Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    16988

    Default Training vs. Pay

    Ok, so most here know how much I hate my job....
    It's no secret, to anyone who doesn't know me.....

    I keep getting sent to these schools, to learn all about all the next gen. BS, coming out of Detroit...........

    Should I be getting something on my end, for learning how to fix theses computer generated abortions, Detriot is designing?

    I mean, really, I have a SHITLOAD of $$$ invested already, shouldn't my employer compensate me, for my knowledge, and expertise??????

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Castle, Pennsylvania
    (Lawrence County)
    Posts
    8,349
    Rep Power
    2864535

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    My program workload doubled this year.

    In this economy, my employer compensates me by letting me keep my job. In my agency they have to ask more from everyone or they won't survive.

    Lycansometimestheycan'tthrope

    I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    16988

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    My program workload doubled this year.

    In this economy, my employer compensates me by letting me keep my job. In my agency they have to ask more from everyone or they won't survive.

    Lycansometimestheycan'tthrope
    If the bolded was not an issue?
    What then?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Windsor Twsp., Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Age
    61
    Posts
    6,634
    Rep Power
    13384227

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Mrs. Curmudgeon's story sounds a lot like yours. She goes to work and puts in a performance that is WAY above her position and pay grade.

    And it's frustrating. For both of us. She gets to come home poorly compensated for her work, I watch her beat herself to death when she deserves better for all her training, capabilities, experience, and accomplishments.

    The folks who want to hold all the cards and play all the hands have been entrusted with the responsibility of maximizing profits at the front lines of corporate battle. They need to get as much from you as they can for the least compensation they can get away with. And they will. No justice at the workplace, no rewards aside from that which you yourself can grab while standing on the crushed faces of those around you.

    I'm just glad I'm not bitter about it.

    Let me tell you about a little story. The kind you never forget, and I haven't. It was 1973, I was still in high school, living at home, working part time for a major hotel chain. A busboy. Wow. Making a blistering $1.75 an hour evenings and weekends. After a year and a half, I was still making $1.75. Got a line on a much better job, STARTING at $3.65 an hour plus incredible bennies, and I wisely took it.

    Here's the story part. Shortly after putting in my 2 weeks notice, I was called to the manger's office, and couldn't help but notice a bunch of my co-workers leaving as I was entering. One of the senior waiters hadn't seen me enter and was telling the boss to offer me anything, the kitchen sink, but to not allow me to leave under any circumstances.

    Talk about mixed feelings. I never had ANY idea anyone felt that way about the work I had been doing. The best the manager could do was $2.50, top pay, and I could have it if I stayed. Not good enough, and he knew it.

    I will never forget my anger and how I felt taken advantage of for all the hours when I could have been making more money.

    1) I wasn't making that extra money because I never stood up for myself, asked for it, fought for it, whatever.
    2) I wasn't making that extra money because it was never going to be in the hotel's best interests to pay me more, when they could get the same performance and pay me less.

    When I finally got out of school and began my "career", I constantly looked to see opportunities... opportunities for me to do something for me. And I grew my income from $9600 per year in 1981 to $55,000 per year in 1998, an increase of 573%.

    No one ever pulled my aside and offered me more money as a thanks for the good job I had been doing, I had to fight and bargain and haggle for it all the way.

    Mrs. Curmudgeon has been promised the moon where she works. Promised, but not delivered. They keep talking about "the sky's the limit", but they still feed her peanuts, and she's about to leave. It's time.

    I really like that slogan from Monster.com, "There's a better job out there", and you know what? They're right. The search isn't always easy, but it's almost always worthwhile.

    If you don't think the current exchange of labor for compensation is working out for you anymore, it is only likely to change if you make it change. Work over you employer for it. If it ain't there, time to move on.

    I would wish you luck, but I don't believe in luck. and I don't personally think you need luck, if I may be so bold. I think you already have everything you need.

    But you may need to play the game in a new ball park.

    Good luck!!


    P.S. Sorry if this comes across as hokey. I keep re-reading it and it seems hokey, but I'm not sure how else to say it. Word smithery ain't one of my strong points.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,624
    Rep Power
    1150854

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Ok, so most here know how much I hate my job....
    It's no secret, to anyone who doesn't know me.....

    I keep getting sent to these schools, to learn all about all the next gen. BS, coming out of Detroit...........

