Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default AR .22 conversion kit info needed

As some of you know I'm in the process of putting together a new AR. When I'm done with that I'm planning on buying a .22 conversion kit for my other AR. My local Mom and Pop gunshop has a ton of CMMG kits, are these any good? If you also run another manufacturers kit and have good things to say about it let me know.

I've also read about accuracy issues with the kits and the AR barrel twist rates. Imput on that subject is welcome too.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR .22 conversion kit info needed

I've heard the CMMG kits are pretty good, but you really have to clean the hell out of them after using 22lr. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I decided on a dedicated 22 ar and went with the S&W M&P 15-22, I love it!!

(Allegheny County)

Don't buy the Spikes kit. Buy the CMMG.
    I have the Spike's kit, and it was problems from minute one.

You will have gritty shit in your upper from firing .22LR, but it cleans up like anything else. Most of the fouling is contained to the bolt group / conversion anyway. With the occassional bit of grit ending up in the trigger group area. But you can make that a non-issue by picking up a receiver rug. It keeps the grit off the floor of the gun where it can actually do any harm.

It took a few thousand rounds before I pulled the FCG to clean up down there and I didn't have any problems... I just wanted to clean it. I did end up snapping a hammer pin, but I don't know if it was just a bad pin, or even how long it was broken. As the rifle still ran.

You will have to clean the barrel well. As it can leave heavier grit, and lead shavings depending on what ammo you shoot. Overall it's not a big deal. I have no problems with accuracy in a 1/9 twist 16" barrel. Even at 50 or more yds.

My problems were all pretty much related to the Spikes kit. Which, I have had very little luck with getting it to run with any consistency with any ammo. I got a new chamber adapter and that really helped. But it still needs more tweaking. And I haven't gotten out to do it yet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Don't buy the Spikes kit. Buy the CMMG.
    I have the Spike's kit, and it was problems from minute one.

You will have gritty shit in your upper from firing .22LR, but it cleans up like anything else. Most of the fouling is contained to the bolt group / conversion anyway. With the occassional bit of grit ending up in the trigger group area. But you can make that a non-issue by picking up a receiver rug. It keeps the grit off the floor of the gun where it can actually do any harm.

It took a few thousand rounds before I pulled the FCG to clean up down there and I didn't have any problems... I just wanted to clean it. I did end up snapping a hammer pin, but I don't know if it was just a bad pin, or even how long it was broken. As the rifle still ran.

You will have to clean the barrel well. As it can leave heavier grit, and lead shavings depending on what ammo you shoot. Overall it's not a big deal. I have no problems with accuracy in a 1/9 twist 16" barrel. Even at 50 or more yds.

My problems were all pretty much related to the Spikes kit. Which, I have had very little luck with getting it to run with any consistency with any ammo. I got a new chamber adapter and that really helped. But it still needs more tweaking. And I haven't gotten out to do it yet.
    Other than the cleaning which I find very relaxing any way,it sounds like a good deal.

I used to have a GSG-5 and I own a 10/22 so cleaning gunked up rimfires is right up my alley. I've seen those receiver rugs too,if I get a conversion kit I'll pick one up.

BTW I only use CCI mini-mags they usually have enough steam to cycle any semi-auto I've put them through.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; October 6th, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Allegheny County)

I have the Spikes kit in a M4gery and it ran right out of the box for me. I love the polished nickle finish, just wipe and oil. I also like the fact that they have "O" rings on the chamber portion (visit the site to find out the advantages). I run CCI mini mags in mine with no issues. I take out the conversion every 200 rounds or so to wipe it down. I've never cleaned the barrel, short of firing some 223 through it. I tried some Remington Golden bullets but had to many failures to fire even though I had good hits on the cartridge. I also bought 2 full size Black Dog 22 mags for the conversion kit. Now, my buddy has had a few problems with short stroking, but he hasn't tried the second spring included with the kit yet.

Link:
    http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=176

Last edited by Hawk; October 6th, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

I have the cmmg kit and I would give it a 6 out of 10.

-The coating on the assembly does not lend itself to being cleaned easily/well.
    -It gets absolutely dirty as hell after shooting even 50 rounds (guess they'll all do that).
    -Build quality feels cheap, its stamped parts.
    -Conversion kit got stuck in my LMT upper last time I took it out. Shot maybe 150-200 rounds to make this happen. I had to resort to prying the thing out with a knife.

Best thing would be to get a dedicated ar-22, I'd get some feedback on different brands of conversions before buying though...

(Berks County)

I shoot a CMMG Conversion. Shoots well. Both Eotech and BUIS still on target with the .22lr.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Philadelphia County)

For $200, it's a great kit.
    If money wasn't an issue, you could go with a dedicated upper with proper twist rate for .22lr, but don't let dissuade you from buying a CMMG kit.

You'll have alot of fun and enjoy the savings on .22lr vs .223!

(Northampton County)

My Spike's upper works fine. It needs good HV ammo. I had problems with CCIs because the max OD on the bullet is larger but that problem is gone for all I know after all the ammo I've shot. I've got almost 15K through it, mostly FA. If I wasn't shooting FA I would have simply bought a conversion. The Spike's is even more expensive now than when I bought it, and probably not worth it. But mine does indeed run.

(Allegheny County)

My son's bought me the CMMG kit for Father's Day past (great kids, huh?). I haven't had any issues with it in my DPMS and it shoots well. It does seem like a tight fit when the assembly is inserted, but it doesn't seem to create any issues that I've found yet. I haven't to have to muscle it out.

You were told correctly that there is an issue with the gun getting pretty dirty, but like anything else, it cleans up just fine.
    "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
    -Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast