Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NY Times backing ammo bans in California

Title says it all.
    Last edited by Holden23; August 13th, 2010 at 01:58 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: NY Times backing ammo bans in California

I find it encouraging that most often when I call that number the line is busy.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Lebanon County)

I'd Support that, when and if we can expand it to other rights, such as publishing editorial pieces, voting, attending church, writing an article or news segment.... If you think those rules are too draconian for the other rights witch do just as much damage to individual lives, then you're not really in support of the end goal.

(Delaware County)

Is it just me or could any criminal easily go around this law? All they would have to do is have a buddy drive to a Wal-Mart in any other nearby state and pick up some boxes for them.

This is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    Is it just me or could any criminal easily go around this law? All they would have to do is have a buddy drive to a Wal-Mart in any other nearby state and pick up some boxes for them.

This is absurd.
    No, not just you, but unfortunately such basic concepts escape some of our legislators.

Unfortunately, it doesn't escape the others whose more sinister purpose is the disarmament of the populace. They don't want to stop criminals, they want to control everyone.

(Lancaster County)

What's scary about this is all of the others areas of life it could affect.

California is the world's 7th largest economy. Companies happily develop products simply to serve it, and then later they catch on in other areas.

You'll recall that California was the first state to require an emissions inspection for vehicles. A computerized device was developed to streamline that process. Shortly thereafter many more states (including this one) began requiring the emissions inspection using the same equipment.

This is no different. Companies will have to develop and market thumbprint scanning equipment that is efficient for use in a retail setting. It is simply not realistic to keep a paper print on file in the 21st century. Plus, they will need a scan to run against different databases.

Once the product is developed and widely available, more states will start requiring thumbprint scans for ammo and guns.

Eventually, it can easily be adapted to confirm identity for credit card users, people buying products that can be used "to make bombs" like hydrogen peroxide or fertilizer. Maybe you want to pick up a six pack or a carton of cigarettes, better scan the thumb and see if you're old enough!

The only thing these scanners won't be used for is confirming ID when voting. That would be soooo racist.

(Lancaster County)

Just got through (3 redials) and registered my objection.

The idea of having everyone's thumbprint in a registry should sound of numerous alarms. Not only are you being treated like a criminal, this type of acceptance leads to the next step, DNA. Thumbprints can easily be faked, DNA is a whole lot more difficult.

If these nanny-staters want to stop the BGs from committing crimes then they should focus on the root cause: the criminal, not on the tools used. Stop regulating law abiding citizens and trating them like criminals!
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(Chester County)

Three things:

1) california is crazy, and I hope the governator vetoes the bill.
    2) where is that broke state going to get the money for this program?

and the big one

3) just because there is an editorial in the NYTimes does not mean that the Times itself is backing that. Editorial pages are funny- they are used to give voices to lots of people, not necessarily the people that the editors and owners agree with.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Three things:

1) california is crazy, and I hope the governator vetoes the bill. No argument from me!
    2) where is that broke state going to get the money for this program? Where they always go to get the money, Uncle Sam [read: You and Me]

and the big one

3) just because there is an editorial in the NYTimes does not mean that the Times itself is backing that. Editorial pages are funny- they are used to give voices to lots of people, not necessarily the people that the editors and owners agree with. Good point to bring up
    Blue additions are my own.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(Lancaster County)

12 redials. Left my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast