Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Colt Defender Slide on a Colt New Agent?

I have a Colt New Agent that I have now put about 500 rounds through and like it very much, with one exception - the sights, or lack thereof. I like the feel of the gun, the thin grips, the great size and feel, and rather than buy another new gun, I was wondering if it would be possible to just buy a slide for a Defender with the low profile sights and stick it on my New Agent? When I purchased my Agent I figured the gutter sight would be easier on my hip for concealed carry, and it is, but after shooting my son's Kimber compact 45 I would like to have the sights. Would it work?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Colt Defender Slide on a Colt New Agent?

You would have to have the slide fitted to the barrel and frame.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Chester County)

hzox221 is absolutely correct. It would work with gunsmithing, but even if you could locate a factory Defender upper for sale, it'd cost a few hundred dollars, and then you'd have to pay another hundred for fitting. Factor in shipping costs (assuming you mail away for the fitting because you don't have a good local gunsmith) and you're almost halfway to the cost of a new Defender. Call it $300-400, if you're really lucky.

The cheapest route would be simply to have a gunsmith weld up the channel, cut for sights, fit sights, and then reblue or finish the slide. But there you're looking at $200, if you can find a local gunsmith to do it.

But that said, honestly, don't bother. I've owned 2 Defenders. Nifty little guns, when they work, but they're not target guns or tack drivers. Your Agent, if it works 100%, is a gem of a carry gun. It may not be good for pinhead sized groups at 15 yards, but it'll more than do the trick for self-defense. If you want a range gun, spend the money (plus a little bit) you'd spend on gunsmithing and get yourself a nice Springfield Loaded or Mil-Spec.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

I think your best option is to sell the gun and buy a defender.