Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default Scope on 7mm Rem rifle

Hi, I want to know which scope (not brand), like the power and objective diameter is recommended for my 7mm remington magnum rifle? I'm looking to hunt a buck with it but your opinion would be a big help... Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Scope on 7mm Rem rifle

sorry posted a reply for you on the other one before you moved it.

(Lycoming County)

yeah I saw the post but thanks anyway... I think a 50 in objective diameter would be better...

(Berks County)

There is really no general recommendation as far as the power of the scope and the objective is concerened. It is really all based off of how you plan to use the rifle and at what distances. If you are just setting up this rifle for deer hunting in PA then you really don't need anything more that a 3x9 power scope with a 40mm objective because in the woods you really wont want to use the scope over 6 power or so bc the field of view is then limited and it gets harder to steady the rifle off hand.

If you are looking to shoot the rifle at any distances further than 100 yards then i would look towards a 4-12, 4.5-14, 6-18 or 6.5-20. If you want the scope to have more light gathering capabilities then you could go towards a scope with a higher obejective such as a 44mm, 50mm or even a 56mm but keep in mind that if you go with a 50-56mm objective then you most likely will need High rings in order to get the clearance between the objective and the barrel and that might actually bring your head up off the cheek piece of the rifle which to some is uncomfortable. One other option is to go with a scope with a 30mm main tube as well.
    Last edited by Motown; August 1st, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo

(Allegheny County)

If you're just hunting in the PA woods, a 3-9x40 will do. If you will have frequent opportunities to shoot up to 250 yards, and are able/accurate enough to make that shot with confidence, a 4-12 x40 or 4-12x44 would be acceptable.

50 mm objective is nice, but for PA woods hunting, the extra bulk just isn't worth it.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

If you're just hunting in the PA woods, a 3-9x40 will do. If you will have frequent opportunities to shoot up to 250 yards, and are able/accurate enough to make that shot with confidence, a 4-12 x40 or 4-12x44 would be acceptable.

50 mm objective is nice, but for PA woods hunting, the extra bulk just isn't worth it.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Somerset County)

Agree about the 3-9X40 and the 50 mm comment. I don't agree however about needing 12X to shoot 250 yds.

My 270 Win has worn either a 4X or 6X scope since I bought it in 1976. I've shot several deer in the 275-350 yd range with those scopes. For big game hunting, I prefer a fixed power scope. Nothing to mess with, no chance of having too much power and not enough view, less weight, smaller package. KISS principle applies when hunting as does the fact that Murphy will be on your shoulder.

Leupold and Sightron have some nice 6X scopes but they're more $. Check out a Weaver 6X.

BTW, I do have a couple of variables (I wanted scopes with Rainguard for crappy weather) but they get set on about 5X when I hit the woods and I leave them there. Only place they see 9X is the range.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Agree about the 3-9X40 and the 50 mm comment. I don't agree however about needing 12X to shoot 250 yds.

My 270 Win has worn either a 4X or 6X scope since I bought it in 1976. I've shot several deer in the 275-350 yd range with those scopes. For big game hunting, I prefer a fixed power scope. Nothing to mess with, no chance of having too much power and not enough view, less weight, smaller package. KISS principle applies when hunting as does the fact that Murphy will be on your shoulder.

Leupold and Sightron have some nice 6X scopes but they're more $. Check out a Weaver 6X.

BTW, I do have a couple of variables (I wanted scopes with Rainguard for crappy weather) but they get set on about 5X when I hit the woods and I leave them there. Only place they see 9X is the range.

Dale
    the 1x per 100 yards/meters has always seemed to work well for me...however, I do have some 5-20x and a 5.5-22x. I have shot over what those scopes can handle...but it was indirect fire through a 120mm mortar
    Last edited by animalmother85; August 2nd, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.