    Should I be getting something on my end, for learning how to fix theses computer generated abortions, Detriot is designing?

    I mean, really, I have a SHITLOAD of $$$ invested already, shouldn't my employer compensate me, for my knowledge, and expertise??????
    I went through the same problem a few years ago. In order to fix cars you have to be a plumber, electrician, welder, the list goes on and on.... Yet you more than likely make less per year than any of the above with the same experience level. It sucks, I know I have been there. I got lucky and got out of the business. I spent 10 years with those roller coaster paychecks. One week its steak and potatos and the next its ramen noodles and pb&j.

    When I left the dealership, I had more than $60k invested in tools and about $6k in my education. I have not looked back... I haven't thrown a wrench in anger in almost 6 years.

    The only advice I can offer is, take some college courses or get out of the business. The only person who makes any real money in the car business is the guy who owns the shop
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    16988

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I went through the same problem a few years ago. In order to fix cars you have to be a plumber, electrician, welder, the list goes on and on.... Yet you more than likely make less per year than any of the above with the same experience level. It sucks, I know I have been there. I got lucky and got out of the business. I spent 10 years with those roller coaster paychecks. One week its steak and potatos and the next its ramen noodles and pb&j.

    When I left the dealership, I had more than $60k invested in tools and about $6k in my education. I have not looked back... I haven't thrown a wrench in anger in almost 6 years.

    The only advice I can offer is, take some college courses or get out of the business. The only person who makes any real money in the car business is the guy who owns the shop
    Well, Uncle Sam paid for my school, but I am sitting on 100K + in tools and equipment.....

    Problem is, I need to sell the t&e, to go to school, or whatever, I have other avenues to go, just have a huge investment to get rid of........

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    PGH, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    253711

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    My program workload doubled this year.

    In this economy, my employer compensates me by letting me keep my job. In my agency they have to ask more from everyone or they won't survive.

    Lycansometimestheycan'tthrope
    yeah, Ive been feeling a hell of a lot of that lately.

    it is frustrating.

    I used to really enjoy my job, but now they feel they can treat me however and I have no choice but to perform, and right now they are right.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    3434390

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Well, Uncle Sam paid for my school, but I am sitting on 100K + in tools and equipment.....

    Problem is, I need to sell the t&e, to go to school, or whatever, I have other avenues to go, just have a huge investment to get rid of........
    as an avid tool collector for the better part of 20 years i feel your pain. what i can tell you is that you unfortunately will not get close to the 100k you spent on them. bear in mind as a mechanic you should always have a job. it's not like they can ship the job overseas. but like others have said, if you're not happy you need to look elsewhere. good luck to you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    .
    Posts
    8,049
    Rep Power
    16988

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by GTI19403 View Post
    as an avid tool collector for the better part of 20 years i feel your pain. what i can tell you is that you unfortunately will not get close to the 100k you spent on them. bear in mind as a mechanic you should always have a job. it's not like they can ship the job overseas. but like others have said, if you're not happy you need to look elsewhere. good luck to you.
    2 of the big things are, 1 the dealership doesn't want to pay you, for what you know, and can do, 2 the public has no idea what we do...

    They drive 45 mins, then want you to change their oil, while they wait.......

    Anyone who thinks this is OK, try looking at where the oil filter is located on your car/truck....
    Then take into account, the oil and filter are about 300 deg F...........

    And the Catalytic converters are at about 1500 deg F................

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Norristown, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    3434390

    Default Re: Training vs. Pay

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    2 of the big things are, 1 the dealership doesn't want to pay you, for what you know, and can do, 2 the public has no idea what we do...

    They drive 45 mins, then want you to change their oil, while they wait.......

    Anyone who thinks this is OK, try looking at where the oil filter is located on your car/truck....
    Then take into account, the oil and filter are about 300 deg F...........

    And the Catalytic converters are at about 1500 deg F................
    might be time to look at a different dealership. if you lived closer to philly i'd have some recomendations for you. but i understand how you feel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ACT 235 Training
    By springfield24 in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: August 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM
  2. Training help??
    By Dannytheman in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
  3. DOC training
    By s.vermeire in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 14th, 2008, 09:40 PM
  4. training help?
    By mikey0086 in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 12th, 2008, 09:08 AM
  5. Looking for training...
    By Republicrat in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops