Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default PSL: Talk me into, or out of it!

Aim has them for $579!

Back when Obama-crazy-wtf was going on back there, I was seeing them in stores for nearly $900. In fact you can still find them online selling for $800 no problem. Or higher.

Anyone have any good reasons why I shouldn't, or maybe why this particular batch of PSL's are inferior to others? (Etc)

I have a pretty good idea what it isn't. A Dragunov. Accurate like a Remington 700... etc.

I'm a pretty big AK fan, and I know this is just a long barreled AK that fires 7.62x54R. So going in I realize I'm not getting anything more than a slightly inferior copy of a DMR (the real dragunov isn't much more than a DMR either)

That being said, 7.62x54R is still presently available in surplus form, and still relatively inexpensive. Not to mention all the other varieties out there.

Plans include, shooting it as far out as I can eventually with better ammo. Maybe a nice IWD stock set, or the poly one from Confederated Arms... Slightly better Russian glass of some variety. And target shooting at slightly greater distances than my AK / AR carbine currently shoot without having to get into .308.

Opinions please. Especially from those who own them. Cousin's, brother's, sister's, mother stories don't really interest me as much as those of the people who have, or had them. What do you like about them, and what don't you?

I'm still in catch up mode, I've been doing as much reading as I can... but what are the common problems or things to look for? And does anyone know if the F/H's are pressed and pinned on these, or standard 14/1 LH thread w/plunger?

I'd like the option to be able to change out the original should I want to down the line. Preferably without having to get it threaded somewhere.

Info appreciated in advance!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: PSL: Talk me into, or out of it!

I've got one on my list of things to buy. I don't own one, but I've fired a few and I had nothing to complain about.

The AK type gas system reduces the recoil considerably. It's got a much longer barrel than a typical AK, so expect accuracy to be much better as well. For $579 you can't really go wrong.

My understanding is that most of the flash hiders are permanently attached. I'm sure with a little dremel work you could probably change that, but I also understand that some models have a plunger pin and others don't--so you may have a bit of a crap-shoot there.

It also appears that it'll take the aftermarket AK side mounted optic rails, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change your scope if necessary.

It sounds like a great price, and ammo is still readily available and cheap to shoot. I'd grab one before somebody else hears about it and buys them all.

I have no problem with mine, got a 8 power from Klinca optics. Goes bang every time, shells tend to piss off shooter to my right. They eject directly his way. LOL... They say to run the light bullets in it.. For that price , hit it.
    I talk jibberoush. pay attention.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I've got one on my list of things to buy. I don't own one, but I've fired a few and I had nothing to complain about.

The AK type gas system reduces the recoil considerably. It's got a much longer barrel than a typical AK, so expect accuracy to be much better as well. For $579 you can't really go wrong.

My understanding is that most of the flash hiders are permanently attached. I'm sure with a little dremel work you could probably change that, but I also understand that some models have a plunger pin and others don't--so you may have a bit of a crap-shoot there.

It also appears that it'll take the aftermarket AK side mounted optic rails, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change your scope if necessary.

It sounds like a great price, and ammo is still readily available and cheap to shoot. I'd grab one before somebody else hears about it and buys them all.
    Yeah that sucks. If it's the typical silver soldered on type deal I've grown accustomed to with these type of guns... shit. Give me 5 minutes and I'll have it off for you. I've done it to a number of AK's with soldered on muzzle nuts and various flash hiders. I hope it is that simple... and has a plunger. If it does not... then I have to buy a Romanian FSB and a plunger, press that shit off... get the barrel threaded... PITFA. I mean if I have to I have to. Obviously I would just prefer not to.

I run PWS stuff on all my black rifles. I see no reason why something of theirs will not end up on this too.

Quote Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
    I have no problem with mine, got a 8 power from Kalinka optics. Goes bang every time, shells tend to piss off shooter to my right. They eject directly his way. LOL... They say to run the light bullets in it.. For that price , hit it.
    Good stuff. I'm an easy sell since I think I REALLY do want it. But it's good to hear you like yours. +2 so far.

As for the brass... everything I own tosses brass in an unfriendly manner...

The AR I have, was a slickside upper until recently. No deflector... it will send them 15-20ft but lower. The AMD may possibly be the worst. It's new, and it sends them with extra "hugs and kisses" at face height. If that isn't enough, the snake brake sending the "can you hear me now BITCH" blast sideways along with a fireball usually is.

The AR is comp'd too. Ridiculous if you are anywhere to the side of me. I can feel it shear through the air around me when I am shooting. I wouldn't want to be standing just outside that bubble. It's not a nice bubble...

Given the nature of this kind of stuff, I only shoot on private property. Nobody wants to be deafened and hit in the face with hot brass. So I shoot where I can control the circumstances to a greater degree to ensure that doesn't happen.

Any more thoughts?

(Allegheny County)

No direct experience with them, but haven't hard anything bad about them at all. Just use light ball ammo.

Come on ... a stretched AK, you know you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

$579!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the cheapest I have seen them so far.

(Bucks County)

Good price. I shot my friend's PSL. I will preface this with he doesn't take very good care of his things (Makes me sad). It jammed a bit and had some light primer strikes.

However, when it was functioning, it kicked a lot of ass. I shot open sight and it was a lot of fun. Recoil was nothing particularly awful (mostly because it weighs a ton).

And as everybody else has said, don't use heavy ammo and soft point ammo seems to REALLY like jamming up.

If I had the money, I'd consider it at that price.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    If I had the money, I'd consider it at that price.

-Zach
    +1

definately a cool gun to add to your collection.

for the price of the gun, the price of the still dirt cheap ammo, and some practice, you could come proficient with this gun just as fast as with a high end rifle or a tricked out long range AR and you would save yourself over 1k.

AND the caliber is more powerful than 5.56 and "most" hunting calibers.

i think 7.62x54r is comparable to 30.06.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

What is the problem with shooting the heavy stuff? I don't really see why I would need to shoot it, I'm just wondering?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    What is the problem with shooting the heavy stuff? I don't really see why I would need to shoot it, I'm just wondering?
    Pretty sure its the twist rate on those barrels... I think it has a hard time stabilizing heavier grains...

Kinda like trying to shoot 77gr out of a 1/9 A/R... You can do it, but its not optimal.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast