Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Your Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer to carry with you.

Quote Originally Posted by funsized View Post
    Hence why I am posting the drafts for everyone, including the mods, to help edit. The logo was on the original, so I don't see why danp wouldn't approve it, but I'm sure he will let me know if that is the case. This is a combined effort here, not just some guy or gal writing some misinformation on a piece of paper and passing it out.
    Danp has not logged on in 4 weeks. He has not posted in close to a year. you might want to drop him an email.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Danp has not logged on in 4 weeks. He has not posted in close to a year. you might want to drop him an email.
    Good point. Done! Will wait to hear back. Til then, plenty of editing left to do before it's printable.
    I teach your kids.

(Franklin County)

Hence why I am posting the drafts for everyone, including the mods, to help edit. The logo was on the original, so I don't see why danp wouldn't approve it, but I'm sure he will let me know if that is the case. This is a combined effort here, not just some guy or gal writing some misinformation on a piece of paper and passing it out.
    The logo was on the original because explicit permission was given for that document. Implied permission going forward should not be assumed by an individual OR a group.

Also, the mods have no connection to any related legal issues (beyond any other user here), nor the authority to waive them. That lies solely with the copyright owner.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

Funsized I greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this.

Here are some of my findings, hopefully these are not duplications of others so far. Facts flyer...

Page 2, top left side reads: "Licenses to Carry Firearms (LTCFs) for PA residents (over 21 years of age)"
    ^this implies a person must be 22 to apply.

Should read: Licenses to Carry Firearms (LTCFs) for PA residents (21 years of age or older) <-direct quote from 6109.
    ^also in FAQ flyer

Center column, first bulleted item: might want to add 18 years of age or older to the text.
    ^this change I propose is actually redundant, since folks under 18 are prohibited. oops.
    Also, "vehicles" and (Philadelphia) are superscripted (1) and (2), but there are no references to 1 and 2 elsewhere in the document.
    ^superscripts (1) and (2) are represented in the FAQs flyer though.
    Also, looking at: "and where prohibited specifically by statute. {18 Pa.C.S. §6106, §6107, §6108}
    Should that read: "or where prohibited...". I'm thinking "and" lists and "or" lists are very different types of lists.
    Just my understanding, could be wrong.

Rep inbound for taking this on.

EDITED TO ADD: Forgot one. Far right column reads: Philadelphia public streets, unless you hold a valid LTCF or reciprocal license (applies to OC and CC) {18 Pa.C.S.§ 6108. }

Should read: Philadelphia public streets or public property, unless you hold a valid LTCF or reciprocal license (applies to OC and CC) {18 Pa.C.S.§ 6108. }
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; January 1st, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Continuing, and looking now at the FAQs flyer:

Left column: "What about while driving? To enter a vehicle with a loaded handgun..." should probably read in or on any vehicle...
    For the PA Consolidated Statutes, the definition of "vehicle" is:

"Vehicle." A conveyance in or on which persons or property may be carried.

That definition can be found at
    1 Pa.C.S. § 1991.

We sometimes find that folks think they can carry loaded and unlicensed on a motorcycle, for example, simply because they are not "in" a vehicle.

Left column, bottom, reads: Without a LTCF or other state license...

Should probably read: Without a LTCF or other state's carry license...

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Flyer comments:

An emphasized notation should be added that current case law requires a PA resident to have a PA LTCF to CC or have a loaded handgun in a vehicle - CCWs from other states (regardless of reciprocal status) are NOT usable in lieu of the PA LTCF. This impacts several "General Facts about Carrying".

we hold that a Pennsylvania resident who does not have a valid Pennsylvania license issued under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act may not carry a firearm in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person in Pennsylvania under the authority of a permit issued by another state that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania.
    Commonwealth v. McKown, 2013 PA Super 282 - Pa: Superior Court 2013

Useful Resources and Links: PAFOA's reference section is woefully out-of-date and not a good source of CURRENT laws. Best reference is through the PA Legislative Website @
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cons_index.cfm

Similarly impacted is the FAQ document.
    IANAL

(Columbia County)

Updated to include all of Curmudgeon's edits. Thanks for the constructive criticisms!

Keep the suggestions coming, folks!
    I teach your kids.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Flyer comments:

An emphasized notation should be added that current case law requires a PA resident to have a PA LTCF to CC or have a loaded handgun in a vehicle - CCWs from other states (regardless of reciprocal status) are NOT usable in lieu of the PA LTCF. This impacts several "General Facts about Carrying".

Commonwealth v. McKown, 2013 PA Super 282 - Pa: Superior Court 2013

Useful Resources and Links: PAFOA's reference section is woefully out-of-date and not a good source of CURRENT laws. Best reference is through the PA Legislative Website @
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...cons_index.cfm

Similarly impacted is the FAQ document.
    Thanks for the edits! The link that you supplied for the PA Legislative Website just links to a searchable database for the PA consolidated statues. I'm pretty sure PAFOA's texts of the statues is up to date, and lists only those that are applicable to gun laws. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.

I will figure out how to word the emphasis for the restriction on PA residents and update accordingly.
    Editted: I updated the documents by putting "nonresidents only" before any reference to another state's license.
    Last edited by funsized; January 1st, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
    I teach your kids.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the edits! The link that you supplied for the PA Legislative Website just links to a searchable database for the PA consolidated statues. I'm pretty sure PAFOA's texts of the statues is up to date, and lists only those that are applicable to gun laws. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.

I will figure out how to word the emphasis for the restriction on PA residents and update accordingly.
    Just checked PAFOA's laws and see that they finally updated the changes from HB40 passed in 2011. Took over two years to do it but it seems to have been recently accomplished.
    IANAL

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Funsized I greatly appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this.

Here are some of my findings, hopefully these are not duplications of others so far. Facts flyer...

Page 2, top left side reads: "Licenses to Carry Firearms (LTCFs) for PA residents (over 21 years of age)"
    ^this implies a person must be 22 to apply.

Should read: Licenses to Carry Firearms (LTCFs) for PA residents (21 years of age or older) <-direct quote from 6109.
    ^also in FAQ flyer

Technically, you are 21 years old on the 21st anniversary of your birthday, any time after that you are older than 21 years, even if not yet 22 years old.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast