transactions that require FFL involvement, there are plenty of ways to legally be in possession of firearms that do not appear on any official list.

All that said, I agree that there is no law at any level of government to prevent a blind PA resident from purchasing, possessing, and carrying a firearm. Nor is there any legal basis in PA statute to deny a LTCF to such a person.

As a "just in case", be aware that IF you would happen to be denied, you have a 30-day window to file your appeal. Should that circumstance arise, based on your location, I would recommend Prince Law.

Good luck!
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast